2012 Honda Odyssey 20,038 oci. 244,452 mi. m1 0w40

My friends 2012 Odyssey. He drives 50-70k per year mostly rural and highway. His name is Kazu, the unit ID is Kazu Van, which is why it shows in comment section

Been using Mobil 1 0w40 the past few oil changes. This oci was with the api SP version and one of the quarts of top off may have been SN. Van had an ignition coil failure out of town and may have contributed to the uptick in iron blackstone noted. It was also 1.5 quarts low at time of oil change. He does not check the oil, I'm usually able to check it for him when our schedules fit.

The van does not have VCM disabled. Van had a hard life before he bought it at 80k. Questionable service history and heavy dark brown varnish visible through oil cap. I have replaced the pcv valve which broke apart and was choked up with deposits. I have watched the varnish through the oil cap clean up somewhat and turn more red in color over time.

I didnt take pictures of the non wire backed Fram Ultra XG7317 but it looked very good considering 20k miles.

2012 Odyssey.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Considering how much highway use it gets and that 2 quarts were added in being almost half of the 4.5qt capacity I'm not too surprised. Lots of high speed driving that racks up miles + top ups will give good results.

1 qt of oil per 5824 miles needed. That's great for the mileage on this van. And actually based on the avg iron count on the first run posted it appears the iron would have ended up at 14.3785563132 (C&P) ppm on this 20k run so 17 PPM is right in line with what is expected. It appears adding the 2 quarts didn't mess up the reading too bad. How many more miles do you think they'll get out of this van? You did mention rust.

1 qt of oil per 5824 miles needed. That's great for the mileage on this van. And actually based on the avg iron count on the first run posted it appears the iron would have ended up at 14.3785563132 (C&P) ppm on this 20k run so 17 PPM is right in line with what is expected. It appears adding the 2 quarts didn't mess up the reading too bad. How many more miles do you think they'll get out of this van? You did mention rust.
That's quite the level of precision and significant digits you have there. What does that come out to, parts per zecaquilidillion?

I appreciate that. It's been right around a quart every 6,000 since he bought it, no change. I dont think the rear subframe area has more than 3 years before there are holes. If he gets 3 more years at 50-70k per year then hopefully 150k-210k more miles. When he bought it at 80k the transmission cooler line immediately developed a huge leak, he didnt know there was a problem for some time as he was getting used to the van still and which (eco) lights were normal and not (flashing D) The transmission shouldn't have survived 1 more mile past that point. Every mile is a bonus. It had some scary trouble codes and was slipping etc badly. Drained and filled transmission fluid maybe 8 times since then it no longer comes out black or nuclear burnt toast stench.

I appreciate that. It's been right around a quart every 6,000 since he bought it, no change. I dont think the rear subframe area has more than 3 years before there are holes. If he gets 3 more years at 50-70k per year then hopefully 150k-210k more miles. When he bought it at 80k the transmission cooler line immediately developed a huge leak, he didnt know there was a problem for some time as he was getting used to the van still and which (eco) lights were normal and not (flashing D) The transmission shouldn't have survived 1 more mile past that point. Every mile is a bonus. It had some scary trouble codes and was slipping etc badly. Drained and filled transmission fluid maybe 8 times since then it no longer comes out black or nuclear burnt toast stench.
Wow, another 150k+ would put him at 394K. Good info! Seems like he's getting every dollar's worth out of that van. Hopefully, next time he'll not be 1.5 qts low when you see it again though.

Imagine how much higher the TBN would’ve been if you topped off the 1.5 quarts that were low instead of changing it.

Biggest issue here with a long run is that it gets dangerously low on oil level. A filter change mid-OCI would add even more top off and replenish TBN further.

Wow, another 150k+ would put him at 394K. Good info! Seems like he's getting every dollar's worth out of that van. Hopefully, next time he'll not be 1.5 qts low when you see it again though.
I'll post every uoa along the way if it all happens. So far I've kept it full throughout oci except this time our schedules prevented it at the end

I'll post every uoa along the way if it all happens. So far I've kept it full throughout oci except this time our schedules prevented it at the end
You're doing everything you can to keep this van on the road... Keep it up! (y)

Uhhhh what are you talking about? This oil meets many Euro standards, and most Euro mfr OCIs are 3-4x longer than most cars on API oils. In order to meet the Euro standards, the oil must be capable of meeting the mfr OCIs…

Regardless its an impressive TBN after 20,000 miles of use.

Regardless its an impressive TBN after 20,000 miles of use.
It also had 2 quarts of makeup oil added during the run. Considering that’s ~40% of the sump capacity, it’s a so-so result IMO. Not terrible, not mind-blowing. But there’s definitely a good amount of fuel as evidenced by the flashpoint, so it’s good that it was changed at this time rather than just topping it off.

Back