2018 Chevrolet tires

You do however need ear plugs.

Some of us don't wish to hear our tires to make sure they are attached to the vehicle. If you would have recommended these ("E" rated ) tires for a heavier truck-you wouldn't got the static you received.

Some of us don't wish to hear our tires to make sure they are attached to the vehicle. If you would have recommended these ("E" rated ) tires for a heavier truck-you wouldn't got the static you received.
Userfriendy will do what Userfriendly does, just like Forrest Gump said. Big gnarly E-rated tires are just as noisy on F350s and 3500s.
Interesting observation using Bandag's BDR-W re-caps, they were quiet on pavement, but excessivly loud on snow.

www.bandag.com

That's what the stereo and Borla exhaust is for.
It sounds like you guys are too old and set in your ways to accept new ideas and solutions.
Being locked down with grandma will do that.
Think what I posted has nothing to do with age.
I put a low mileage $1200 set of Toyo AT’s (E) - off a GMC Canyon 4WD … and sold on CL.

Last edited:
I have had the Falken Wildpeak AT3W on my truck since last spring. They are very quiet for as aggressive as the tread is. They are awesome in both wet and dry. In the snow we had here in Dallas a month ago, they were amazing! I think they look great too. I would buy them again!

Attachments

• 126782E5-5C78-46C0-B237-ADD2184D21CD.jpeg
    126782E5-5C78-46C0-B237-ADD2184D21CD.jpeg
    143.3 KB · Views: 9
That's what the stereo and Borla exhaust is for.
It sounds like you guys are too old and set in your ways to accept new ideas and solutions.
Being locked down with grandma will do that.
I’d rather have a tire that’s not loud and still gets good traction. General ATx, Falken AT3W, Nitto Ridge Grappler would all be examples of that.

When I deal with someone having a tire noise complaint on their truck it’s usually got a set of Cooper tires on it. You keep turning your radio up, I’ll keep buying better tires.

Don’t put E rated tires on that small truck as some have suggested and some of the stiffest out there have been suggested …
E rated tires on an otherwise unloaded 3/4 ton (2500 Ram mega cab with 2 light love seats in the bed) was an unpleasant experience going down the highway… or any other road that wasn’t perfectly smooth.

I’ll be putting BFGoodrich KO2’s on my Ram, I’d put them on a midsize truck as well.

E rated tires on an otherwise unloaded 3/4 ton (2500 Ram mega cab with 2 light love seats in the bed) was an unpleasant experience going down the highway… or any other road that wasn’t perfectly smooth.

I’ll be putting BFGoodrich KO2’s on my Ram, I’d put them on a midsize truck as well.
It was the change in stability that bothered me the most. Agree where some said a 17” offers “help” … they can and these were 17” … but if they don’t flex on a short throw suspension under a light vehicle it’s going to pitch.
My Rubicon has 285 KO2’s but Jeep engineers required C rated … they ride pretty good … all coils + good shocks.
Toyo AT or ST Maxx are very heavy tires too … all unsprung weight … great tires for the right applications

I’d rather have a tire that’s not loud and still gets good traction. General ATx, Falken AT3W, Nitto Ridge Grappler would all be examples of that.

When I deal with someone having a tire noise complaint on their truck it’s usually got a set of Cooper tires on it. You keep turning your radio up, I’ll keep buying better tires.
Agree … I don’t get the mocking of people that assumes they never experienced off road tires. I purchased one of the original Swamper TSL’s … horrible tire on the road … could not balance … but so unstoppable in mud.
But, so bad that as an avid waterfowl hunter I made that truck an extra vehicle and kept it for years.

I ran E rated 33" Cooper AT3's on my lifted '12 F-150. Drove fine. No funky bounce, handled better than the Goodyear P's it came with and towing is more stable. That's my personal experience ( I probably use this truck more like a 3/4 ton).
Now I run Kenda Klever RT's in the same size (275/70R18). They are awesome. Easier to get to the wood honey hole (firewood), easier towing my ATV's and Jeep to the trail head, and snow traction is impressive.

All that said, obviously a P rated tire would offer a smoother ride, but it's been so long, I am unable to offer a direct comparison. For me, any difference was worth the size and load capacity upgrade. Not sure I would run an E on a mid-size pickup though.

If I had a 2018 Colorado Z71 (I think stock size is P255/65R17), I would probably upsize to P265/70R17 (approx. 30" to 31" tire).
As a 4x4/ATV/Jeep guy, that's just my preference. A quick search showed Walmart has Cooper AT P265/70R17's for $112 ea.

Agree … I don’t get the mocking of people that assumes they never experienced off road tires. I purchased one of the original Swamper TSL’s … horrible tire on the road … could not balance … but so unstoppable in mud.
But, so bad that as an avid waterfowl hunter I made that truck an extra vehicle and kept it for years.
I had a similar experience with Firestone Destination MT's on a Jeep. Loud, vibration from 45-55 but they would eat off road! As the vehicle was only a part time driver for bad weather, back roading or playing it was not a big deal. I would not have wanted them on my daily driver though.

My dad did start daily driving his Wrangler. So he wanted the Nitto Mud Grapplers taken off and I got him a set of General ATX which he is still very happy with for traction and especially for reduced road noise.

You have to give up a nice quiet ride and speed rating for tough AT tires with a deep heavy tread. Sure the load rating is redundant by at least double in most cases. Do I need a 129 load rating? No. Not even on a 3500. Do you need an H speed rating on your 1500? Not likely.

Nothing is bullet proof. A sharp stick will go through a G rated logging truck tire. I buy E rated tires because I need 18/32" deep tread to get home or out of my driveway. Not to mentioned un-plowed mountain passes andsharp fallen rocks at 3am.

Last week I drove from Winnipeg to Vancouver. Manitoba and Saskatchewan were dry and the 285/75/18 Toyo AT IIs loud on some surfaces and quiet on others. A quieter tire would have been nice, stereo, 5" exhaust behind a deleted LML and 42 years of railroad idustrial noise.
But when I got an hour outside of Calgary everything changed for the worse weather wise.
I was down to 70 kph from 130 in 4x4, traction control off in a white-out, the highway unplowed and big trucks in the ditch everywhere.
My other set is 295/65/20 Toyo CTs that I don't normally use on long trips, but suddenly I wish that I did this time.

11,336 shifts on a class one railroad and another thousand or so on a class 3, I do what I need to to to arrive alive.

Did anyone else notice the merge of CP and KCS last week?

Back