2014 Jeep Wrangler (3.6L Pentastar) Oil Rec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

I have a 2014 Wrangler with the 3.6L engine. 10,065 miles, bought it new last June. I changed the oil at 1k miles, 3k miles, and most recently 6k miles with PP with Pure Plus.

I have a 5 mile commute that I make twice a day, cold starts both to work, and after the Jeep has been sitting all day, to head home. Other than that, I make a 300 mile round trip road trip about once every two months, with various other errands thrown in, no major trips over 20 miles one way. I drive just under 1000 miles a month.

Jeep recommends 5W-30 MS-6395 oil, and I have usually sworn my Mobil 1 Full Synthetic, but that was because I ride sport bikes and used to have a VW that required full syn.

What oil should I look towards here? I'm in Des Moines, Iowa, so the winters get to below 0 regularly, and I'd like to keep the Jeep for a long time so I want to minimize wear and keep the engine as clean as possible.

I will run Techron through the Jeep every 5k miles, and always use Top Tier gas.

I'm thinking Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30, but is there a better option for my situation? The Jeep's factory fill, and current fill are both conventional, so should I stick with conventional from now on?

I drive pretty easy on the jeep, shifting at 2k RPM and only really get into it once the engine is fully warmed up and I'm on an on-ramp, which is basically once a week. My commute is city driving, but I wouldn't call it stop and go.

What intervals should I look toward for changes, and what filter should I go with when I change the oil? Jeep recommends 8k intervals, I'm thinking more like 5k just because it's easier to keep track of.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Pic for clicks.

jnuBlHI.jpg

Recommended 5w-30? I thought Chrysler changed all the pentastars to 5w-20 in '13? Or are the jeeps still 5w-30?

For what it's worth, I usually bounce between VWB and PYB for my pentastars with an OCI of 5k. Neither of mine see the short trips like yours though.

Oops, you're correct. 5W-20 is recommended. I was reading a 2012 owners manual, didn't know it was updated.

Nice ride. My 2012 and 2015 pentastar engines have shown great wear numbers with Kendall GT-1 w titanium. My experience with the pentastar indicates it is fairly easy on oil. If Kendall is not your flavor than any of the SOPUS family of synthetics should serve you well. I always use a NAPA gold oil filter.

My son has a new 2015 Chrysler 200S with the Pentastar V6. According to the owners manual, 5W-20 is recommended, but 5W-30 is also acceptable.

Didn't I see a UOA a while back where the guy used PYB for around 7k or so and it was great? I'd try PYB 5w20 or QS synblend as its $15.97 at Wal mart

I use PP because of the lower NOACK. As far as the OCI just follow the OLM. My OLM went off at 9K for the first time, but I do almost all highway miles. I would imagine yours would go off a little earlier.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
My son has a new 2015 Chrysler 200S with the Pentastar V6. According to the owners manual, 5W-20 is recommended, but 5W-30 is also acceptable.

If that is the case, I'd be running 5w30 year round!
27.gif

These things seem extremely easy on oil and can reach north of 8k-9k on conventionals. PYB would be my top pick for this, but at those intervals, I don't know if I'd sleep well at night.

The price difference of synthetic vs. conventional at those miles wont even be noticeable so I'd probably just run a synthetic.

FWIW, the Purolator filter for this engine ironically seems to hold up very well.

Great lookin' jeep!

As you mentioned Chrysler calls for the MS-6395 spec. Many oils meet this from Conventional to Synethetic. Pick what your comfortable with and meets your budget.

Personally I like PP.

Thanks for the help guys! I think I'll go with PU 5W-20 for this change, with a Mopar filter, and then get an UOA done at 15k to see if I can stretch to 7,500 for future OCIs.

Man that is one nice Jeep!

If 5w30 is allowed I would also choose it but your oil choice is great. I would save the maintenance obsessing for the tranny, differentials and transfer case.

Why is 5w-30 favorable over 5w-20? This oil change will probably be for the next 5 months. So august until January.

We have 2012 Jeep Unlimited Artic Edition driven much like you drive. We run 5w30 PP during the summer and switch over to 5w20 PP during the winter months.(because I like to change oil) Also use Wix oil filters. Change oil between 5000 and 7500 miles.
We now have 47,000 miles on our jeep. No oil consumption. It's loaded and heading for Ames tomorrow. Have to drop our son off he is a Sophomore @ Iowa State.
My only suggestion is get it undercoated. Jeep is very light on the paint on the underside. And paint around all the lower shock mounting points.

Funny you say that. I'm helping my younger brother move into his apartment in Ames this Saturday, he's also a sophomore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back