2012 Honda Odyssey 20,038 oci. 244,452 mi. m1 0w40

Looks pretty similar to mine:

Even with two quarts of makeup oil, which is understandable given the age and mileage of the vehicle, the results are beyond impressive.

As I see it, there isn't a single good reason to spend money on overpriced and overhyped boutique oils.

Just my 0.02¢.

Thanks for posting, interesting to me owning a 11 Ody with 211k miles. Why using the 0w40 instead of 0w20 Honda spec oil?

Just noticed the 2 quarts burned per OCI…How many spark plugs does he get per oil change? Being funny, but wondering given this engines reputation for fouling plugs without VCM disabled… (been through that with our 11 Ody and disabling VCM fixed the issue for at least 50k miles)

Last edited:
Thanks for posting, interesting to me owning a 11 Ody with 211k miles. Why using the 0w40 instead of 0w20 Honda spec oil?

Just noticed the 2 quarts burned per OCI…How many spark plugs does he get per oil change? Being funny, but wondering given this engines reputation for fouling plugs without VCM disabled… (been through that with our 11 Ody and disabling VCM fixed the issue for at least 50k miles)
3.5 qt for 20K is actually pretty **** good for a J35 VCM engine from that era. Usually those drink a quart every 1-3K by this time, if not more.

Saw your uoa posted the other day. Impressive especially zero top off!

I've been using m1 0w40 because of its reputation for slow cleaning. This van had some really dark thick varnish visible through the oil fill. The viscosity doesnt matter to me as much as the slow cleaning over time. This van would be ideal for HPL if it wasnt as rusty as it is. I changed the original spark plugs at 200k actually 🤦‍♂️ and they looked decent

Saw your uoa posted the other day. Impressive especially zero top off!

I've been using m1 0w40 because of its reputation for slow cleaning. This van had some really dark thick varnish visible through the oil fill. The viscosity doesnt matter to me as much as the slow cleaning over time. This van would be ideal for HPL if it wasnt as rusty as it is. I changed the original spark plugs at 200k actually 🤦‍♂️ and they looked decent

That makes sense on the 0w40. Amazed on the orginal spark plugs making it 200k. Does it have to pass emissions/smog/inspection? Ours has had a CEL for P0420 since like 120k miles but we dont have emissions testing.

Even with two quarts of makeup oil, which is understandable given the age and mileage of the vehicle, the results are beyond impressive.

As I see it, there isn't a single good reason to spend money on overpriced and overhyped boutique oils.

Just my 0.02¢.
No, not based on a $30 spectrographic analysis. But that also doesn’t give comparative quality between motor oils.

That makes sense on the 0w40. Amazed on the orginal spark plugs making it 200k. Does it have to pass emissions/smog/inspection? Ours has had a CEL for P0420 since like 120k miles but we dont have emissions testing.
It wasnt misfiring or running bad or anything either. It does have to pass inspection and emissions and it does. No lights or concerns yet. When he got it near 80k it had a code for egr flow. I cleaned the egr valve, it hasn't come back. After the first m1 0w40 oil change it had a code for the vcm and was misfiring from it. I short changed that oil and used liqui moly engine flush. That vcm code and misfire hasn't come back either. Those are the only drivetrain problems hes had with the van since 80k

Good report other than the low flashpoint. Hard to complain about wear metals less than 1ppm/1k miles in any category. TBN was clearly boosted by the top off oils. The body will probably rust out before the engine dies.

I know I’ll get blasted. If he’s driving 300+ miles a day. He said 50k-75k a year. This is mostly hwy miles, very similar to semi trucks. My company changes every 20k miles. At 50% life, I need a gallon of oil every 10k
He's coming up on another 20k+ oil change after thanksgiving and there has been less oil consumption this round. His driving has been less this year than others. Due to where he lives it's a mix of highway and lots of rural hilly open road. Will post when uoa is available.

TBN was clearly boosted by the top of oils.

High mileage Engines burn oil…
Heck, Engines in general burn oil.

Seeing as it’s perfectly natural (to an extent, IMO) for engines to burn SOME oil, obviously top offs and the fresh additives that come along are automatically part of the deal.

The OP said the engine was 1.5qt low on oil, so definitely the last 5-6,000 miles the engine was running on barely 3qts of oil 😬🫣😱

Changed the oil again. Added 2 quarts top off (Mobil 1 0w40, one quart was SN the other SP) during the oci and the level was not low this time around at time of oil change. Pretty dang impressed with this van. Mobil 1 0w40 and Fram Ultra came out/off. The old ultra was mostly unremarkable. Slightly wavy pleats, no significant junk between pleats with pick to scrape out, slight deposit paste at bottom edges of can where in contact with bypass valve. Mobil 1 0w40 and Fram Endurance went back in/on.

Attachments

• 2012 odyssey 1924_240109_175554.jpg
    2012 odyssey 1924_240109_175554.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 27
Back