2017 Ford C-Max Energi 6658 Miles

17 C-MAX ENERGI-230820 (1).jpg

"The universal averages for this engine are specific to hybrids, but not necessarily all plug in hybrids. There are 279 samples in the file currently; many are from the C-Max Energi and Fusion Energi, and there are also some traditional hybrid MKZs in the file, as well as C-Max and Fusion models that may be traditional hybrids. Not all of our customers specify whether they have a standard hybrid verses the plug in version. As more of these engines come onto the market and oil data pool increases, we'll know more about what's normal for these vehicles, but no matter the circumstances, it's hard to be concerned with every single wear metal in the single digits like we found in your sample. Even if the combustion engine was running for a fraction of the miles you provided on the oil, these would still be fantastic results."

That's good to see this good report. These 2.0L I think are solid engines. This is not turbo right?

That's good to see this good report. These 2.0L I think are solid engines. This is not turbo right?
Correct - it is normally aspirated. It was driven only three miles prior to changing the oil which probably explains the fuel dilution. Normally I maintain tight control over the ICE such that if it does start it also has plenty of time to fully warm up. The only two numbers I am concerned about are Silicon and Insolubles. A new air filter is in the cards next week.

The owners manual calls for a two year or 20K mile OCI. Roughly 6000 miles and 70 gallons of fuel have transpired since the oil change so two years may be possible. Time will tell.

Correct - it is normally aspirated. It was driven only three miles prior to changing the oil which probably explains the fuel dilution. Normally I maintain tight control over the ICE such that if it does start it also has plenty of time to fully warm up. The only two numbers I am concerned about are Silicon and Insolubles. A new air filter is in the cards next week.

The owners manual calls for a two year or 20K mile OCI. Roughly 6000 miles and 70 gallons of fuel have transpired since the oil change so two years may be possible. Time will tell.
A 20k mile or 2 year interval...am I reading that right?

A 20k mile or 2 year interval...am I reading that right?
Yes, that's what the owner's manual calls for. They way I operate this car is such that it won't burn 250 gallons in 20,000 miles. Looking at it from that perspective it's similar to a 10K OCI in a 40 MPG vehicle. If driven sensibly the hybrid system allows the engine to warm up gently which should be easier on the oil. The infotainment system has a display that shows how much either power source is contributing to propulsion and it is clear that the EV components allow the ICE to warm up before it becomes the dominant power source.

Yes, that's what the owner's manual calls for. They way I operate this car is such that it won't burn 250 gallons in 20,000 miles. Looking at it from that perspective it's similar to a 10K OCI in a 40 MPG vehicle. If driven sensibly the hybrid system allows the engine to warm up gently which should be easier on the oil. The infotainment system has a display that shows how much either power source is contributing to propulsion and it is clear that the EV components allow the ICE to warm up before it becomes the dominant power source.
Awesome, I don't know a whole lot about hybrids & this is one of those details you learn from ownership. It makes sense if the ev motor is picking up the load more allowing you to have a longer drain interval. And based on your uoa even a 10k interval would still be excellent results.

Back