Switch back to OEM tire size?

My 1991 Chevrolet K1500 pickup originally had 225/75/16 tires. The previous owner, my employer, put 245/75/16 tires on the vehicle. I will probably replace them this summer or fall. I'm guessing that the 225 tires will be cheaper than the 245. Other than price, is there any reason not to switch back to 225 tires?

I would put the proper tire on it, the proper tire being the size it came with for use a legitimate "plus" strategy. If you aren't replacing wheels, a "plus zero" tire would maintain the approximate revs per mile (rolling diameter/circumference) and be wider, this would necessitate a lower aspect ratio. it also supposes the wheel is wide enough for the additional width.

A 245/75 is not a plus zero for a 225/75.

I went up a notch in width 265/60/18 ---> 275/60/18 which also means a taller sidewall on my Canyon just to have a little more cushion between the pavement and the wheels (and curbs and the wheels). The OEM size looked a little too 'car like' for my taste. Small cars are more sensitive to upsizing, in my experience. I like a truck to have a little more tread and sidewall to work with. It will affect your speedo, but but you can accommodate for that in your driving.

I went up a notch in width 265/60/18 ---> 275/60/18 which also means a taller sidewall on my Canyon just to have a little more cushion between the pavement and the wheels (and curbs and the wheels). The OEM size looked a little too 'car like' for my taste.
I can't imagine the difference in sidewall height between 265/60 and 275/60 being that noticeable.

As others have pointed out, the 245 size is a very, very common size and most places will have something in stock. They 225 size not so much. Otherwise, it comes down to looks and usage. Some people want the extra sidewall. Others don't care.

If it were me, I'd stick with the 245. I made a similar change on my late 90's F150's and ran 245/75/16 or 265/75/16 tires - both were very, very common sizes.

How is the truck going to be used? Is it a beater trash hauler run to Home Depot truck or is it nice? Does a few bucks matter? Do looks matter? I've always thought that the stock tires on the older trucks look way too small and have always done what your boss did, go up one size (at least) on the sidewall. 245 vs 225 is 4% difference, 2000 rpm will be 1920 rpm, does that matter? On Tire Rack my favorite Cooper AT/3s are the same price.

The drawbacks with a wider tire is that they will tend to float more in the snow/rain. Think of snowshoes. Bigger contact area so better in dry weather, always trade offs.

20 mm section width diff is maybe .5 inch diam and .25 width diff? The larger diameter will probably get a tiny bit extra hwy mileage with lower eng rpm at speed and also better ride. there is such minimal difference is it worth fretting over? Big tires on a truck also carry more weight and IMO look way better wben they look a little "Fat".

How is the truck going to be used? Is it a beater trash hauler run to Home Depot truck or is it nice? Does a few bucks matter? Do looks matter? I've always thought that the stock tires on the older trucks look way too small and have always done what your boss did, go up one size (at least) on the sidewall. 245 vs 225 is 4% difference, 2000 rpm will be 1920 rpm, does that matter? On Tire Rack my favorite Cooper AT/3s are the same price.
THIS ^^^

It depends on the use.

What size engine & HP? Large V8's accomodate larger sizes bettter. Small V8's and V6's = stock size.
Is truck going off road a lot? larger

Do you tow or carry heavy loads often? Stock size
Do you do lots of city driveing or climb hills & mountains? Stock size

Rear end gear ratio? Low geared =larger tires, high or medium geared = stock size.

You can see its a combination of factors that will influence the decision.

245 75r16 is a more common size. If you need a tire in an emergency situation youll be more likely to find one in that size.
I dunno, tires seem to be PLENTY common in OP's size:

OP, your mpg will go up, stress on trans brakes and suspension will go down. (y) Unless you do some heavy offroading, there's no reason I can see not to go back.

20 mm section width diff is maybe .5 inch diam and .25 width diff? The larger diameter will probably get a tiny bit extra hwy mileage with lower eng rpm at speed and also better ride. there is such minimal difference is it worth fretting over? Big tires on a truck also carry more weight and IMO look way better wben they look a little "Fat".
I don't think it quite works that way. Otherwise OEM makers would just put larger tires on their cars to get better gas mileage. They do everything they can to get every last drop of gas out. Larger tires also have more rolling resistance, I would think worse gas mileage.

I don't think it quite works that way. Otherwise OEM makers would just put larger tires on their cars to get better gas mileage. They do everything they can to get every last drop of gas out. Larger tires also have more rolling resistance, I would think worse gas mileage.
Plus larger tires are heavier, which means harder to put in motion, and harder to stop.

Plus larger tires are heavier, which means harder to put in motion, and harder to stop.
I would say that while that it's true, most brakes are strong enough to lock up the tires so the larger contact area should lead to shorter stopping distances on dry ground.

My comments were related to the general effect increased unsprung weight has on handling and fuel economy. Granted, it's probably not a huge effect in this case.

My recommendation to the OP would be to stick with OEM size/designation, unless he has a really good reason for doing the opposite.

Back