Tire recommendations for a 2018 Chevrolet Equinox

Hello everyone. My work car will be due for new tires soon. Its a 2018 Chevrolet Equinox LS with AWD. Current tires are the OEM Bridgestone Ecopia H/L 422 Plus in 225/65R17 102H. I have gone through two winters (live and work in ND) with these tires and can say without a doubt, this is the worst winter handling vehicle I have ever driven. I have lived in ND all my life and have quite a few winters under my belt. Needless to say, I won't be replacing with the same tires. Hoping a better set of tires will solve the winter traction issues. Winter only tires are not an option as I doubt my employer would cover two sets. Car is highway only (don't offroad) and I don't tow. Don't really have a budget since my employer will cover. Willing to put traction over wear and noise.

Here are a few I have been looking at:

- Continental CrossTrack LX25
- Firestone WeatherGrip
- Michelin CrossClimate SUV
- BFG Advantage TA Sport LT
- Bridgestone Turanza Quietrack

Any feedback or other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

The Firestone Weathergrip gets the highest score for winter traction at 9.4 on TR. So I’d prob lean towards that one.

The CrossClimate SUV is probably the best tire out of the ones you listed. Other good choices:
Toyo Celsius CUV
Nokian WRG4 SUV
Kumho Solus HA31

Goodyear Assurance Weatheready
Have to get from Tirerack.com if your local is out as they are being replaced with updated tire according to the seller of my Assurance Maxlife tires. Can't comment on much since I only have a couple hundred miles on them except that they are quite and smooth.

Thank you everyone for the feedback. Been doing some more research and the Toyo Celsius CUV have my interest. These "all weather" tires with the severe snow service rating appear to meet my needs.

Here are the FIRESTONE WeatherGrip . Plenty of deep sipes . Pictures are RIGHT to LEFT of surface .
IMG_3854.JPG
IMG_3855.JPG
IMG_3856.JPG
IMG_3857.JPG
IMG_3858.JPG

for snow grip and one set of tires.. there are now plenty of decent "all weather" choices.. most sacrifice tread life for traction however.

The Michelin Latitudes on the wifes 16 Equinox are at 37,000 mi and have lost only 2 /32nds of rubber and are good not great on snow.

The Michelin Latitudes on my 2015 Equinox were all down to 4/32 remaining after 42,500 miles. They were mediocre in snow, never good in rain. Ride was very hard even at the recommended 35psi.

Now have 16,000 miles on the Cooper Evolution Tours that replaced them. They ride way better than the original Michelins, perform the same in the snow, and are a little better in the rain. They are at about 6-7/32 remaining after 16,000 miles. They started with 9.5/32 when new, so they are doing OK. They have a 65,000 mile warranty, so if they get down to 2/32 before 65,000 miles Cooper will provide a prorated adjustment toward another set of Cooper tires.

If I lived in North Dakota, I would probably try the Cooper Discoverer EnduraMax

The Michelin Latitudes on my 2015 Equinox were all down to 4/32 remaining after 42,500 miles. They were mediocre in snow, never good in rain. Ride was very hard even at the recommended 35psi.

Now have 16,000 miles on the Cooper Evolution Tours that replaced them. They ride way better than the original Michelins, perform the same in the snow, and are a little better in the rain. They are at about 6-7/32 remaining after 16,000 miles. They started with 9.5/32 when new, so they are doing OK. They have a 65,000 mile warranty, so if they get down to 2/32 before 65,000 miles Cooper will provide a prorated adjustment toward another set of Cooper tires.

If I lived in North Dakota, I would probably try the Cooper Discoverer EnduraMax
Thanks for the info, have used Coopers on the truck for years. the last set cracked in the sidewall and got a new set prorated.

I run Falken's Wildpeak 6mo. of winter here in the UP on my T4R and I'll admit the Toyo's on the Lexus are just as good ice/snow and they're 4season.

Back