2022 Mazda Miata Club RF Recaro

Great work on his part...and yours. Our oldest is in first year engineering at the university of Calgary and paid for his first year with scholarships. He's taken to it like a fish to water and is getting very good grades. He's looking for an internship with one of the auto manufacturer racing groups after 3rd year (16month paid work experience COOP program). Is your son aware of the SAE formula racing clubs?

My son got a full ride scholarship to go to college, and we promised him if that happened, we'd buy him a very nice car.

He's a currently a Freshman. He's in a dual degree program with Butler and Purdue Universities where he'll graduate with a degree in Motorsports Engineering (Mechanical Engineering applied to Racing and High-Performance

My Question: What oil and filter do you recommend? How often do should he drain and fill the manual transmission and is there a favorite here for these Miata's?

I know there are a lot of Miata fans here, so any other additional information would be gratefully appreciated.

He's wanted to maintain this car to the highest standard, since it's only got 5,300 miles on it. He's already got it scheduled to get 3M film installed after any chips are fixed. So please, recommend any and all. products and services regardless of cost.

View attachment 206843

We all know where this is going.

Great car and well deserved! I have a 2014 2.5L CX-5 and I've been using M1 0W-20 EP with great results! I also have a 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata 1.8L and I've been running M1 5W-30 EP. Mazda recently announced "Mazda Spirit" MX5. Mazda Spirit is the new Mazdaspeed motorsport racing division. Your son will enjoy every mile of this legendary heritage!

-ttvr4

Last edited:
My son was just home for Easter and I finally got a chance to drive the car. Now I see why people like these little MX-5's.....it's a glorified Go-Kart!! Very fun!!

I was impressed at how well the manual functioned. Very smooth.

Do the oil change every 5k miles with any high quality 0W20, 0W30 OR 5w30 all 3 will work perfectly fine with an OEM Mazda oil filter pn# 1WPE-14-302 OR WIX 57002 as they are the only 2 filters approved for that engine.
as for the transmission i hear a lot of people do run the ford motorcraft XT-M5-QS and they call them "unicorn tears" and say how good its is.
As for the rear diff, in my opinion, you should change it sooner then later as i just did some on a neighbors Miata.....

my nice elderly neighbor came to me the other day and asked me to change out his rear diff fluid on his 2022 Miata GT that he recently acquired this month. I work on all his cars btw he has a bunch hondas, toyotas etc. This car only has 4000 miles keep in mind. He had the fluid and new crush washers ready to go and i said no problem sure ill do it. When inspecting his car it did appear the rear diff fluid was underfilled from the factory. Took the car for a 10 min ride to get the fluid nice and hot. When i drained it, let me tell you it was like mud dark., granted i know its mostly from break in and being new etc, with a lot of gunk on the magnet. Doesn't hurt to change out your fluids early. Remember these only hold a little less then a quart which is not a lot of fluid, so doing it more often would be ideal. IMO doing it every 10k miles would be a good start.

Last edited:
I was impressed at how well the manual functioned. Very smooth.
A common thing for Mazdas, imo. My 07 3 has one of the smoothest 5 speeds that I've yet to experience. Like many others, I'm running the Redline MT-90 as replacement for the stock fluid. My dad never changed it for some reason known only to him (and he doesn't remember why lol), so it was at 140k ish when it was changed. Fluid was still see through, minimal metal present on the drain plug. Car had been driven primarily by my mother, who is a good, safe driver. She does have her 'love for speed' moments, though, but it wasn't abused by any means.

Back