2017 Mazda CX-9 engine replacement

As a customer I would see the description and diagnosis but I see now that this is within the service dept and not yet back to the customer.

Not from the customer but I would expect something more on the diagnosis like a pressure test or something.

It seems they are familiar with this issue, or the engine falls in a certain production range. Could be instructions from Mazda to replace in case of coolant loss from th head area

The Skyactive 2.5T is used in just about every platform Mazda has (CX-30, CX-5, CX-9, 3, 6); many of them are high-volume sellers. I think the only vehicles that don't get the 2.5T are the MX-5 and CX-3. Given it's broad application across their product line, if there were a propensity for problems, I'd think it would be far more obvious. Yet this is the first major mechanical issue I've heard of in recent years regarding this engine.

This example seems to be a rare failure and it's good fortune that the OP had an extended warranty.

The Skyactive 2.5T is used in just about every platform Mazda has (CX-30, CX-5, CX-9, 3, 6); many of them are high-volume sellers. I think the only vehicles that don't get the 2.5T are the MX-5 and CX-3. Given it's broad application across their product line, if there were a propensity for problems, I'd think it would be far more obvious. Yet this is the first major mechanical issue I've heard of in recent years regarding this engine.

This example seems to be a rare failure and it's good fortune that the OP had an extended warranty.

Back