2015 BMW N20 X1 UOA 5K MILES NON-EURO OIL: ROUND 2

Well, the study says less, not to prevent.
Also, you use your car on the track. It works harder. For example, BMW M57 engines had big CBU issues in 335d models. In X5 they did not. The reason was a 1,500lbs difference that the engine has to work on.
I know the previous gen EA888 4 bangers had this issue more than the current ones for sure.

When I try to make an argument, I also provide supporting information in the form of a link and at least one screenshot. Otherwise, I make sure to specify that I'm just speculating. I'd say that's fair. So, in all fairness, please do one or the other.
There is always someone who asks this question and I really don’t feel like going back to it every time someone stumbles on this topic.
You are here spreading some wild theories, but telling me about speculation.

There is always someone who asks this question and I really don’t feel like going back to it every time someone stumbles on this topic.
You brought up this issue, not me. So if you want to continue talking about it, please support it with the source material. Otherwise, don't worry about it. I'm not going to give you any grief over it. It's fine. Just don't say I asked the question because I didn't.

You are here spreading some wild theories, but telling me about speculation.
What "wild theories" am I spreading?

You brought up this issue, not me. So if you want to continue talking about it, please support it with the source material. Otherwise, don't worry about it. I'm not going to give you any grief over it. It's fine. Just don't say I asked the question because I didn't.

What "wild theories" am I spreading?
“Deep state” about Shell and Mobil1. And when I say that, I am understating lenght.
But here is ONE of the topics about this.
I think Lubrizol removed that paper, but plenty discussion to catch up.

“Deep state” about Shell and Mobil1. And when I say that, I am understating lenght.
I already explained that it was an example of a possible business arrangement, explicitly stating that it was just speculation. I also stated that there isn't any point in discussing the subject with you further. I couldn't have been more clearer than that. Anyway, I give up. 🤦‍♂️

But here is ONE of the topics about this.
Where is it?

I think Lubrizol removed that paper, but plenty discussion to catch up.
Where does one catch up?

Thank you so much :)

By the way, your link is the old BB format, and it's broken.

Here is the correct one: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/am-i-right-or-am-i-wrong.210008/

The way you get the new link is by going to Google and searching for "bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/am-i-right-or-am-i-wrong.210008". Google indexed the updated forum.

I have to see if I can write a little PHP script maybe to address this issue and then hand it over to the staff.

I'll read it tomorrow with fresh eyes.

I hope you didn't mind the back and forth, I enjoy a good conversation.

Well, the study says less, not to prevent.
Also, you use your car on the track. It works harder. For example, BMW M57 engines had big CBU issues in 335d models. In X5 they did not. The reason was a 1,500lbs difference that the engine has to work on.
The X5 also had a both a high and low pressure EGR (more room?) whereas the E90 335d only had the high pressure EGR.

Thank you so much :)

By the way, your link is the old BB format, and it's broken.

Here is the correct one: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/am-i-right-or-am-i-wrong.210008/

The way you get the new link is by going to Google and searching for "bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/am-i-right-or-am-i-wrong.210008". Google indexed the updated forum.

I have to see if I can write a little PHP script maybe to address this issue and then hand it over to the staff.

I'll read it tomorrow with fresh eyes.

I hope you didn't mind the back and forth, I enjoy a good conversation.
I copied url from phone. Really didn’t think about what format was it.

I copied url from phone. Really didn’t think about what format was it.
Sometimes being tired prevents me from seeing things clearly. All that URL needs is to have the "page" at the end removed and it works perfectly. It's an easy fix. No need to do the entire Google search thing. Thanks again for sharing.

Here's what I could dig up for my Sportwagen w/r to boron from the UOAs and VOAs I've done. Looks like the M1 and QSUD lose quite a bit vs. the Molygen and HPL oils. I wonder why?

View attachment 108753
Seems the Boron depletion topic died off. Here's my contribution from page 7:

Seems the Boron depletion topic died off. Here's my contribution from page 7:
Seems in-line with that I saw on M1 products.

Curious as to the reason to continue to use Blackstone when it's clear that the valuable information here is coming from OAI, unless you want flashpoint? Just seems like a bit of a waste of time, but, as you note, it's your money.
It's only because I want to get another data point showing the difference between the two labs, especially on this longer drain. In the future it will be OAI.

BMW updated all specifications in 2018 like it does occasionally. This is not first update for LL01 and LL04. Oxidation requirements, already most stringent, were further increased. Tests are being done on N20 and N47 engines.
The service interval BMW specs should weigh very heavily in any cert discussion in my view. Those have changed drastically over the years. My wife's 2011 N52 was serviced under warranty/maint plan by dealership, and has more sludge under valve cover than any other engine I have taken apart, (including some 300-400k+ mileage vehicles we currently own) except my 1992 535i, which had a half a burnt hamburger (oil sludge) resting on the head under the valve cover at 140k miles. The PO used the service reminder exclusively on that car, and the dealership certainly did as well in the 2011. Not sure what oil was used, but this 2011 car was built back when BMW was using a 15k interval. BMW also was using long intervals on the N12,14, and 16 mini engines, which they changed. BMW has had a bias toward lifetime fills and long OCI for a generation at least. Their certs might not completely align with what an enthusiast owner would want for his/her car, which is good to keep in mind when discussing certs.

The service interval BMW specs should weigh very heavily in any cert discussion in my view. Those have changed drastically over the years. My wife's 2011 N52 was serviced under warranty/maint plan by dealership, and has more sludge under valve cover than any other engine I have taken apart, (including some 300-400k+ mileage vehicles we currently own) except my 1992 535i, which had a half a burnt hamburger (oil sludge) resting on the head under the valve cover at 140k miles. The PO used the service reminder exclusively on that car, and the dealership certainly did as well in the 2011. Not sure what oil was used, but this 2011 car was built back when BMW was using a 15k interval. BMW also was using long intervals on the N12,14, and 16 mini engines, which they changed. BMW has had a bias toward lifetime fills and long OCI for a generation at least. Their certs might not completely align with what an enthusiast owner would want for his/her car, which is good to keep in mind when discussing certs.
Idk. I never had those issues on my BMW’s, and i had BMW’s racking up 500k km.
BMW changed intervals to 10k here since 2015 I think.
Approvals are more then just OCI. You cannot spin this around that somehow you are using ok oil bcs. OCI is shorter. Your UOA is showing that. I mean you can convince yourself whatever you want.

Idk. I never had those issues on my BMW’s, and i had BMW’s racking up 500k km.
BMW changed intervals to 10k here since 2015 I think.
Approvals are more then just OCI. You cannot spin this around that somehow you are using ok oil bcs. OCI is shorter. Your UOA is showing that. I mean you can convince yourself whatever you want.
I am glad you have had no such problems. Have you pulled any of your engines apart?

I am not spinning anything. I said clearly that OCI should be considered when discussing cert, and nobody so far had mentioned it. Do you think that should not be the case? Why did BMW go back to 10k from 15k miles? What do you think brought that on? You have a lot of BMW info, so I would like to hear your take. And I mean that sincerely, not as a confrontation.

I am glad you have had no such problems. Have you pulled any of your engines apart?

I am not spinning anything. I said clearly that OCI should be considered when discussing cert, and nobody so far had mentioned it. Do you think that should not be the case? Why did BMW go back to 10k from 15k miles? What do you think brought that on? You have a lot of BMW info, so I would like to hear your take. And I mean that sincerely, not as a confrontation.
OCI requirement for LL approvals is based on EU market, not the American market.
There are specificities of NA market and utilization of vehicles. Initial 15k OCI was based a lot on EU market, not taking into consideration high sulfur levels here that were present until 01/2017. That is what prompted a reduction in OCI.
Yes, I have seen the internals of BMW engines, and not just BMW's I had. It is extremely rare for BMW's to develop any kind of sludge visible once VC is taken off. If it is present, that means not just that OCI was long, but exploitation of vehicles is a problem (short trips), and other neglect.
N52 engine on NA market in E90 did not have any kind of oil cooler, heat exchanger, or radiator type. Regardless that it was port injected engine, it was very hard on oil due to very high oil temperatures. Yet, I have seen N51/52 engines racking up 250k and people still tracking them in 128 or 328.

And when discussing oils, I do take into consideration OCI of any specification. Still, it does not change the fact that you are using the wrong oil and your UOA shows that.

OCI requirement for LL approvals is based on EU market, not the American market.
There are specificities of NA market and utilization of vehicles. Initial 15k OCI was based a lot on EU market, not taking into consideration high sulfur levels here that were present until 01/2017. That is what prompted a reduction in OCI.
Yes, I have seen the internals of BMW engines, and not just BMW's I had. It is extremely rare for BMW's to develop any kind of sludge visible once VC is taken off. If it is present, that means not just that OCI was long, but exploitation of vehicles is a problem (short trips), and other neglect.
N52 engine on NA market in E90 did not have any kind of oil cooler, heat exchanger, or radiator type. Regardless that it was port injected engine, it was very hard on oil due to very high oil temperatures. Yet, I have seen N51/52 engines racking up 250k and people still tracking them in 128 or 328.

And when discussing oils, I do take into consideration OCI of any specification. Still, it does not change the fact that you are using the wrong oil and your UOA shows that.
I have found the opposite to be true. BMW engines, regardless of type, year etc. seem to sludge up more than others I have worked on and own. I am not talking about just my experience either, I know retired techs who have seen this also, plus the internet shows multiple examples. The highly evolved service indicator system should be able to compensate for abusive scenarios, and pull back OCI accordingly.

My position is this:

BMW used the sulphur excuse for their V8 engine problems in the 90s, which may have actually have been the case. I don't buy it for this.

Somewhere in that firm they have decided on a philosophy of long drains and lifetime fills.

Lifetime fills in GM, ZF, and Aisin built transmissions that other firms use with more reasonable (realistic) intervals.

I love BMW and think their cars are excellent. But, they do make mistakes, which somehow, they never admit to.

For the enthusiast, BMW recommendations should be considered to be for a different purpose than solely vehicle longevity.

I mean fluid type as well as interval in the above statement.

When people only recommend going with a fluid that meets the cert, I think that is certainly a safe bet, but is also not the end of the discussion, especially where BMW is concerned.

And for myself, for disclosure, I have a bias toward experiment. I usually try the cert, and then begin to use something else, maybe. Sometimes its not any radical shift, for engine or transmission, sometimes it somewhat is, like 20w50 in a 5w20 spec engine. (Rotary).

Last edited:
Back