2013 Honda Pilot 54k miles: Clean or replace PCV valve?

2013 Honda Pilot w/ 54k miles.

We are original owners and I've performed all the maintenance on it, including full syn 0w-20 oil changes.

When it gets closer for the next oil change, I was going to clean the MAF and runs some GDI cleaner though it. Then change the spark plugs.

Since I will be doing some work on it all at once, I was considering servicing the PCV valve.

My question..... Should I change out the PCV valve, or just clean it and reinstall? New ones range from $15-$20.

Thanks !

OEM will be $35 or so. But why bother with it if not having issues and no code tripped?

I would leave it alone. Just replace the timing belt, hydraulic tensioner and serpentine belt with dealer parts, and keep on driving.

New at $15 - $20? Replace and forget about it for another 50k miles. You're not talking $200+.

If you're going to pull it anyway, and go through all the work to get to it, you might as well replace it, especially if it's still on the original PCV and a new one isn't expensive :)

I recently replaced the one on my wife's 2016 Acura RDX at 75,000 miles with an new OEM PCV valve just because I figured it was due. But when I took the old one out it was functioning perfectly fine. I use Castrol Edge and change it per the OLM so the engine is clean internally. If a engine has been neglected or used conventional oil I suspect the PCV would need changing earlier.

Change it is what I would do. Or clean it really well. But I’ve seen them last a lot longer so it might be ok to leave for awhile.

At 54k? Is it based on time in this case? I’m not too familiar with 3.5 Honda stuff although I should since we have an odyssey lol
Before the Maintenance Minder came out, the service interval for the timing belt was 7 years or 105K, whichever comes first. With that said, the hydraulic tensioner on the newer ones seem to be very prone to leaking.

@Nukeman7 , yes it is the same engine with the dumb VCM. I'll probably disable the VCM after the HondaCare service contract ends later this year. Does the muzzler leave a trace on the computer?

I'm also going to start looking into a lot oil catch can, since I will be installing one on my 2017 Silverado 1500 5.3.

@The Critic , do you know the service intervak for timing belts for 2013's ? I knew about the 105k recommendation, but unsure about the time interval. Ours has the basic Maintenance Minder, if that matters.

@The Critic , do you know the service intervak for timing belts for 2013's ? I knew about the 105k recommendation, but unsure about the time interval. Ours has the basic Maintenance Minder, if that matters.
It used to be 7 years or 105K, but the time interval was officially removed when the MM system launched. I would be more concerned about the leaking hydraulic tensioner than the belt itself.

@The Critic , thanks for the tip about the hydraulic tensioner!!

Ha, you joined this forum only 5 months before I did. Dang, it's been a long time ago it seems!

I had always planned on performing the timing chain service myself.

I will probably need to move up it's service and tackle it before summer when I gets hot.

Back