2014 Silverado 5.3 Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: used_0il
The 2013 5.3 has 5W30 on the fill cap.

What changes to the engine were made since last year that now it requires 5W20 instead?

When NASCAR teams are qualifying for a better starting position, they will put a very light oil in the engine.

For the actual race however, when top performance is not required, they go back to the thicker stuff.

Actually the Ecotec 5.3 is a completely new engine and only shares a few parts and a common displacement with the Vortec 5.3 it replaces.

GM Ecotec Engines

Last edited:
That's right. The 2013 5.3L is port injected and a few other things different. The 2014 5.3 is direct injected. They have enough differences that they are not the same engine except they are the same displacement, they are small blocks, both have AFM, and that is about it. OEM recommends 5w30 on the 2013, and 5w20 on the 2014. I have the 2013, and the vis I usually follow, the dexos thing I don't really lose any sleep over.

Other than displacement the 4.3 and 5.3 share nothing from 2013 to 2014, and in 2016 to really blow everyone's mind they are getting a totally new 8spd transmission bolted up to them.

For 2013 use 5w30, for 14 use 0w20, totally different animals.

Like Ford GM spent a lot of money building a totally new truck, with new power plants.

Last edited:
That link was a very brief description of changes compared to the 2014 Corvette one which took hours to read.
The increase in sump capacity is North American auto makers catching up to the rest of the world.

That, along with an oil cooler, improvements to the SAE XW20 grade and better oiling, all is well.

Still after only 2,000 miles, I'll drain the oil, and I know that it won't look like anything I would want to put back in the engine.

What a contrast from a 1970 454 that held 4 quarts of oil including the stubby filter.

Because of the engine oil duties which include the cylinder de-activating system, I would not advise anyone to go on a wild viscosity experiment.

I'll do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back