2017 Mazda CX-9 engine replacement

Welp.. my wife's Mazda CX-9 2.5t with 74,xxx miles is having a heart transplant. Apparently the head gasket failed, and warped the head, and according to the technician started to warp the engine block.
It never overheated just started smoking one day. I checked the oil, and it was down half a quart in 500 miles (completely abnormal for this vehicle) and I checked the coolant and it was almost empty!

Luckily we had extended warranty until 80k, and they're covering it. Thank God..
I've never heard of these vehicles having this problem, so it caught me off guard for sure.

Welp.. my wife's Mazda CX-9 2.5t with 74,xxx miles is having a heart transplant. Apparently the head gasket failed, and warped the head, and according to the technician started to warp the engine block.
It never overheated just started smoking one day. I checked the oil, and it was down half a quart in 500 miles (completely abnormal for this vehicle) and I checked the coolant and it was almost empty!

Luckily we had extended warranty until 80k, and they're covering it. Thank God..
I've never heard of these vehicles having this problem, so it caught me off guard for sure.
Interesting! That's the first year of the Mazda engine (2.5T), isn't it?

The previous model years used Ford's transverse 3.5/3.7 V6 with the troublesome internal water pump.

I asked the parts man at the Mazda dealership how the SkyActiv engines were holding up, and he said very well so far. They had only replaced one, and that was due to their tech messing up an oil change.

I hope yours is an anomaly, and am glad you had the warranty!

Interesting! That's the first year of the Mazda engine (2.5T), isn't it?

The previous model years used Ford's transverse 3.5/3.7 V6 with the troublesome internal water pump.

I asked the parts man at the Mazda dealership how the SkyActiv engines were holding up, and he said very well so far. They had only replaced one, and that was due to their tech messing up an oil change.

I hope yours is an anomaly, and am glad you had the warranty!
2016 was the first 2.5t, and I asked my dealer the same thing got the same answer pretty much lol. hopefully no more issues after this.

Well I called the dealer, and was told the engine is on back order of course, so it'll be in on the 19th as of now...
We've been driving a loaner (dealer courtesy vehicle) for over a month now.
No complaints, but I'm tired of changing car seat around.

Thank goodness you fell into the warranty period. A 2017 with a failed engine out of warranty would be a throwaway in my location.

Thank goodness you fell into the warranty period. A 2017 with a failed engine out of warranty would be a throwaway in my location.
It would definitely be expensive.. I am having the dealer price a few things since the engine will be out anyways.
water pump, belts, and thermostat. They said they wouldn't charge labor since that stuff will be pulled from the old engine.

Maybe it's more of a problem than what was originally thought

Attachments

• BDD93AF0-4B13-4CE2-899F-245584C331DC.jpg
    BDD93AF0-4B13-4CE2-899F-245584C331DC.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 148
That stinks, but I suppose it couldn't have happened at a better time concerning your warranty. I'm glad they are replacing it, hope it's back in your driveway soon!

That 2.5 L engine shares quite a few similarities to the ones used in ford escapes and fusions, as mazda designed it for ford. Overall great engines. Im sure it was a fluke.

All I know is what I've read, and that is Mazda "fixed" the issue people are having with head gaskets. I read that on the Mazda 247 forum.
I guess they are replacing them even outside of warranty for lots of people.

That 2.5 L engine shares quite a few similarities to the ones used in ford escapes and fusions, as mazda designed it for ford. Overall great engines. Im sure it was a fluke.
Different engine. These are SkyActiv engines which were a clean sheet design.

FWIW we haven't done any on the turbo engines. We have done head replacements a fair amount on non turbo applications, we are doing one right now, just waiting on injector spacers.

FWIW we haven't done any on the turbo engines. We have done head replacements a fair amount on non turbo applications, we are doing one right now, just waiting on injector spacers.
Is there any certain years that are having this issue? Or is it just kinda random?

What happened on this non turbo engine ?

Defective head gasket ?

What happened on this non turbo engine ?

Defective head gasket ?
The RO says "customer states smoke is coming out from hood, check and advise AND THERE IS STRONG SMELL" which is all the info I get besides the tech telling me to order the head and the list of parts to make it work.

Back