2017 Grand Cherokee 3.6 Pentastar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobil 1 0w20 doesn't meet the Chrysler MS6395 spec, if that matters to you. If you want to comply with the warranty and use a Mobil product use Super 5W20.

BTW nice ride!

Did they change the recommendation from 5W-20 to 0W-20? I've been using my stash of $2 PUP 5W-20 in our Wrangler with the Pentastar.

Id stick with the chrysler specs which even VWB meets so you know it's not super hard to meet.. Educate yourself on the pentastar cylinder heads cracking. They say they've fixed it but they haven't. I had a 14 Wrangler with the revised heads and they still cracked at 18k miles.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
Did they change the recommendation from 5W-20 to 0W-20? I've been using my stash of $2 PUP 5W-20 in our Wrangler with the Pentastar.

Yep. Hard to believe these engines started out with 5w30, then 5w20 and now 0w20. Seems like I also remember reading something on allpar that the sump size was reduced to 5qts from 6qts - this was done to shave off some weight. They also now have liquid cooled EGRs.

It is true that the Super Synthetic Mobil meets the Spec but Mobil 1 and EP do not. Well, that's per the label and I'm sure the better Mobil 1 and EP do meet it but Mobil hasn't certified them.

I use Mobil 1 EP in our 2014 Jeep GC Overland 3.6. I was using the recommended 5/20 but now use 5W/30 as I am more comfortable with 5w/30. No loss of mileage or any difference noticed between 5w/20 and 5w/30.

Originally Posted By: Mantooth

Yep. Hard to believe these engines started out with 5w30, then 5w20 and now 0w20. Seems like I also remember reading something on allpar that the sump size was reduced to 5qts from 6qts - this was done to shave off some weight. They also now have liquid cooled EGRs.

Not hard to believe at all as CAFE has struck again. I'd use 5w30 in this engine. Any solid 5w30 would work fine, and UOA would tell the tale of OCI.

edit: just had this engine in a 2016 Challenger....and previously in a 2015 Durango. Plenty of power!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GMBoy
It is true that the Super Synthetic Mobil meets the Spec but Mobil 1 and EP do not. Well, that's per the label and I'm sure the better Mobil 1 and EP do meet it but Mobil hasn't certified them.

I use Mobil 1 EP in our 2014 Jeep GC Overland 3.6. I was using the recommended 5/20 but now use 5W/30 as I am more comfortable with 5w/30. No loss of mileage or any difference noticed between 5w/20 and 5w/30.

I've been using PU 5W30 in my 2016 Rubicon. I'm impressed with the engine. They do run a bit on the hot side though with the cooling system fan programmed to come on at 226F at its lowest speed.

What I found interesting was the engine was originally spec'd for 5W30, then they changed over to 5W20 with no other choices. My 2016 states 5W20 on the fill cap but says 5W30 is OK in the owners manual if 5W20 isn't available. I got the feeling they were flip flopping.

Capacity is still 6 qts.

Originally Posted By: Stewart Fan

Capacity is still 6 qts.

I thought the PUG upgrade held 5 quarts now?

CAFE brought them down to 5w20...this engine was built with 5w30 specified. Currently, I am running Kendall GT-1 FS 5w30 in both of my vans...of which I am thoroughly impressed.

This engine has plenty of power, even in the Caravans.

my 15 wrangler sport has 45000 miles and has had 0 issues to date. been using 5-30 PP and a mopar filter.

Last edited:
MS5K meets the spec - that's what I use in my son's '15 Chrysler 200S w the Pentastar. No issues. I'm sure M1 OW-20, 5W-20 or 5W-30 would be more than fine. With a 6 qt sump, even SuperTech dino should work well.

Here is my 2 cents since I have this engine (the maxed out version) in my '14 Ram. Great engine BTW, good combo or towing, power and gas mileage.

Ok, my filler cap and manual says 5w-20, but if you download the "full" manual, there is a loop hole that allows 5w30 if 5w20 is not available. It doesn't mention 0w-20. The engine was originally designed for 5w30. If you do not tow or do not drive spirited often, you will not see any difference in wear between the 5w20 and 5w30. I live in a mountainous region, so my engine can be under a load at times, due to this I use 5w30. I know my manual says the sump is like 5 3/8 quart including the filter, but what I have found is six quarts does the job according to the dipstick. Now with this engine, the oil seems to be slow about draining back to the sump after shutoff, so if you check your oil level, make sure you give it about 30 mins to settle, even the dealership screwed this up for me by not waiting and adding an extra quart to what I already had, but not enough to harm anything.

So far, I have used 5w-20 havoline pro DS, did fine, used 5w-30 QSUD, did fine, Castrol Mag 5w-30, did fine, Napa Syn 5w30, again did fine. I haven't noticed any difference in power, acceleration or fuel mileage when I went from 5W20 to 5W30. So far I have ran NAPA the most due to their sales before the year ended, really liking the oil. I tend to stick to semi syn or synthetic oils, just what I prefer, but I am thinking that the oil that came with it from factory was pennz yellow bottle. Choice of filter seems to matter with this engine, I hear lifter tick for a few seconds on a cold start with everything but the mopar filter. I may scale back to 5w20 again and see if I still can't notice a mpg difference.

As far as issues, the only one, that isn't limited to the 3.6, that's becoming common, is the oil pressure sensor failing. If that happens I hope its still in warranty lol because you have to remove the intake manifold just to reach it. Luckily mine was still under warranty. Haven't heard many complaints about the cracked heads issue since Chrysler Fiat addressed it before the '14 models rolled out.

Thanks for the info in this thread. I have a 2017 Durango with the P-Star V6. We really like it alot! I have been thinking about what oil I'm going to use when the FF is done. I will definitely use Mopar filters.

Originally Posted By: jaynissan12

So far, I have used 5w-20 havoline pro DS, did fine, used 5w-30 QSUD, did fine, Castrol Mag 5w-30, did fine, Napa Syn 5w30, again did fine. I haven't noticed any difference in power, acceleration or fuel mileage when I went from 5W20 to 5W30. So far I have ran NAPA the most due to their sales before the year ended, really liking the oil. I tend to stick to semi syn or synthetic oils, just what I prefer, but I am thinking that the oil that came with it from factory was pennz yellow bottle. Choice of filter seems to matter with this engine, I hear lifter tick for a few seconds on a cold start with everything but the mopar filter. I may scale back to 5w20 again and see if I still can't notice a mpg difference.

Have you noticed any difference in sound from the w20 vs w30? The only thing I wish I could lessen with my 3.6 is the start up lifter noise after it has sat for a few days.

I wish I could find out if anything has changed in the engine design to go along with these changes over the years in the oil spec. They have VVT that uses oil and multispeed oil pumps. When they went from 5w30, 5w20 and i guess now 0w20 has anything with those systems changed?

Last edited:
I run Maxlife 5w-20 currently in my 3.6 because I like the Dexos spec. But honestly any conventional 5w-20 that meets MS-6395 is plenty of you follow the oil life monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back