2014 Honda CRV 2.4L - 11 mos/12.5k Miles - MS5K 5w-20

UOA CRV Final Draft (pdf.io).jpg

About 2L of make up oil was used during the interval, so looking for some feedback on my first ever UOA; filter c&p here

Last edited:
I certainly don’t claim to be a lubrication expert but, if it were mine I wouldn’t be happy. Iron and lead are too high for my liking especially, with that amount of makeup oil. Your iron is at 4.18 ppm/1k miles. I don’t like to see more than 2 ppm/1k but, that’s just me. I don’t think that Mobil Super is designed for that long of an OCI.

I certainly don’t claim to be a lubrication expert but, if it were mine I wouldn’t be happy. Iron and lead are too high for my liking especially, with that amount of makeup oil. Your iron is at 4.18 ppm/1k miles. I don’t like to see more than 2 ppm/1k but, that’s just me. I don’t think that Mobil Super is designed for that long of an OCI.
I agree. This is kind of a higher wear rate. If you like this oil & want to stay with it then reduce your ODI a bit until you see 3 ppm or less or the opposite with running a full synthetic while retesting for wear rate trends.

Other than that it's great that you're trying to run a decent length on your oil/filter. Do you by chance live in hill country or did you tow with this at all?

I agree. This is kind of a higher wear rate. If you like this oil & want to stay with it then reduce your ODI a bit until you see 3 ppm or less or the opposite with running a full synthetic while retesting for wear rate trends.

Other than that it's great that you're trying to run a decent length on your oil/filter. Do you by chance live in hill country or did you tow with this at all?
Thank you for your feedback. Mixed city/hwy driving with some long distance highway runs mixed in (250 miles one way) but no towing. A trip to Florida and back is planned for the summer.

Oil change interval is too long, especially with that oil.
Iron wear is too high.
Rather than spend money on a UOA, it might be better for your engine if you instead spend the money on oil and cut your OCI in half.

Last edited:
Thank you for your feedback. Mixed city/hwy driving with some long distance highway runs mixed in (250 miles one way) but no towing. A trip to Florida and back is planned for the summer.
Understood & the long drive to FL should help balance the wear. According to your filter post you put in "ProSelect for a shorter interval and used MS5K 5w-20". Just curious how long are you going on this next ODI? Are you going to re-test again at that time or wait for another longer run?

I don't know what typical iron and lead levels are supposed to look like on this engine, but the values on this report seem too high to me. Also, where is all the sodium coming from? Have you used any additives? Because there should be less than 5ppm of sodium in this oil and there's actually 238ppm.

I'm curious about the lead, I thought these engines had aluminum bearings? Additives? Race fuel at some point?
And 2L of make up oil, is that typical for these engines to drink (or leak) oil like this?

If it were me (and that's only me), I'd go a little thicker and shorten the interval. Maybe go with one of these "cleaning" oils like Valvoline premium blue extreme (not sure I remember this right).

I would use 5w30.
Monitor the coolant level.
Check the air filter integrity and is properly installed and sealing properly so no air can get around it.
Cut the oil change interval in half and re test the oil.

According to your filter post you put in "ProSelect for a shorter interval and used MS5K 5w-20". Just curious how long are you going on this next ODI? Are you going to re-test again at that time or wait for another longer run?
I don't have a set interval in mind and don't follow the iOLM either, I'll just change it whenever I get around to it, probably in the fall whenever I do the seasonal tire change over. Furthermore, I don't think I'll invest anymore in a UOA for this vehicle.

I don't know what typical iron and lead levels are supposed to look like on this engine, but the values on this report seem too high to me. Also, where is all the sodium coming from? Have you used any additives? Because there should be less than 5ppm of sodium in this oil and there's actually 238ppm.
Thanks for the notes on the sodium, no additives were used during this OCI.

I'm curious about the lead, I thought these engines had aluminum bearings? Additives? Race fuel at some point?
And 2L of make up oil, is that typical for these engines to drink (or leak) oil like this?
Thanks for the notes about the lead. I'm not sure about the bearing material type, but no alternate fuels or additives were used; it burns some oil, the engine doesn't leak.

The oil held up fairly well considering the mileage - likely thanks to the 2L top off. I believe these 2.4 engines have piston ring issues and it’s quite normal for them to burn some oil. It sounds like you do some city driving and perhaps short trips. That would push you more into a severe category type of usage. That being said you’re probably pushing this oil to its limit. Like others have said the wear values aren’t the best which may indicate this oil is being pushed a bit too hard. I’d back down the OCI a bit if it were my car. I’d try 7500 miles on the MS5K. Thanks for sharing!

I thought 2L was not bad either 🤷‍♂️
Its trash for a honda/toyota motor under 200k miles. I have 300k on my 2.4L camry and it doesn't burn a drop. NOT ONE. Every toyota/honda I have owned has never burned oil, and if it did, it was such a small amount I never needed to add any. 1L over 6k miles is ridiculous and shows the engine is pretty much done for. It will still run, because honda, but its nowhere near in good health. It only has 87k miles, not 200k+.

Probably also needs a PCV cleaning/replacement...which is in the regular maintenance schedule.

EDIT:

To mitigate this, step up an oil grade and see what happens, and run a good HM oil (valvoline or mobil1 high mileage). 5w30 (and even 0-5w30/40 will run in the K24 of any year without an issue

Its trash for a honda/toyota motor under 200k miles. I have 300k on my 2.4L camry and it doesn't burn a drop. NOT ONE. Every toyota/honda I have owned has never burned oil, and if it did, it was such a small amount I never needed to add any. 1L over 6k miles is ridiculous and shows the engine is pretty much done for. It will still run, because honda, but its nowhere near in good health. It only has 87k miles.

Probably also needs a PCV cleaning/replacement...which is in the regular maintenance schedule.
“Trash”, “ridiculous”, “engine is pretty much done for”.

What planet are you living on?

Back