2014 Honda CRV 2.4L - 11 mos/12.5k Miles - MS5K 5w-20

A vehicle burning oil does not equate a "done for" engine. People need to stop fear mongering the OP. If burning 1 liter per 6k miles is too much, how much is acceptable? Can anyone state with confidence exactly how much oil burning within 6k miles is "too much"? No? Didn't think so. You can guess all you want but without actual testing and diagnostics performed, it's just that. A guess.

I don't have a set interval in mind and don't follow the iOLM either, I'll just change it whenever I get around to it, probably in the fall whenever I do the seasonal tire change over. Furthermore, I don't think I'll invest anymore in a UOA for this vehicle.
I would definitely use the oil life monitor as a reference. Whether you change the oil at 20%, 0% or a bit past that is up to you. The algorithms used are quite good at predicting oil life.

I notice that this oil has high calcium and low magnesium. Is it only rated API SN? I would use an oil rated API SP, or better yet, Dexos gen3, especially if you plan to extend drain intervals beyond the OLM recommendation.

Silicon looks good, but I would use a high efficiency oil filter and a good air filter to help prevent piston ring and cylinder wear from getting worse and causing more oil consumption.

I would definitely use the oil life monitor as a reference. Whether you change the oil at 20%, 0% or a bit past that is up to you. The algorithms used are quite good at predicting oil life.

I notice that this oil has high calcium and low magnesium. Is it only rated API SN? I would use an oil rated API SP, or better yet, Dexos gen3, especially if you plan to extend drain intervals beyond the OLM recommendation.

Silicon looks good, but I would use a high efficiency oil filter and a good air filter to help prevent piston ring and cylinder wear from getting worse and causing more oil consumption.
At this point I would not trust the honda oil life monitor.

Both of my hondas have had UOA's at early intervals and both were pretty low on viscocity after 5k miles and the oil life monitor would say something absurd like 70% oil life (just changed my oil last week). He is lucky its not a turbo GDI honda motor with fuel dilution.

Its trash for a honda/toyota motor under 200k miles. I have 300k on my 2.4L camry and it doesn't burn a drop. NOT ONE. Every toyota/honda I have owned has never burned oil, and if it did, it was such a small amount I never needed to add any. 1L over 6k miles is ridiculous and shows the engine is pretty much done for. It will still run, because honda, but its nowhere near in good health. It only has 87k miles, not 200k+.

Probably also needs a PCV cleaning/replacement...which is in the regular maintenance schedule.

EDIT:

To mitigate this, step up an oil grade and see what happens, and run a good HM oil (valvoline or mobil1 high mileage). 5w30 (and even 0-5w30/40 will run in the K24 of any year without an issue
Are you saying that all oils should burn at the same rate? How many miles do you put on the oil in your Camry? Have you considered wind drag on a crossover vs a sedan? Is the CRV heavier than the Camry?

This is just a simple example of not comparing the same engine in 2 different vehicles that might play out differently. The terrain, the climate, oil being used etc plays.

Regardless, 2 Liters over 12,600k miles is NOT even close to a "Pretty much done for" engine. I think you assume 0 burn rate is the standard & that would not be reasonable in all conditions. Essentially, You're Camry is the exception & not the rule.

Last edited:
I change all my oil at 5k mile intervals, like its been the norm since the late 90's. Not all oils, but hes running an OEM recommended spec, let alone a little heavier (5w20 is heavier than 0w20 which is what is in the owners manual). My 2019 that ran a fantastic 88k miles before I traded it, ran thin AF 0w16 with 10k mile OCI's as a real beater car and didn't burn a drop.

There are a few definite things in this world, and one of them is that cars made in the last 10 years from honda/toyota should not burn oil from the factory all the way up to 100k miles with regular maintenance (and if they do, it will be insignificant amounts). Reliability has been their MO for decades, and nothing has changed. Considering 2 quarts is almost HALF the oil...thats a lot, especially if it wasn't topped off regularly and early.
Well, OP could've said basically the same thing. OP could've run a similar 5k & not had to add any oil over that short interval. Even if it was a little low they could've stated there was no oil added but did burn some since there is some headway from min/max oil level.

Running oil for an extended period does put the oil at more risk of burning off the longer it's run. I would expect if you used the same oil for the same ODI that it would've used some oil as well. How much we don't know but I certainly wouldn't say it's done for.

The oil burn rate incorporates several perimeters as I mentioned earlier. Again your experience is the exception & luck if you will. Many oil dipsticks reflect about 1 quart from min to max so the OP didn't have the need to "top off regularly or early".

There are a few definite things in this world, and one of them is that cars made in the last 10 years from honda/toyota should not burn oil from the factory all the way up to 100k miles with regular maintenance (and if they do, it will be insignificant amounts).
What are you basing this off of? Mileage is relative based on use. This is OP's first UOA. There is no base line set for this individual vehicle. For all we know, the UOAs could've been very similar to this one along with the oil consumption ever since it was driven off the lot.

What are you basing this off of? Mileage is relative based on use. This is OP's first UOA. There is no base line set for this individual vehicle. For all we know, the UOAs could've been very similar to this one along with the oil consumption ever since it was driven off the lot.
That is an excellent point.

Well, OP could've said basically the same thing. OP could've run a similar 5k & not had to add any oil over that short interval. Even if it was a little low they could've stated there was no oil added but did burn some since there is some headway from min/max oil level.

Running oil for an extended period does put the oil at more risk of burning off the longer it's run. I would expect if you used the same oil for the same ODI that it would've used some oil as well. How much we don't know but I certainly wouldn't say it's done for.

The oil burn rate incorporates several perimeters as I mentioned earlier. Again your experience is the exception & luck if you will. Many oil dipsticks reflect about 1 quart from min to max so the OP didn't have the need to "top off regularly or early".
You are not wrong, so that could have been the case. Could have been old and burned off.
But if this is "normal" and its always burning, then this is an issue that I would bring up to honda if it was under warranty.

The oil consumption of my 1996 F22B2 engine is completely irrelevant to this discussion. You said it yourself when you said this mattered with engines built in the last 10 years. Mine is 27 years old.

I was that shocked, sorry, had to point it out.
I thought that people around here could read, but you obviously couldn't even after I repeated myself 3 times. You deliberately run around trolling here by exacerbating your Social Anxiety Disorder (A person with social anxiety disorder feels symptoms of anxiety or fear in situations where they may be scrutinized, evaluated, or judged by others, such as speaking in public, meeting new people, dating, being on a job interview, answering a question in class, or having to talk to a cashier in a store.). Your malignant narcissism is also, obvious.

So yeah. Piss Off till you can answer my first questions. As if you have any right to be some internet keyboard police officer after the crap you pull.

Happy?
The fact that you won't be banned because, IDK, dumb moderators, I have zero hope in the staff of BITOG.

Go back to your neckbeard nest of a basement and be happy you get another person banned :) Its worth it to point out your mental problems.
Oh I see, sorry I gave you a serious reply in my last post.

He was right to call you out for calling the OPs K24 a trash motor, or whatever it was you said. I'm not sure this is the forum for you. Grow the F up and get a clue.

I was that shocked, sorry, had to point it out.
I thought that people around here could read, but you obviously couldn't even after I repeated myself 3 times. You deliberately run around trolling here by exacerbating your Social Anxiety Disorder (A person with social anxiety disorder feels symptoms of anxiety or fear in situations where they may be scrutinized, evaluated, or judged by others, such as speaking in public, meeting new people, dating, being on a job interview, answering a question in class, or having to talk to a cashier in a store.). Your malignant narcissism is also, obvious.

So yeah. Piss Off till you can answer my first questions. As if you have any right to be some internet keyboard police officer after the crap you pull.

Happy?
The fact that you won't be banned because, IDK, dumb moderators, I have zero hope in the staff of BITOG.

Go back to your neckbeard nest of a basement and be happy you get another person banned :) Its worth it to point out your mental problems.
My reply was a genuine question to get you to elaborate how you came to the conclusion that the oil consumption was somehow excessive yet the quantity was irrelevant with the secondary effect of pointing out a logical fallacy. There's no need to be accusatory of the staff here. Absolutely not necessary to attempt to belittle other members with a mental disorder diagnosis either.

The comments about high oil usage is quite odd to me. 2 quarts over 12,600 miles is fantastic IMO! This auto is getting close to 90k on it.
I guess I'm just not used to modern engines. My Mitsubishi 4G15T never had the oil level perceptively move in a 20000Km OCI, and it had a sump barely bigger than 3L.
It seems more modern engines, low piston rings and all suffer from higher consumption...

unnecessarily inflating any worries the poster may have about this engine.
I appreciate your input, and would like you to know that we have a K24 in a 2008 CRV (253k KMS) at our vacation home in SoFlo. With sporadic usage, it accumulates very little distance travelled and it too uses oil, more than this 2014 model. I make sure to top off the oil more frequently in the 2008, because other family members use it too when I'm not there. The 2014 gets a little more infrequent oil level inspections and therefore, on occasion has been run low on oil, it also suffers from the occasional timing chain start up rattle. Here's what the filter and oil looked like on the 2008 at the last oil (w/o UOA) and filter change with the iOLM down to 15%.

Last edited:
Back