2013 crv and 2007 accord ?'s

Status
Not open for further replies.
2013 Honda crv 1,000 miles, mostly driven in town short trips with the occasional 45-50 mile round tripper. Vehicle is driven by my wife who is very conservative on the gas pedal. When checking the oil I've noticed a black mark left on the rag. Is this normal with a new vehicle? The oil seems fine. I'm also torn on the whole FF debate. Should I go syn blend for a couple oci or straight to full syn?
2007 Honda accord, 4 cyl, 101k miles. New to me at 95k miles. Driven 45 miles round trip to work, 90/10 highway to city. I changed the oil at 100k with the MM showing 50%. My peace of mind wouldn't allow me to go further. Immediately upon start up I noticed a brief rattling sound which I had never heard before. I'm on my 4th filter hoping to find the root of this noise. PP 5w/20 is what I put in. Any ideas? Just looking for some advice.

Black marks left on the rag from wiping the dipstick would be normal, oil is doing what it's suppose to be doing, holding contaminants. Let that factory oil stay in until MM tells you to change it. Honda uses a very specific formula in their factory filled new engines, really high in moly. The Accord, it being a 4 cylinder, they aren't exactly smooth at start up anyway. Rattling sound could be from heat shields that are loose inside the engine bay or under the cab that shields the heat away. In my experience with all my Honda's, I've used Purolator gold filters exclusively and never noticed any oil related rattling. With many miles, things are going to loosen up.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
Rattling sound could be from heat shields that are loose inside the engine bay or under the cab that shields the heat away. In my experience with all my Honda's, I've used Purolator gold filters exclusively and never noticed any oil related rattling. With many miles, things are going to loosen up.

This ^^. The 04 Accord recently started doing the same. I'm not concerned about it. In my case it is coming from the exhaust manifold shield in the rear of the engine bay. When I pushed on it with the butt of a screwdriver the sound went away. I have not further addressed the issue, since it appears benign. It only occurs at start up or occasionally when accelerating from a stop.

I would agree to go by the MM on the factory fill. 15-30% seems to be the norm. My Accord does not have a MM but the owner's manual specifically stated to leave the FF in for a full OCI. I was on the fence back then and changed it at 4k. Have not had any issues with the car. FWIW, I use a P1 filter. PP is an excellent choice. I'm going back to Sopus after trying a few different oils. I used PP from 40-90k and the valvetrain is spotless, at least what I can see through the oil fill hole.

What is your MPG in the Accord?

P.S.-I think your MM is spot on. I drive typically 60/40 hwy/city. I've stretched my OCI from 5k to 7k and UOA's have been positive, although I was not really impressed with the old formula Honda (sm) 0w-20. Like previously mentioned, I'm back with Sopus-PU, PP, Shell Syn for the long haul. Should have a Uoa on the PU in November. Hope to extend OCI to 8k, possibly beyond. With your commute almost exclusively highway I would think you are safe to start extending your OCI, if you so choose, especially when using an excellent oil like PP and a good filter.

For reference:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...032#Post2397032

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...496#Post3066496

Was this a CPO, or do you have the maintenance history? If not, I'd suggest:

PCV valve-very easy DIY. Part~ $20.00 I went Honda OEM.

Air filter/Cabin Filter. On Amazon $10 and $7 respectively. I can give you the links to the ones I purchased, if you want.

New Iridium plugs soon. $45-50. Easy DIY.

Honda recommends a valve adjustment on the 2.4 @ 105,000 miles. I have read about occasional issues with damaged exhaust valves over time w/o a regular valve adjustment. Your startup rattle also could be due to piston slap, another occasional problem with the 2.4 litre. Nothing to worry about. Piston slap is just a pain in the rear. Overall, some Honda 4 cylinders can get noisy over time, but this does not seem to affect engine longevity (with proper maintenance, of course).

I've had the valves adjusted, and serp belt, water pump, iridium spark plugs, air and cabin filters all replaced. I've had a few friends mention the different heat shields as well. Just odd how I never heard the noise before I changed the oil.

Originally Posted By: Lumberjacks1
I've had the valves adjusted, and serp belt, water pump, iridium spark plugs, air and cabin filters all replaced. I've had a few friends mention the different heat shields as well. Just odd how I never heard the noise before I changed the oil.

Not noise related, but think about doing the pcv as well.

How were the valves when adjusted? JUst curious. I'll look at mine soon.

There is a TSB that may apply to a 2007 Accord for replacement of the cam phaser on the intake camshaft to address the brief start-up rattle. These sometimes get loud with age. If the rattle is brief (only 1-2 seconds), it's likely the cam phaser.

Originally Posted By: Lumberjacks1
Just odd how I never heard the noise before I changed the oil.

It could be the choice in oil and/or filter as well. Every SOPUS synthetic I've used (including PP 5W-20) in our CR-V has caused the engine to run louder than other oils. Pennzoil conventional runs pretty quiet, but the quietest oil I've used in it has been Mobil 1 0W-20.

I don't use SOPUS synthetics in our CR-V anymore. Not because I don't think they're good oils (I use them in our MDX), but because I simply don't care for the increased engine noise when used in the K24. They run stone quiet in the J35 in our MDX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back