2012 Dodge Ram 5.7 Hemi 5w20 Mobil 1 630Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a preface let me say this truck has me a little bit concerned. The wife ran this truck without oil for ~1 mile (thank God it was downhill), she forgot I had told her not to drive it as the oil filter advance auto gave me did not include a gasket and I had to fetch a new one. What do you guys/gals think ?

image.jpg

Last edited:
Checked the pan and nothing was present, filter teardown showed no "parts" being present. Engine it's self runs fine, compression tested fine, and (other than my compulsive nervousness about it) runs like new.

Ran it without oil on a new engine!! Well the high copper is from somewhere else besides the crank and rod bearings. If your bearings are babbit your good because the lead and tin numbers are low. If they are an alum bi metal bearings you are also good as the alum number is good. Iron and chrome are good so my best guess is you escaped damage. Actually this same sort of thing happened to a friend using M1 oil. He developed a bad leak from an oil filter being on loose but no damage to the engine.

Last edited:
Pretty tough to surmise from a UOA if anything happened IMO. Nothing here looks bad, especially with only 2300 miles on the engine.

Should be ok, but scary I bet! If anything ever happens like that again, unhook the battery until she's all buttoned up again
smile.gif

Looks good, what tig1 said.

Seriously, need to have a better access control process in these types of scenarios.

Step #1 -> tell the wife not to TOUCH the car until you've given the 'all clear'.
Step 2 -> Hide all keys.
Step 3 -> Put large post-it taped to the steering wheel with an appropriate message
grin.gif

Ouch, it happens!

Years ago my neighbor's fiance once ran out to move his car into the garage for him because it was going to storm (he wasn't home). But he had taken the carb off of it, it burned to the ground!

A good woman is still priceless though.

I think OP do another short run and UOA again and see if any of this cleans up.

If engine sounds ok quiet and smooth no rattles loud ticks or knocks then dont worry just do oil analysis for next couple changes....if it was me tho I would probably make a bee line to local Chrysler dealer to trade on a new one!

Originally Posted By: Miller88
What made her realize that there was no oil after a mile?

Me having a near heart attack when I came home and calling her cell phone !

High copper seems to be an issue on HEMI's early in their life. At least some. I had even higher copper readings on my 2008 with more miles on it's 1st UOA. Even the enxt UOA where it had dropped was no lower than yours as memory serves. Was told Chrysler uses a copper based gasket sealant and it is probably that leeching out.

If the engine runs good and makes no "bad" sounds I would not worry. I agree with the other member to take the keys away from the wife.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back