2017 mazda cx-5 m1 0w30 afe 4500miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
7300 miles on engine, 4500 on oil. Performed by Oil Analyzers.

Iron 7
Chromium 0
Aluminum 0
Copper 5
Lead 0
Tin 0
Cadmium 0
Silver 0
Vanadium 0
Silicon 13
Sodium 13
Sodium 3
Potassium 4
Titantium 0
Moly 97
Antimony 0
Lithium 0
Boron 129
Magnesium 636
Calcium 1748
Barium 0
Phosphorus 765
Zinc 948

Viscosity 8.0
Base 5.86
Oxidation 13
Nitration 11

Fuel dilution > 5%

Check for source of FUEL LEAK. Fuel is at a SEVERE LEVEL. Fuel dilution may be caused by component faults related to injectors, ignition/timing, or excessive blow-by. Additional causes include heavy throttle application, engine lugging, frequent short trips and excessive idling. FUEL DILUTION has caused viscosity to decrease moderately; FUEL DILUTION reduces the viscosity of the lubricant which decreases FILM STRENGTH and LUBRICITY and may lead to increased wear. Lubricant and filter change acknowledged. Resample at half interval.

I ran this sample this early in case of fuel dilution. I'm glad i did. This is my wife's vehicle, she drives 8 miles to work and 8 miles back 5 days a week, some longer trips on the weekend. This sample was taken at about 38f ambient after a 10mile drive.

I think this illustrates the effects of short trips with a DI engine, its not even really cold here yet.

It really knocked the viscosity of the 0w30 down to 8.0cst. The wear metals are low considering it only has 7300 miles. I'm thinking about mobil 0w-40 or maybe rotella 5w 40. I'll have to check the noack of those 2.

Other than oil choice and longer drives, Thoughts?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 147_Grain
Shorten the OCI to no more than 5,000 and take longer trips.

I may not have typed well, but the oci was 4500 miles.

Where is "out there"?

With the exception of the fuel dilution the report looks excellent. Super low iron numbers and no aluminium at all. The fact that this is a fairly new engine makes this even more exceptional since you would expect high numbers as normal. The fuel dilution is not causing problems as far as wear goes.

I think your oil choice is fine. Even without a turbo, my choice would be a SN+ d1G2 oil.

Anyway you can drive the vehicle more? I am assuming you are in a cold region.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Where is "out there"?

With the exception of the fuel dilution the report looks excellent. Super low iron numbers and no aluminium at all. The fact that this is a fairly new engine makes this even more exceptional since you would expect high numbers as normal. The fuel dilution is not causing problems as far as wear goes.

I think your oil choice is fine. Even without a turbo, my choice would be a SN+ d1G2 oil.

Anyway you can drive the vehicle more? I am assuming you are in a cold region.

North Carolina here, I am surprised as well as i would have expected more iron and possible copper during the first 10-15k. I did choose the 0w30 afe as it is a D1G2 oil.

With no turbo i'm not worried about LSPI. So i'm thinking about mobil 1 esp 0w 40 which is dexos 2. Can't find a noack for the 0w 40 esp.

Rotella t 5w 40 noack is 12.8

Last edited:
Okay your area is not drastically cold. Can we rule out excessive idling? Engine lugging is possible depending on your wife's driving habits and driving route. In city driving the transmission shifts up rather quickly.

Since we both own the same vehicle, I'll tell you my experience. I stick with 5k oil changes. We short trip our CX5 a fair amount but I try to drive the long way when I can. I also run 92 premium. On my oil changes I've smelled very little in the way of fuel. Since I haven't done any analysis I cannot be accurate so there is that.

It would be good to take the vehicle out for a good run. These SkyActiv engines love to be wound up and run. If you have done hills nearby that will get the rpm up.

Okay your area is not drastically cold. Can we rule out excessive idling? Engine lugging is possible depending on your wife's driving habits and driving route. In city driving the transmission shifts up rather quickly.

Since we both own the same vehicle, I'll tell you my experience. I stick with 5k oil changes. We short trip our CX5 a fair amount but I try to drive the long way when I can. I also run 92 premium. On my oil changes I've smelled very little in the way of fuel. Since I haven't done any analysis I cannot be accurate so there is that.

It would be good to take the vehicle out for a good run. These SkyActiv engines love to be wound up and run. If you have done hills nearby that will get the rpm up.

She drives easy, so thats part of it and clearly 8 miles in cooler weather is not getting it hot. I could have her drive it in sport mode, it would never go into overdrive at her 45-50 mph drive, but would use more fuel. I hate to rev engines that are not warm though.

Last edited:
I hear ya. It's a conundrum. We only put about 5k a year on ours so our situation is similar. We have taken ours on a couple of longer drives, 300+ miles so I think that helps.

I'm in the same situation, a 7 mile commute to work. In the winter time it's brutal. It's the first time I've ever seen the oil level rise above the top oil dipstick hole, due to fuel. I'd run an oil with a narrower spread, like EP 0w20.

Originally Posted by spasm3

I ran this sample this early in case of fuel dilution. I'm glad i did. This is my wife's vehicle, she drives 8 miles to work and 8 miles back 5 days a week, some longer trips on the weekend. This sample was taken at about 38f ambient after a 10mile drive.

I think this illustrates the effects of short trips with a DI engine, its not even really cold here yet.

It really knocked the viscosity of the 0w30 down to 8.0cst. The wear metals are low considering it only has 7300 miles. I'm thinking about mobil 0w-40 or maybe rotella 5w 40. I'll have to check the noack of those 2.

GREAT Report BTW,

I see and understand your concern but dont be concerned.

1. Oil samples are supposed to be taken when the oil is at full operating temperature, A 10 mile drive on a 40 degree day doesnt come close to full operating temperature and why so much fuel. Yes, it gives you an idea how much fuel is in your oil on short trips you run your car but so what? Everyone elses (D/I) automobile is the same, you just dont know it because you dont have cold oil UOAs in here.

2. There are 7 model years of Skyactive engines on the road, highest compression mass produced engine in the world and it has been rock solid.
Yet in your case, you are building your own reasons to completely ignore the oil recommendations of the manufacturer, who designed (and patented the design) to do your own oil weight because you know better? I dont think so.
Your already running a 0/30 instead of a 0/20 or 5/20. That to me is fine, I dont use 20 in any of my vehicles and currently run 5/30 in my Mazda and Durango but now you are thinking about a 40?

3. Dont take my comments personal, actually I am trying to reassure you. You didnt go out and buy a rock solid Mazda because of all the bad reviews of the engines blowing up right? Of course not, because their aren't any.
Yet, I feel you are looking to blow up your own because you think you are smarter then the people who built the engine ... :eek:)

Id say just add in a decent 30 minute trip every weekend or 2 and see if that helps work it off. Easiest place to start really. Or swap cars a week or so at a time and give hers a decent commute.

To make you feel a bit better, at least you didn't get a letter from Honda-Canada saying one symptom of "overly diluted" engine oil in the 1.5T is a "Low oil pressure light illuminated due to moisture freezing in the oil pan". Honda goes on to say this is not the worst-case scenario. Cripes.

Originally Posted by alarmguy
Originally Posted by spasm3

GREAT Report BTW,

I see and understand your concern but dont be concerned.

1. Oil samples are supposed to be taken when the oil is at full operating temperature, A 10 mile drive on a 40 degree day doesnt come close to full operating temperature and why so much fuel. Yes, it gives you an idea how much fuel is in your oil on short trips you run your car but so what? Everyone elses (D/I) automobile is the same, you just dont know it because you dont have cold oil UOAs in here.

2. There are 7 model years of Skyactive engines on the road, highest compression mass produced engine in the world and it has been rock solid.
Yet in your case, you are building your own reasons to completely ignore the oil recommendations of the manufacturer, who designed (and patented the design) to do your own oil weight because you know better? I dont think so.
Your already running a 0/30 instead of a 0/20 or 5/20. That to me is fine, I dont use 20 in any of my vehicles and currently run 5/30 in my Mazda and Durango but now you are thinking about a 40?

3. Dont take my comments personal, actually I am trying to reassure you. You didnt go out and buy a rock solid Mazda because of all the bad reviews of the engines blowing up right? Of course not, because their aren't any.
Yet, I feel you are looking to blow up your own because you think you are smarter then the people who built the engine ... :eek:)

The people who built the engine are in Japan and have different fuel quality and octane and even the engines have higher compression ratios as a result of the higher compression ratio they have (14:1 vs the US spec 13:1)

Sure Mazda says you can use regular 87 octane but I certainly don't in my 2014 Mazda 3. I use 93 octane and have ZERO fuel dilution in my samples because the fuel burns better once the ECU adjusts timing. This is how the engine was designed and they had to DETUNE it for US spec. I'm not too fond of this but it is what it is.

The wife does short trips taking the kid to school and back 2x each and every day. I have no fuel dilution issues with my 2.0L Skyactiv.

" I hate to rev engines that are not warm though."

I just noticed that statement.

There is a blue light that tells you the engine is cold. While it's illuminated I take it easy as well. It usually goes off within a short period. Yours should be off early on in that 8 mile commute. Once it's off I drive normally. These engines warm up quickly.

stick with the CAFE 0/20 and you'll be using oil in a couple years, I'm on board with your 0/40, give it a try.

Originally Posted by dblshock
stick with the CAFE 0/20 and you'll be using oil in a couple years, I'm on board with your 0/40, give it a try.

More broken record falsehoods.

This. Very little to no fuel dilution in my 1.5T civic running 93 octane by costco

" I hate to rev engines that are not warm though."

I just noticed that statement.

There is a blue light that tells you the engine is cold. While it's illuminated I take it easy as well. It usually goes off within a short period. Yours should be off early on in that 8 mile commute. Once it's off I drive normally. These engines warm up quickly.

The blue light is not an indication of oil temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back