Pennzoil 5w-20 2021 Ram 5.7 Hemi

This is from my 2021 Ram Rebel with the 5.7 Hemi. It was Pennzoil Ultra 5w-20 with a Purolator Boss oil filter. It ran for roughly 7 months and 2700ish miles. Pretty concerned about the copper levels on a truck with only 10k miles on it. Also, seems pretty low base level for an oil with only 2700 miles on it.

Currently running Amsoil Boosted 5w-20 and the thought was to go with the better of the two after analysis but right now that copper level sent me spinning.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• BA26BA45-A62A-4886-A86A-EB17FD6119D4.jpeg
    BA26BA45-A62A-4886-A86A-EB17FD6119D4.jpeg
    176.6 KB · Views: 460
This is from my 2021 Ram Rebel with the 5.7 Hemi. It was Pennzoil Ultra 5w-20 with a Purolator Boss oil filter. It ran for roughly 7 months and 2700ish miles. Pretty concerned about the copper levels on a truck with only 10k miles on it. Also, seems pretty low base level for an oil with only 2700 miles on it.

Currently running Amsoil Boosted 5w-20 and the thought was to go with the better of the two after analysis but right now that copper level sent me spinning.

Any thoughts?
With only 10k miles, you're looking mostly at break-in metals. Retest at 20k or 30k and you'll see the metals fall into place. As for TBN, I agree it does look low, but keep in mind TBN does not drop linearly. Usually the final 1/3 lasts much longer than the first 1/3. Regardless, 2700 miles in 7 months is going to hurt TBN. The more highway miles (generally, the more miles you drive in less time), the higher your TBN will be for the same amount of miles.

Any thoughts?
That UOA won’t ever tell you which is the “better of the two.”

I used to use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, but stopped using it since even when new, it's usually close to the KV @100C viscosity of the next thinner grade.

If you're concerned about wear metals, google this: HTHS wear graph.

PUP 5W-20 has HTHS = 2.6
Mobil 1 Euro ESP 5W-30 has HTHS = 3.5

Now that you have a UOA wear metal baseline with the HTHS = 2.6 oil, you may wish to try a HTHS = 3.5 oil with your next oil change and compare the UOA's.

Last edited:

Any thoughts?
Purlolator Boss filters aren't very efficient at filtering impurities. I would recommend switching to a Fram Ultra.

Is this your first oil sample on this truck? Looks like break in wear is still happening. More sampling, over time, will tell a better story.
Yup first one. Gonna run another one after the amsoil runs its course and then was gonna do one once a year after that.

Purlolator Boss filters aren't very efficient at filtering impurities. I would recommend switching to a Fram Ultra.

So I read that after I put the boss on. This time I’m running the purolater one which has a better micron rating than the boss. Who would have thought they would have their mid tier filter have a better micron rating than their flagship filter? I want to try the new Fram filter that just hit the shelves next.

That UOA won’t ever tell you which is the “better of the two.”

Probably correct I will say one thing I’ve noticed with the amsoil already is that it’s 1-2 psi higher at both idle and driving than the pennzoil was which I’ve read is important for these Hemis. Maybe it’s a thicker 5w-20? We’ll see.

Probably correct I will say one thing I’ve noticed with the amsoil already is that it’s 1-2 psi higher at both idle and driving than the pennzoil was which I’ve read is important for these Hemis. Maybe it’s a thicker 5w-20? We’ll see.
Yes the pressure would be related to the viscosity (and temperature).

So I read that after I put the boss on. This time I’m running the purolater one which has a better micron rating than the boss. Who would have thought they would have their mid tier filter have a better micron rating than their flagship filter? I want to try the new Fram filter that just hit the shelves next.
The boss was designed to have the longest oil change intervals without the possibility of clogging the filter.

That’s not much of a trade-off and actually not necessary.
You & I already know that. Obviously, they had their reasoning to manufacture a less efficient line of filters. Wether or not you agree with that reasoning is another topic. I believe they did it to err on the side of caution for European manufacturers sake. They were going to be the OEM supplier of Mercedes using the Boss filter as an example. Perhaps they didn't want any liability or possibility as I stated. When I spoke to one of Purolator's (mann & Hummel) engineers, when this line first launched, they stated priority was given to not clogging up over the longer duration. We know other filter brands that offer greater efficiency over the same mileage as the Boss line so we can say that it can be done.

I used to use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, but stopped using it since even when new, it's usually close to the KV @100C viscosity of the next thinner grade.

If you're concerned about wear metals, google this: HTHS wear graph.

PUP 5W-20 has HTHS = 2.6
Mobil 1 Euro ESP 5W-30 has HTHS = 3.5

Now that you have a UOA wear metal baseline with the HTHS = 2.6 oil, you may wish to try a HTHS = 3.5 oil with your next oil change and compare the UOA's.
HTHS is higher for the euro oriented blends. If you want to compare apples to apples, you should compare the ESP to PPE LX 0w30 or PPE Euro L 5w30. All three are great oils with a HTHS of 3.5.

I've noticed the same on my VVT 5.7 hemi. I also will get the oil "incorrect viscosity" code running Amsoil, but not with PUP.

I've noticed the same on my VVT 5.7 hemi. I also will get the oil "incorrect viscosity" code running Amsoil, but not with PUP.

Really? What is the 5.7 in? Guys in the 5.7 trucks have run everything from 0w-20 to 5w-30 and 0w-40, they've never got a single code and MDS still works just as it always does. Redline 5w-30 is often recommended and it's pretty much a 40 weight from what I understand.

Code's notwithstanding, I believe there is more swing in viscosity from a 5w-20 from -20F cold start in winter to 250F pulling a trailer up a hill, than there is going from 0w-20 to 0w-40 at any single temperature. So in terms of actual harm to the engine, there can't be any.

Back