2014 Elantra Coupe vs 2010 Kia Forte EX...

So have been looking for a replacement for my son's '04 Sonata.
Looking at either a 2014 Elantra Coupe or 2010 Kia Forte EX right now.
Both are manual transmissions.
The Elantra has the 1.8 L with ~80,000 miles, the Forte has the 2.0 Theta II with 117,000.
From what I have found, the 1.8 Nu is not a problem engine like the 2.0 GDI, and I don't think the 2.0 Theta II MPI in the Forte is one of the problem ones.

Anything anyone knows about to look out for on these? I am going to take a look at them tomorrow.
The Forte comes with a clean Carfax (although there is some damage to the drivers door and rear fender), the Elantra does not.
I may actually pay for a CarFax on it just for piece of mind (unless someone here has access ;) )

They are both on used car lots, the Elantra is on a small lot (not ever a real lot), the Forte is on a medium size lot.
They are asking $6,500 for the Elantra (with them saying price is negotiable) and $5,000 for the Forte.

Right now I am leaning toward the Elantra if I can get it for closer $6,000 (and it checks out OK) since it is newer and fewer miles with no (obvious) damage.
But if I can get them to drop the Forte $500 because of the damage, I would be OK with that as well.

Well, the Forte was at a dealer that has horrible ratings on yelp, like one 5 star, and thirty 1 star, all saying almost the same thing, going back for about years, so seems to be a bad history with this dealer, never even bothered to go look at it.
With the Elantra, son and I went to look at it, and was ok looking, clear coat peeling in a few spots, several small scratches and dents, a few old stickers partially removed, rear tint starting to bubble, not a $6,500 car, but figured I would offer $5,500.
We opened the door, and there was an odd smell, not bad, but something.
Looked around inside, not seeing anything bad, then my son sat in the drivers seat and suddenly an overwhelming odor of weed.
My son looked at me, I said, yup, he said nope, and we left.

Hoping to go look at a Scion TC on Thursday. Higher mileage and older (a 2008 with 233,000 miles on it), but asking $3,800.
Interior looks really good, was used as a commuter car for 12 years, so mostly highway mileage

Well, the Forte was at a dealer that has horrible ratings on yelp, like one 5 star, and thirty 1 star, all saying almost the same thing, going back for about years, so seems to be a bad history with this dealer, never even bothered to go look at it.
With the Elantra, son and I went to look at it, and was ok looking, clear coat peeling in a few spots, several small scratches and dents, a few old stickers partially removed, rear tint starting to bubble, not a $6,500 car, but figured I would offer $5,500.
We opened the door, and there was an odd smell, not bad, but something.
Looked around inside, not seeing anything bad, then my son sat in the drivers seat and suddenly an overwhelming odor of weed.
My son looked at me, I said, yup, he said nope, and we left.

Hoping to go look at a Scion TC on Thursday. Higher mileage and older (a 2008 with 233,000 miles on it), but asking $3,800.
Interior looks really good, was used as a commuter car for 12 years, so mostly highway mileage
You may have to look at several cars to weed out the bad ones.

Ended up getting a '10 Scion TC with 149,500 miles on it.
123 (Large).jpg 12345 (Large).jpg

Son loves it, seems to be in decent shape.
Paint is decent, no rust or major body issues.
Has some trim pieces that need replacement (the 2 window gaskets on the door are shot)
Front tires are about done and rear are some off brand with OK tread.
It was about 2/3 qt low on oil and the seller said it had about 2,500 miles since oil was changed, I can live with that amount of usage in the 2AZ-FE engine.
Owner was asking $6,000, got it for $5,000 (mainly due to tires and oil usage), and in this current market, seems to be a pretty fair price.

While I love Hyundai/Kia vehicles, I think this is a better overall purchase.

At 150,000 miles will be doing major service on it (engine oil and filter, trans pan drop with filter change, brake fluid, power steering, spark plugs etc).
Air and cabin filter was done at the last oil change, so it is fine.
Tires are being done next week (I am paying for tires, son wants new rims, so he pays for those), and speakers were replaced (the old ones the foam had disintegrated).
He is also looking at getting the tint re-done on it (on his dime, doors were not done (or has already been pulled off) and the rear window is starting to look a little foggy).

View attachment 142368 View attachment 142369

Has some trim pieces that need replacement (the 2 window gaskets on the door are shot)
It was about 2/3 qt low on oil and the seller said it had about 2,500 miles since oil was changed, I can live with that amount of usage in the 2AZ-FE engine.
Owner was asking $6,000, got it for $5,000 (mainly due to tires and oil usage), and in this current market, seems to be a pretty fair price.

At 150,000 miles will be doing major service on it (engine oil and filter, trans pan drop with filter change, brake fluid, power steering, spark plugs etc).
Tires are being done next week (I am paying for tires, son wants new rims, so he pays for those), and speakers were replaced (the old ones the foam had disintegrated).
He is also looking at getting the tint re-done on it (on his dime, doors were not done (or has already been pulled off) and the rear window is starting to look a little foggy).
Keep a eye on the oil level they do like to drink there fair share. Other than that a great car

$5k and son loves it? Sounds like a win.

Good plan of attack on the maintenance. I would try some HPL engine cleaner for 2k miles. Then two intervals of HPL oil. Replace pcv valve with an oem one. Then it should be good to go for a while.

Keep a eye on the oil level they do like to drink there fair share. Other than that a great car
Yup, daughter has a 2012 xB with the same 2.4 2AZ-FE, and she checks her oil every 1,000 miles or so.
Hers is at just over 75,000 miles and uses about a qt every 3,000 miles (started around 55,000 miles).

We topped his off when we got it and level was unchanged after 300 miles of driving, he is at almost 500 miles now.
We will be changing the oil this week, so will see if it has dropped in that time.
I figure he will need to check it every 1000 miles to just see where it is at. I have no idea what oil was used, but his will have Rotella Truck and SUV 5w-30 for a while.

Good plan of attack on the maintenance. I would try some HPL engine cleaner for 2k miles. Then two intervals of HPL oil. Replace pcv valve with an oem one. Then it should be good to go for a while.
I am not one that does cleaners. I have seen a few come and go here that "really work" and are a go to for a few years, then just go away. I will just change the oil.
Pulled the PVC and it rattles just fine, and I sprayed it out. I actually have one somewhere in the garage I bought from my daughters, but not sure where it is. If I find it, I will swap it.

Back