2015 BMW N20 X1 UOA 5K MILES NON-EURO OIL: ROUND 2

I am trying to find a Mobil product to use here, I like the idea of the Euro L, but want to switch to a different "house" entirely. HPL is too expensive to run for a 5k interval in my opinion. I don't mind spending money, but I do care about wasting money. The benefits of HPL that I perceive come from the ability to go long drain, which is not something I generally agree with, and certainly not with this engine.

So, does anyone have a Mobil recommendation? Hopefully someone, again, who has an N20.

I am trying to find a Mobil product to use here, I like the idea of the Euro L, but want to switch to a different "house" entirely. HPL is too expensive to run for a 5k interval in my opinion. I don't mind spending money, but I do care about wasting money. The benefits of HPL that I perceive come from the ability to go long drain, which is not something I generally agree with, and certainly not with this engine.

So, does anyone have a Mobil recommendation? Hopefully someone, again, who has an N20.
Well performance over time is the function of motor oil and it is what is used to distinguish avg vs premium products. You clearly have no problem using an oil which can barely make 5k or 8k miles so why worry about one which will stay in grade for 10k miles?

Any oil can go 5k miles so I don't know why you expect something unique jumping from brand to brand when the bar is set so low.

Well performance over time is the function of motor oil and it is what is used to distinguish avg vs premium products. You clearly have no problem using an oil which can barely make 5k or 8k miles so why worry about one which will stay in grade for 10k miles?

Any oil can go 5k miles so I don't know why you expect something unique jumping from brand to brand when the bar is set so low.
Is the bar set low?

I'm slowly dying without an update to this thread about what the OP is choosing for his next oil change. The stress alone made my cortisol levels shoot through the roof. The suspense is killing me... slowly, but surely...

1667864871994.jpg

I'm slowly dying without an update to this thread about what the OP is choosing for his next oil change. The stress alone made my cortisol levels shoot through the roof. The suspense is killing me... slowly, but surely...

View attachment 125092
Just did it tonight in fact . Pennzoil Euro 5w40. I hope you rest easy now! One more UOA for the QS that will be roundly criticized I’m sure coming up. Then…

Just did it tonight in fact . Pennzoil Euro 5w40. I hope you rest easy now! One more UOA for the QS that will be roundly criticized I’m sure coming up. Then…
You picked excellent lube for that engine. QS Euro 5W-40 is the exact same oil if you want it at a lower price. It's the Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 API SP formula sold under various brand names. IIRC Ferrari fills their street cars with the same oil at the factory. (y)

[Edit]
I posted the above statement and meme to bring some more humor to this thread 😁

You picked excellent lube for that engine. QS Euro 5W-40 is the exact same oil if you want it at a lower price. It's the Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 API SP formula sold under various brand names. IIRC Ferrari fills their street cars with the same oil at the factory. (y)

[Edit]
I posted the above statement and meme to bring some more humor to this thread 😁
That's just because the Ferrari engineers never heard of QSFS 5w-30. :)

I'm sure everyone has been waiting for this. Here is the QS FS 5w-30 again in the X1, at 5300 miles. The VOA (BL) on this report, is the same batch as this last report at 5300 miles, FWIW. Every VOA I have seen of this oil has a 2ppm Iron background noise.

Attachments

• x1 oil dec public.jpg
    x1 oil dec public.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 48
Awesome! Keep doing what you're doing!👍😎
While I certainly appreciate the kind words (especially in this thread, since they are few), I think you might have mistaken the oil in the report. It is still the dreaded, non Euro, non approved "swill" known as QSFS 5-30.

The Euro 5-40 is still in the crankcase, due to be changed in a few weeks.

While I certainly appreciate the kind words (especially in this thread, since they are few), I think you might have mistaken the oil in the report. It is still the dreaded, non Euro, non approved "swill" known as QSFS 5-30.

The Euro 5-40 is still in the crankcase, due to be changed in a few weeks.
(y)

I'm sure everyone has been waiting for this. Here is the QS FS 5w-30 again in the X1, at 5300 miles. The VOA (BL) on this report, is the same batch as this last report at 5300 miles, FWIW. Every VOA I have seen of this oil has a 2ppm Iron background noise.
Why did you get a TAN on the virgin sample, but TBN on the used samples? The viscosity is quite a bit higher than the other VOA we have on file for this oil:

Back