2013 BMW X1 N20 80k Miles

There is no recall, there is only an extended warranty. Here in Canada it is 112k km.
I had read up on this prior. Mechanic says the chain feels right, but the "push on it with a screwdriver through the oil filler hole" is less reliable than I would like LOL. The fact it seems tight at 80k gives me good vibes that this is not an engine that will be impacted. That said, if the right oil and OCI helps I will do that for sure.

I had read up on this prior. Mechanic says the chain feels right, but the "push on it with a screwdriver through the oil filler hole" is less reliable than I would like LOL. The fact it seems tight at 80k gives me good vibes that this is not an engine that will be impacted. That said, if the right oil and OCI helps I will do that for sure.
Most of the time, we replace when they get noisy, which is long before they start throwing codes. Sounds like a bad bearing.

I will take some video of the engine on cold start up/ hood open and post it here just in case you hear that bad bearing sound. May not be possible to even do this on this board or that you could hear anything but it is worth a try.

I will take some video of the engine on cold start up/ hood open and post it here just in case you hear that bad bearing sound. May not be possible to even do this on this board or that you could hear anything but it is worth a try.
It is normally really loud. Often a car will drive through the shop with the noise and all the techs start yelling "Timing chain!!!"

N20 is loud at start up, but that is not timing chain noise.

Not sure how long it will take for that 12 sec video to be approved for viewing, but it is there.

EDIT: OK, it is up and that video is WAAAAY louder than it was in person. WOW.

Last edited:
I have a new to me X1 as described above.

Previous owner has been using Liqui Moly Top Tec 4200 5w-30 year round here in Michigan since 26k miles. I have been reading as much as I can and there seems to be many good brands that fit the required specs. I changed the oil today using the same oil and an OEM filter, easy peasy.

The LM is expensive and there seems to be several alternatives. Penzoil Platinum Euro is frequently mentioned and is available at Walmartfor $23/5qt as an example.

I am not cheap and will most certainly use an oil that is best just wondering if the LM is the best choice.

I was aware of the time chain guide potential when I had it inspected and my mechanic says the chain is tight and properly snug, but given the potential chain issues I want to make the best choice. I will keep the OCI at 5k going forward.

So, recommendations on oil?

I spent the last couple of hours on here and I am starting to go in circles, LOL.

Thanks in advance!

I have a new to me X1 as described above.

Previous owner has been using Liqui Moly Top Tec 4200 5w-30 year round here in Michigan since 26k miles. I have been reading as much as I can and there seems to be many good brands that fit the required specs. I changed the oil today using the same oil and an OEM filter, easy peasy.

The LM is expensive and there seems to be several alternatives. Penzoil Platinum Euro is frequently mentioned and is available at Walmartfor $23/5qt as an example.

I am not cheap and will most certainly use an oil that is best just wondering if the LM is the best choice.

I was aware of the time chain guide potential when I had it inspected and my mechanic says the chain is tight and properly snug, but given the potential chain issues I want to make the best choice. I will keep the OCI at 5k going forward.

So, recommendations on oil?

I spent the last couple of hours on here and I am starting to go in circles, LOL.

Thanks in advance!
I have 2016 N20 in a 5 series. last two changes i used Ravenol products sourced from Blauparts. Current fill is 5w-40 VST, with BMW LL-01 approval as well. Formulated for gas engines with one or more turbos.

My interval approached 8k miles or more...95% highway driving and I do have some hard acceleration from time to time to redline.

I do not have evidence from a UOA on this oil but for me, I have piece of mind. That means something. I order this online and it is on the doorstep in 2 days, nice packaging etc.

Next fill with be same 5w-40 VST. Current miles on unit 111,000.

Back