2015 Honda CR-V AWD excessive oil cunsumption

Maybe your are right. But my point is that high quality High Mileage oils contain extra detergents to help fight sludge and deposits from forming.
If the root cause of your gummed up, stuck oil control ring is burnt, 'PCV recycled' oil, then all the detergent, dispersant & ZDDP in the world won't help you one tiny jot. If anything, by making the oil harder to oxidise (which is what burning is) it would tend to INCREASE the level of deposits, not reduce them

My subaru, when it was new, had consumption on a single M1 oil change I did. I've done a few 6000 mile intervals since then and it hasn't used any noticable amount.

I guess it's good that you admit you want advice, but only that which agrees with what you've already made your mind up on.
I would first try a different brand synth oil in 5w-30, but not high mileage.
Keep in mind HM oil may swell your seals, which are not currently leaking, and cause trouble down the road.
If the change in oil didn't help I'd do a piston soak.
I am just trying to figure out which advice of many is the right for my situation. A Valvoline tech just told me that High Mileage is the right oil for my problem.

My subaru, when it was new, had consumption on a single M1 oil change I did. I've done a few 6000 mile intervals since then and it hasn't used any noticable amount.
My 11 Nissan Rogue is running like new 130,000 on M1 HM 5W-30 since 70,000.

I tried the Valvoline High Mileage in my SantaFe and it burned more oil than ever. Maybe if I had gone another oil change with it problem would have gotten better IDK. Just sayin what happened to me. I would try M1.

If the root cause of your gummed up, stuck oil control ring is burnt, 'PCV recycled' oil, then all the detergent, dispersant & ZDDP in the world won't help you one tiny jot. If anything, by making the oil harder to oxidise (which is what burning is) it would tend to INCREASE the level of deposits, not reduce them
Who can tell me that this is the reason? It sounds very depressing and frightening. Is this because a PCV valve was open? Should I give up and live with it or do something that can probably help? That is why I was asking about Honda PCV valve design. Their Earthdream engines on CR-V were used only on '15-16 models. There is something definitely wrong with this engine line.

Who can tell me that this is the reason? It sounds very depressing and frightening. Is this because a PCV valve was open? Should I give up and live with it or do something that can probably help? That is why I was asking about Honda PCV valve design. Their Earthdream engines on CR-V were used only on '15-16 models. There is something definitely wrong with this engine line.

Welcome back. The Valvoline Maxlife is a good start. I don’t think you or anyone else knows what the cause is without some checking.

Our 16 CRV burns too; I did replace PCV but in vain; I'm using M1 since day one: I plan to change on different brands in foreseen future; mine burns about 1Q every 5K OCI; however, I could add more but when its the time for an oil change the oil level sits roughly in the middle of the oil stick appropriate level
That's half a quart in 5000 miles, hardly what I'd consider abnormal.

58,880 miles
Out of warranty
1st owner
Mostly city driving
Regularly changing oil: first 2 changes - Honda synthetic blend 0W-20 at a dealership, afterwards only Mobil1 0W-20 + Mobil1 filter. Following MM, which is approximately every 6,500 miles.

It burns 1qt/1000 miles which is absolutely insane.

A few days back I have replaced a PCV valve (17130-5A2-A01) (it is open in both directions, cleaning didn't help) and yet need to check if it helped.

But anyway, I need some advice from oil experts on which oil is the best for this kind of a car.

Some people recommend switching from 0W-20 to 5W-30 and to use some "magic" oil additives, others blame Mobil1 and recommend to switch to other brands.

I am thinking of switching to High Mileage oil, though it is not 70,000 plus yet, but this type of oil has additives that are formulated by trusted brands, like Mobil, Castrol ...
If there is a lot of short trip driving, it's possible you have fuel dilution that is thinning the oil. Fuel diluted oil could be why you have consumption.
I assume it's DI?
My mazda has fuel dilution if short tried, so I run 5w30 summer and 0w40 winter.

The truth is that no one (including me) can tell you this for sure, for the simple reason that this isn't something the industry particularly wants to look at. You will find nothing in either the US or European test sequences that addresses this issue. TBH, it was only AFTER I stopped working & (for want of something to do) started reading many similar posts to yours on BiTOG, that it even occurred to me there might be a problem out there.
Yes it's scary but not necessarily so if you're an OEM. This issue seems to come to the fore around the 50k - 60k miles point in a vehicle's life, when the car might be 5 to 6 years old. At that point, the OEM is long past caring about you.
This is a bit of an insidious problem in the sense that there's not an awful lot you can do about it. Sure you can take the engine out, pop all the pistons, prise out the gummed up oil rings (don't be surprised if there's just one), re-ring, rebuild & reinstall but who does that to reduce a bit of oil consumption?

I have a 2016 CRV.

This motor was used in the Accords starting in 2013 if I remember correctly.

At worst using a highly recommended cleaner will waste a few bucks and not help.

If it helps at all, you'll at least know you're on the right track.

You need to start somewhere.

If there is a lot of short trip driving, it's possible you have fuel dilution that is thinning the oil. Fuel diluted oil could be why you have consumption.
I assume it's DI?
My mazda has fuel dilution if short tried, so I run 5w30 summer and 0w40 winter.
Yes, this is a DI engine. The fuel dilution issues with Honda engines, AFAIK, started with 2017 CR-V models with new engines. I have ordered a Blackstone oil analysis kit.

I’ve never done one, but is a “piston soak” potentially helpful? Accessible in-line 4 would make it pretty easy to try.

Won't Honda do a consumption test like Toyota did a decade ago with the Rav4's?
They do it by changing oil at the dealership, in 1000 miles they will check an oil level and if it is exceeds their "normal" consumption (which is 1 qt/1000 miles) they will add some unknown additive and will charge you $170 for that.

They do it by changing oil at the dealership, in 1000 miles they will check an oil level and if it is exceeds their "normal" consumption (which is 1 qt/1000 miles) they will add some unknown additive and will charge you $170 for that.
Unknown additive?

After reading all posts, here is my plan:

1. Blackstone oil analysis
2. Check if a PVC valve change helped (need some more mileage)
3. If I am still there with the oil burn, will add some safe (?) additive (not engine flush) to the existing oil
4. Check if it helped
5. At MM ~6000 miles ( 4000 miles left) will change the oil with High Mileage oil 0W-20. I am hesitating switching to higher viscosity, at least not now.

Back