KIA Forte and KIA Optima

Although I have driven both vehicles exactly as you have spec'd them and I really enjoyed each in their price segment. I've tested them when new and have driven them as use vehicles or rentals. Very nice I must say.

However, because of the scrutiny that KIA/HYUNDAI have been under for engine failures/fires in the 2.0 & 2.4 along with the theft of these vehicles and numerous recalls, you may want to look elsewhere. And that's a real shame for such nice vehicles.

I personally wouldn't purchase one just due to their history and problems with the theta motors. I'm sure there's tons out there with lots of miles but can be a risk.

I'm betting there are some stringent rules to follow, like every service is per the book by a KIA dealership with records or similar language to make that lifetime warranty valid. Miss one OCI by over 50 miles and it's void.
I don’t think so, that’s what gimmicky dealership “lifetime” warranties require, but this was a court settlement.

The only thing is, if you did have a problem the dealer might want to see oil change receipts.

You could find a Dodge Dart with the 2.4L and automatic. It uses a Hyundai 6 speed transmission.
What's the 2.0L turbo used in the Dart like? Issues or not? There's a 2013 SXT model close by with the 2.0L turbo engine and 6-speed auto - has 119K miles. No accidents on the Carfax. They are asking $8900.

Edit update - I think the dealer's ad showing it has a 2.0L turbo is wrong, as more digging makes it sound like only the 1.4L was a turbo, and the 2.0L and 2.4L Tigershark engines were naturally aspirated.

Per Wikipedia, that could be one of two 6-speed autos used. From what I'm seeing, the 2013 was the first year of the Dodge Dart II. It's a decent looking car.

1682973534096.png

1682973595273.png

Last edited:
I doubt that most owners know how to use the update. So, having the update and using it are two different things. Had to retrain the wife, and that was difficult enough.

I have had some experience with both vehicles. My daughter has 2015 Forte 5 EX with the 1.6 turbo engine. It is a blast to drive. She has had a leaking oil pressure sensor, replaced fuel pump and the brakes seem to need changing too soon. The brakes may be due to her driving style. It is a peppy little hatch with lots of room. My son has the naturally aspired 2 liter engine in his 2015 Forte 5 LX. It seems to be more reliable than my daughter's Forte 5 with only brakes being an issue. I had a 2011 Optima for ten years. The only reason I got rid of it was to get a 2021 K5. The issues I had with the Optima were the drivers seat material wearing out to soon (replaced under warranty) and the steering pulling to the left since new. It took them a year to get that straighted around. I would recommend either car but the Optima is so much more comfortable than the Forte

2010's Hyundai/Kia's are probably the absolute worst used cars out there. Hopefully it'll get stolen and insurance pays out before the engine blows.
OOOps Liked by mistake. Have a 2010 Sonata 3.3 v6 with 320k on it Best car ever. Still going strong. 2.4l engines maybe not . Also have 2018 Sonata 2.4 87k no oil usage and no issues... Fingers crossed

What's the 2.0L turbo used in the Dart like? Issues or not? There's a 2013 SXT model close by with the 2.0L turbo engine and 6-speed auto - has 119K miles. No accidents on the Carfax. They are asking $8900.

Edit update - I think the dealer's ad showing it has a 2.0L turbo is wrong, as more digging makes it sound like only the 1.4L was a turbo, and the 2.0L and 2.4L Tigershark engines were naturally aspirated.

Per Wikipedia, that could be one of two 6-speed autos used. From what I'm seeing, the 2013 was the first year of the Dodge Dart II. It's a decent looking car.

View attachment 153658

View attachment 153659
Yes, it's a very good looking car but sadly, received NO love from the AUTOMOTIVE PRESS.
IDK anything else about the DART but every one that I saw on the road, looked very good. Only some smaller reviewers on YouTube gave it any credibility. That's too bad. I like the look of the car. Not that I'd run out to buy one new at that time but I would have consider a DART if I were in the market for a car in that segment even if it was only to visit a dealership for a test drive. I don't even see any used examples around today.

Had a 2016 kia soul with the 1.6 I bought brand new for my wife to drive. The engine felt very unrefined and cheap compared to my 99 camry, vibration at idle that progressively got worse(direct injection?), Bad transmission tuning or misfire since brand new! In 6th gear while hitting an incline going say 60 or 70 instead of downshifting to compensate for having no power the engine would just hiccup and buck, I took it to the dealer to have them test drive and they said it's normal for a small engine. A few ignition hiccups too where we would turn the key and nothing would happen then we try again and it fires up. Couple times car would turn over but never start. Known defect with front turn signals where you have to bend the contacts back out so they work. Stitching on seats was coming apart at 45k. Couple random check engine lights before 50k. Catalytic converter failed at 59k covered under warranty thank god and that's when I sold it to carvana in 2020 and bought another toyota. There was probly more problems but that's all I remember right now

Oh and it used oil from day one, half quart per 5k at first, 1 quart per 5k at the end. Used 5w20 supertech synthetic at 5k intervals. We got a letter from kia motors around 2019 saying even tho the manuals say 3750 severe/7500 normal driving for oil change intervals they now recommend 3750 for all cars because it's all severe.

View attachment 153658

View attachment 153659
I have a 2.0 litre equipped Dodge Dart Rallye. The engine is a good engine as it is based on the "world engine" design by Chrysler, Mitsu, and Hyundai. All three mfgrs used different or varying head designs. The 2.4 litre Multiaire engine has had issues with the valve intake solenoid cassette, and I personally would stay away from that engine. The 1.4 turbo engine is a Fiat design, and is known for some electrical issues. Early production Darts in 2013, are known for some head gasket issues. I just completed replacing the head gasket on mine at 82k miles. I posted a thread on BITOG about that. The Dart is well equipped for the money......look for a clean lower mileage one preferably in model years 2014 - 2016. Chrysler ended production of the Dart and Model 200 because they were not meeting profit objectives and also due to the fact that the market was moving agressively from compact sedans to compact SUVs.

Back