Subaru Forester 17,185mi oci, HPL 0w30

2018 Forester 6 speed manual FB25.

2 quarts top off added before 9,000 miles. Consumption due to PCV consumption. I have replaced the specified pcv valve with the newer larger pcv valve in the 2019 Forester, Ascent as well as the tubing to the intake manifold. Consumption since replacing valve with newer design has been less than 1/4 quart. All previous pcv valves the engine would consume oil on highway when valve had more than 2,000-3,000 miles.
Current fill is HPL 0w20 with 2,000 miles still no consumption on new design pcv valve.

Aluminum uptick has coincided with increase in the startup rattle this engine has had since brand new. I will likely take front cover off and inspect timing components. I suspect a bad tensioner, possibly bad cam phaser.

First 9,000 miles of oci were cross country road trip. The remainder were mix of highway and rural backroads. I generally drive conservatively but plenty of Italian tune ups and use of the full rpm range somewhat regularly.
Forester .jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed. 7ppm not necessarily concerning but it essentially doubling over a similar run last oil change with the startup rattle getting much louder has me wanting to fix the noise.

A difference between 3 and 7 isn't concerning. The ICP margin of error could cover that spread. We're talking parts per million or 0.0003% and 0.0007% respectively. It could be a couple ppm leftover from a previous sample that was run through the machine which may have had 400 ppm Al and Fe and not all of it came out in the quick flush between samples. In short, it's unremarkable.

The KV100 is great, the TBN is almost where some SP oils start so all good there, and no fuel or water dilution. That's a good report.

In for someone to mention adding 2 quarts of make up oil.
PCV related best I can tell. Curious what it will be with current different pcv valve over the course of an entire oci. So far have driven 11-12,000 miles with different newer pcv valve design.

mt23,
I believe Pablo was referring to the fact that the UOA results were skewed because of the (significant) 2 quarts of makeup oil that was added and that should be taken into account in evaluating the results of the analysis. I don't think he was referring to the cause of the consumption.

Last edited:
mt23,
I believe Pablo he was referring to the fact that the UOA results were skewed because of the (significant) 2 quarts of makeup oil that was added and that should be taken into account in evaluating the results of the analysis. I don't think he was referring to the cause of the consumption.
Good point. Looking forward to possibility of lowering that top off and having less skewed results

mt23,
I believe Pablo he was referring to the fact that the UOA results were skewed because of the (significant) 2 quarts of makeup oil that was added and that should be taken into account in evaluating the results of the analysis. I don't think he was referring to the cause of the consumption.
Indeed.

Only because the comments on other UOA's.

Agreed. 7ppm not necessarily concerning but it essentially doubling over a similar run last oil change with the startup rattle getting much louder has me wanting to fix the noise.
Inverted filter on FB25 will give you a dry start. Those cans are ALWAYS empty when I perform an OC. I will see with the new Tokyo Roki if I do that oil change next spring.

We have the new OE Tokyo Roki on our Crosstrek - engine is MUCH quieter at startup.
The blue painted frams are not "good enough" filters, I guess SOA finanally woke up - or more like it's cost driven.
Also I found these engines to be very sluggish around town on high HTHS lubricants. Have you noticed this?

I think we are on our 8th subaru in 34 years. I lost count.

Last edited:
The tbn is good given that the viscosity isn't showing signs of notable oxidative thickening though i don't know what the virgin viscosity is it is at the ceiling of a 30 grade. but it could be if blackstone under reported the viscosity I doubt the virgin viscosity is below 11. It would be nice if blackstone showed the acidity.

So what do you use in the transmission and diff.

Inverted filter on FB25 will give you a dry start. Thoise cans are ALWAYS empty when I [perform an OC. I will see with the Roki if I do that oil change next spring.

We have the new OE Tokyo Roki on our Crosstrek - engine is MUCH quieter at startup.
The blue painted frams are not "good enough" filters, I guess SOA finanally woke up - or more like it's cost driven.
Also I found these engines to be very sluggish around town on high HTHS lubricants. Have you noticed this?

I think we are on our 8th subaru in 34 years. I lost count.
ARCO the noise I am referring to is not your normal FB startup noise. I work on these and this engine definitely has a not normal startup noise. It started out as the tensioner noise but now is quite the booming racket unti oil pressure builds and I intend to fix it. I have noticed more sluggish on high hths but not a deal breaker for me if it consumes less.

ARCO the noise I am referring to is not your normal FB startup noise. I work on these and this engine definitely has a not normal startup noise. It started out as the tensioner noise but now is quite the booming racket unti oil pressure builds and I intend to fix it. I have noticed more sluggish on high hths but not a deal breaker for me if it consumes less.
I that an engine out job? Or a subframe drivetrain drop? That is a big front cover.

Long chains have no place in an engine, IMHO. This has been proven time and time again in the past decade across multiple marques.

This is why I like the honda ratchting tensioners, never had noise with them. My Ford/Mazda 2L sounds like it is sawing through the timing cover with only 13K mi, on the clock.

Last edited:
I’d try a thicker 40-weight oil to cushion the tc components and quiet the engine down. STP quieted down startup rattle in my G5 nicely.

I that an engine out job? Or a subframe drivetrain drop? That is a big front cover.

Long chains have no place in an engine, IMHO. This has been proven time and time again in the past decade across multiple marques.

This is why I like the honda ratchting tensioners, never had noise with them. My Ford/Mazda 2L sounds like it is sawing through the timing cover with only 13K mi, on the clock.
Engine in, remove radiator fans.

2018 Forester 6 speed manual FB25.

2 quarts top off added before 9,000 miles. Consumption due to PCV consumption. I have replaced the specified pcv valve with the newer larger pcv valve in the 2019 Forester, Ascent as well as the tubing to the intake manifold. Consumption since replacing valve with newer design has been less than 1/4 quart. All previous pcv valves the engine would consume oil on highway when valve had more than 2,000-3,000 miles.
Current fill is HPL 0w20 with 2,000 miles still no consumption on new design pcv valve.

Aluminum uptick has coincided with increase in the startup rattle this engine has had since brand new. I will likely take front cover off and inspect timing components. I suspect a bad tensioner, possibly bad cam phaser.

First 9,000 miles of oci were cross country road trip. The remainder were mix of highway and rural backroads. I generally drive conservatively but plenty of Italian tune ups and use of the full rpm range somewhat regularly.
View attachment 181106
Wow - what kind of driving do you do .
city / highway ratio?
Im so curious.
Thanks for sharing

Back