2017 Grand Cherokee 3.6 Pentastar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CrAlt
Originally Posted By: jaynissan12

So far, I have used 5w-20 havoline pro DS, did fine, used 5w-30 QSUD, did fine, Castrol Mag 5w-30, did fine, Napa Syn 5w30, again did fine. I haven't noticed any difference in power, acceleration or fuel mileage when I went from 5W20 to 5W30. So far I have ran NAPA the most due to their sales before the year ended, really liking the oil. I tend to stick to semi syn or synthetic oils, just what I prefer, but I am thinking that the oil that came with it from factory was pennz yellow bottle. Choice of filter seems to matter with this engine, I hear lifter tick for a few seconds on a cold start with everything but the mopar filter. I may scale back to 5w20 again and see if I still can't notice a mpg difference.

Have you noticed any difference in sound from the w20 vs w30? The only thing I wish I could lessen with my 3.6 is the start up lifter noise after it has sat for a few days.

I wish I could find out if anything has changed in the engine design to go along with these changes over the years in the oil spec. They have VVT that uses oil and multispeed oil pumps. When they went from 5w30, 5w20 and i guess now 0w20 has anything with those systems changed?

No, this has more to do with the filter than the oil. The noise you hear is only a few seconds, telling you that the oil filter housing was dry and not primed. It doesn't matter which brand you use, that little part of it they call a check valve doesn't really seal all that well, so a day or two of not running and its clickety clack for a second. Most vehicles I have ever owned did that though if I didn't run them a day or two.

To answer your second question, the oil pump isn't tied to the VVT system that I know of, but it is a two stage pump. That thing will increase psi to 90+ with cold oil and gradually drop into the 80s, then after 156 degrees F it goes to the more open stage and settles in the 20s and 30s unless you high rev the engine. I didn't see that much pressure difference between using 5W-20 and 5W-30 to be honest. With the SN oils we have, there really isn't a whole lot of viscosity difference between the two, just the 30 having a small advantage in oil film thickness, only reason I use it with my driving habits. I mean looking at the hot viscosity of the oils, a 30w typically is around 10 and a 5w-20 is typically around 8.5, some are close to 9. So we are talking about very very little difference between the two.

Originally Posted By: MysticGold04
Thanks for the info in this thread. I have a 2017 Durango with the P-Star V6. We really like it alot! I have been thinking about what oil I'm going to use when the FF is done. I will definitely use Mopar filters.

Its really a personal preference thing, most oils will do the job adequately, but one thing I would not push is the oil life gauge, according to it, it will take you out to 10K miles before telling you its time to change no matter what oil you put in it, it doesn't know the difference. Not all oils, even some synthetics are made to go that long. I would limit it to 6-7K miles, but that's just my opinion. Now if you use something that is known to go that far and do well, like Pennz Platinum, its probably safe to do the 10K. If you use Valvoline/Napa or any other sodium additive oil (also includes royal purple SN line), I would limit it to what I said unless you want to do sampling to really see how far you can stretch it with those oils. I personally don't want to pay for sampling lol so I take no chances and dump the Napa Syn. at 6-7K. Its not a knock on those oils, they are fine oils, I use them obviously, just not made to go the long haul with the additive packs they use.

As far as issues, the only one, that isn't limited to the 3.6, that's becoming common, is the oil pressure sensor failing. If that happens I hope its still in warranty lol because you have to remove the intake manifold just to reach it. Luckily mine was still under warranty. Haven't heard many complaints about the cracked heads issue since Chrysler Fiat addressed it before the '14 models rolled out.

On the transverse models, you can access the sensor without removing the intake manifold...

MotorCity Mechanic (YouTube) has a nice vid showing how to... 3.6 oil pressure sensor replacement

Originally Posted By: RD_3 formerly AKA
As far as issues, the only one, that isn't limited to the 3.6, that's becoming common, is the oil pressure sensor failing. If that happens I hope its still in warranty lol because you have to remove the intake manifold just to reach it. Luckily mine was still under warranty. Haven't heard many complaints about the cracked heads issue since Chrysler Fiat addressed it before the '14 models rolled out.

On the transverse models, you can access the sensor without removing the intake manifold...

MotorCity Mechanic (YouTube) has a nice vid showing how to... 3.6 oil pressure sensor replacement

Nice, unfortunately that's not the case for me with the RAM. One other thing I forgot to mention and this may also be different on the transverse models. The oil filter housing is an oil cooler as well and sits right in the V channel on the RAM, if you drip or spill any oil down in that channel when changing the filter, its nearly impossible to get it all out. I made a mistake and didn't pay attention to the O ring for the cap while tightening it down, it slipped out of position. I ran it about a 100 miles, parked with engine running, smelled hot oil, not burned oil, just hot oil. From that point on until this year, I had a few centimeters of oil just sitting in that channel where it sprayed or seeped out, and smelled it every time you come to a stop lol when they changed the sensor I politely asked them to wipe it out the best they could. Now I can barely smell it from a fully hot stand still, so big improvement. Don't make my mistake, was very dumb, one of those head slappers. The only maxed versions of this engine, that I know of, is in the Ram and Challenger at 305hp.

The oil cooler/filter housings leak oil also. I've done over 100 of them already and not a fun job
frown.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: car51
The oil cooler/filter housings leak oil also. I've done over 100 of them already and not a fun job
frown.gif

I read about those, thought that was the case for mine until I was able to soak most of the standing oil up using many paper towels and a long screw driver to get down in there. Monitored for a few weeks and didn't see new oil appearing. Had the technician wipe as much residue out as he could reach, which isn't all of it but did help it. Seems they had more issues on other vehicles than the RAM in regards to bad housing seals/cracks. Not much reported on the RAM, don't know what the difference is.

frown.gif

Very aware of that issue as well, its a horrible design.

I'm curious, have all of your replacements been covered by the FCA powertrain warranty, if the said vehicle was still within the covered period?

Nice, unfortunately that's not the case for me with the RAM. One other thing I forgot to mention and this may also be different on the transverse models. The oil filter housing is an oil cooler as well and sits right in the V channel on the RAM, if you drip or spill any oil down in that channel when changing the filter, its nearly impossible to get it all out.

Same design/location on all models in regards to the oil cooler/adapter location.

Well, since the 2017 specs 0w-20 now, I opted for and bought Valvoline Synpower Full Syn. (mentions MS6395 spec on the bottle) I bought some OEM filters off of ebay, so now I can't wait to change the oil. I will most likely change it between 4-5K and get the factory fill out.

Originally Posted By: JetStar
I'm pretty sure My wife's 2017 Wrangler still calls for 5W-20. Planning on doing the first change at 5000 Mi.

Yes, they want you to use 5w20 for CAFE reasons. I would download the full manual online, should be a lot bigger than the one supplied with the vehicle and see if the loop hole for 5w30 is still in there. If it is, it gives you options without voiding anything. My guess is, if you ever have an engine failure and they try to blame it on oil, anybody that doesn't go to the stealership to do oil changes is going to have a fight on their hands. Happened to my father with a Suzuki some years ago, threw a rod, they blamed oil.

Forgot about that. My Wrangler's oil pressure sensor went bad at 8k as well.

Originally Posted By: jayg

Hope it doesn't happen on our Durango...so far it has been problem free in 16,000 miles and 13 months old.

Originally Posted By: legandrex

Hope it doesn't happen on our Durango...so far it has been problem free in 16,000 miles and 13 months old.

Happened on my '14 Charger. Mind you, that was a 6.4L and it is right on the front of the engine.

Mine didn't go out till about 29K miles. They give you no warning, so don't freak out when you get the check engine light and see your oil pressure pegged at 99 psi all of a sudden.

Last edited:

I hope it doesn't happen to me either on my 2016 Wrangler. Given a choice though I'd rather have the oil pressure sensor go than have the left cylinder head go bad. Hopefully both those issues are history.

Happened on my '14 Charger. Mind you, that was a 6.4L and it is right on the front of the engine. [/quote]

If I am not mistaken, its the same part number on the 3.6, 5.7, and 6.4........I did a bit of research on it when mine failed to see if it was common.

Hope it doesn't happen on our Durango...so far it has been problem free in 16,000 miles and 13 months old. [/quote]

I hope it doesn't happen to me either on my 2016 Wrangler. Given a choice though I'd rather have the oil pressure sensor go than have the left cylinder head go bad. Hopefully both those issues are history. [/quote]

I wouldn't worry about it. Every now and then you might see someone complain about the head issue, but it seems to have worked itself out over time. Many RAM owners are used to Hemi's and some don't like the 3.6L because it gets its power in the upper RPM range, but honestly I love mine, its been one of the better compromises offered in a full size truck. What I dread is doing maintenance on the trans, that's gonna get expensive.

I hope it doesn't happen to me either on my 2016 Wrangler. Given a choice though I'd rather have the oil pressure sensor go than have the left cylinder head go bad. Hopefully both those issues are history. [/quote]

I wouldn't worry about it. Every now and then you might see someone complain about the head issue, but it seems to have worked itself out over time. Many RAM owners are used to Hemi's and some don't like the 3.6L because it gets its power in the upper RPM range, but honestly I love mine, its been one of the better compromises offered in a full size truck. What I dread is doing maintenance on the trans, that's gonna get expensive. [/quote]

I'm pretty sure the issue is history. I like the engine, compared to the 3.7 I have in the Liberty it makes a lot more power. The 3.7L has been problem free so far, I hope I have the same luck with the Pentastar.

frown.gif

Were these just on the 2014 model or are you seeing this on later models. What is the part number revision up to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back