2009 BMW 328i - Valvoline Euro 5w40 - 5,000 miles

Here is a UOA from my 2009 BMW 328i (E90) with the N51 engine and 5,000 miles on Valvoline Euro 5w40. Car had 90k miles at the time of the sample. Interesting about their note on the fuel, since this car now sees mostly short trips. My commute to work is about 6 miles, where the previous samples were done while I was commuting 100+ miles daily.
09 328i 5w40.jpg

Here is a UOA from my 2009 BMW 328i (E90) with the N51 engine and 5,000 miles on Valvoline Euro 5w40. Car had 90k miles at the time of the sample. Interesting about their note on the fuel, since this car now sees mostly short trips. My commute to work is about 6 miles, where the previous samples were done while I was commuting 100+ miles daily.
View attachment 132985
It'sa good run. 1% fuel seems ok for the shorter runs you are now making. I think your 6,000 oci is about right.

Surprised to see how high the zinc and phosphorous is in that oil. I just put that oil in a 2.4L DI GM Ecotec engine that belongs to a relative of mine. Sounds and runs really smooth and quiet with it.

Surprised to see how high the zinc and phosphorous is in that oil. I just put that oil in a 2.4L DI GM Ecotec engine that belongs to a relative of mine. Sounds and runs really smooth and quiet with it.
Pretty normal levels for a full-SAPS oil.

It is port injected. I think it is about right. Even when I run my car a lot in cuty, oil never has any gas smell. VW on other hand is different story.
I agree with @KEVINK0000, based on that flashpoint, the number is wrong.

Of note, he says it mostly gets short tripped in the OP, so that's really not surprising.

I agree with @KEVINK0000, based on that flashpoint, the number is wrong.

Of note, he says it mostly gets short tripped in the OP, so that's really not surprising.
Could be that he very rarely reaches operating temperature or that sample is not drawn properly. This engine will evaporate fast any gas considering oil temperature once it reaches its optimum.

Could be that he very rarely reaches operating temperature or that sample is not drawn properly. This engine will evaporate fast any gas considering oil temperature once it reaches its optimum.
Yeah, that last bit being key. My M5 fuel diluted pretty badly and it was port injected. One of the issues was getting the oil up to temp during the winter.

Yeah, that last bit being key. My M5 fuel diluted pretty badly and it was port injected. One of the issues was getting the oil up to temp during the winter.
Best for OP is to get INPA and hack mpg gauge and turn it into oil temperature gauge. Than he will know how much he needs to actually drive to get oil temperature to optimum.

Best for OP is to get INPA and hack mpg gauge and turn it into oil temperature gauge. Than he will know how much he needs to actually drive to get oil temperature to optimum.
I have an aftermarket oil temp/coolant temp gauge that sits in the vent next to the steering wheel and plugs into the OBDII port. On summer days, when I park in the lot at work the oil temp will just be hitting 215-220. In the winter it is closer to 190-195. It takes a few more minutes of driving (20+ total) to get the oil temp to 230-240. The coolant temp reaches operating range fairly quickly.

I have an aftermarket oil temp/coolant temp gauge that sits in the vent next to the steering wheel and plugs into the OBDII port. On summer days, when I park in the lot at work the oil temp will just be hitting 215-220. In the winter it is closer to 190-195. It takes a few more minutes of driving (20+ total) to get the oil temp to 230-240. The coolant temp reaches operating range fairly quickly.
I just hacked mpg gauge with INPA.
Those are normal temps for N51/52. I however don’t see anything above 215 in normal driving since installing oil cooler. IMO, heat exchanger is a must in those engines unless tracking, than oil cooler.

Back