KIA Forte and KIA Optima

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
Looking at a couple of KIAs ... one is a 2014 Forte EX and the other a 2015 Optima EX.

The 2014 Forte has the 4-cyl 2.0L DGI naturally aspirated engine with a 6-speed automatic.

The 2015 Optima has the 4- cyl 2.4L DGI naturally aspirated engine with a 6-speed automatic.
I'm assuming the 6-speed auto is the same in both these cars ... ??

Questions are ... anyone here own one of these close to these model years?

What's the reliability of these engines and the 6-speed auto. Is this auto transmission a CVT? ... hopefully not.

Was the 2.0L only used in the Forte and the 2.4L in the Optima? ... or was there a 2.0L or 2.4L engine option in both these models?

Yes, have had several Hyundai/Kia's and 2 parked in the driveway right now.
The 2.4GDi is a high failure rate engine. Need to make sure all recalls are completed and use the thickest oil you can get away with, while following the severe service interval. The other option is to simply stick with dealer 4k-5k mile oil/filter change services. The engine will come with a lifetime class-action-recall warranty. Check oil often and keep it full always.

The 2.0's have their own issues.

The 6-speed is well programmed, way better than my u660/u760 equipped Toyotas. So, a couple drain/refills will keep the shift quality good. Unabused will lead to a surprisingly long life.

I find the 2.0's a bit anemic. Still tolerable for a safe/sane commuter. The added pep of the 2.4gdi is worth it, especially since the Optima/Sonata are a little bigger than the Elantra/Forte.

I've owned a few 2.4 and one 2.0. No issues whatsoever with either. But what @Greasymechtech is true. I never went over 4-5k. However, I mostly used 5w20 in all of them.

Looking at a couple of KIAs ... one is a 2014 Forte EX and the other a 2015 Optima EX.

The 2014 Forte has the 4-cyl 2.0L DGI naturally aspirated engine with a 6-speed automatic.

The 2015 Optima has the 4- cyl 2.4L DGI naturally aspirated engine with a 6-speed automatic.
I'm assuming the 6-speed auto is the same in both these cars ... ??

Questions are ... anyone here own one of these close to these model years?

What's the reliability of these engines and the 6-speed auto. Is this auto transmission a CVT? ... hopefully not.

Was the 2.0L only used in the Forte and the 2.4L in the Optima? ... or was there a 2.0L or 2.4L engine option in both these models?
It's so hard to trust the brand - Kia's are know for some serious engine defects and also engine fires.
They also seem to have some defect that allows easy theft.

If I were going to buy a smaller car for commuting I would buy a low mileage Toyota Corolla or Camry.
The Toyota reliability in Consumers reports Magazine is so superior to any other brand.
If the 16 weight oil bothers you, you can always use 20 weight or higher oil viscosity with no issues in these cars.

In addition, don't forget, depending on your location, possible insurance issues, especially with the Forte.
Kia Bois are working them hard.

You could find a Dodge Dart with the 2.4L and automatic. It uses a Hyundai 6 speed transmission.
Saw a 2013 Dodge Dart SXT which looked pretty nice, but it had the 2.0L L4 turbo with the 6-speed auto ... but not sure how that engine is.

In addition, don't forget, depending on your location, possible insurance issues, especially with the Forte.
Kia Bois are working them hard.
Is the KIA Optima not as easy to steal? Is there a model year and beyond where the ease of thief is not as easy like it is with the ones on the thief craze?

You'll have no theft issue with either as the EX models are push button start. Not key in ignition.

Additionally, a very large number of vehicles with engine issues are attributed to owner neglect.
Not all but many. The Thetta II platform doesn't respond well to maintenance lapses.

Last edited:
If you have a key, you'll want to get the software update and use the remote to set the alarm. It won't be stolen easily that way. Most aren't smart enough to set the alarm properly and rely on the timeout/autolock meaning the remote isn't needed to unlock the vehicle and start it. The BCM update works. If you set the alarm with the remote, then it will NOT start until you unlock it with the remote, even if you have the key. So, make sure that you replace the remote batteries every new years.

Already tested the BCM update on the 2021 and it works great. Will have it applied to the 2017 soon.

Is the KIA Optima not as easy to steal? Is there a model year and beyond where the ease of thief is not as easy like it is with the ones on the thief craze?

Around here, the Forte's are one of the popular targets.
Don't hear about as many Optimas.

If you have a key, you'll want to get the software update and use the remote to set the alarm. It won't be stolen easily that way. Most aren't smart enough to set the alarm properly and rely on the timeout/autolock meaning the remote isn't needed to unlock the vehicle and start it. The BCM update works. If you set the alarm with the remote, then it will NOT start until you unlock it with the remote, even if you have the key. So, make sure that you replace the remote batteries every new years.

Already tested the BCM update on the 2021 and it works great. Will have it applied to the 2017 soon.
A group of thieves has already bypassed the software update. It will be no time that the world of thieves will know the process.

Hyjundai/Kia turbo motors are more robust as they have hypereutectic pistons and you would hope better bearings. I would stay away form a NA Hyundai/Kia. 60/40 Russian Roulette.

Last edited:
What group of thieves bypassed the software update?
I heard 4 cars that had the software up date were taken in one town, and the cops said all had the new software update. It’s Hyundai, very good chance they did not use any encryption, so they just cloned the ecu and back engineered the software.

The 2.4GDi is a high failure rate engine. Need to make sure all recalls are completed and use the thickest oil you can get away with, while following the severe service interval. The other option is to simply stick with dealer 4k-5k mile oil/filter change services. The engine will come with a lifetime class-action-recall warranty. Check oil often and keep it full always.
Does that lifetime engine recall warranty only apply to the original owners?

No. Subsequent owners as well.
I'm betting there are some stringent rules to follow, like every service is per the book by a KIA dealership with records or similar language to make that lifetime warranty valid. Miss one OCI by over 50 miles and it's void.

Back