2011 Subaru oil recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
My new outback has close to 1000 miles, and I plan to change the oil to get rid of any metal shavings that occurred during break in. In the past, I have been very particular as to what I put in my car, typically Redline but am wondering since there is no turbo to cook the oil, what else can I use for engine longevity that is easier to find. PZ Ultra is difficult to find where I live, PP is everywhere as is Mobil 1. I plan to drive this car for the rest of my life, so want a clean, well protected engine. Also, what filter should I use? I have always used Mobil 1 filters, but they are also tough to find. I plan to change my oil every 7500 miles, and I take mostly short trips of 5 miles or less. Thanks in advance!!

Last edited:
hmm since its a new car under warranty, why not use what Subaru recommends? plain ol SM (or new SN) rated oil, maybe start with 3000 miles first send out a sample and go from there.

N/A Subaru's are generally easy on oil so pick whichever oil you lie, IMO. PP would be a good choice. Red Line is great oil, but doesn't actually have API specs and I would agree that it's not needed for an n/a car. I would do a uoa at 5k miles first since you want to go to the normal service interval under severe driving conditions.

For the oil filter, I would stick with OEM since it meets Subaru's bypass spec of 23 psi's.

-Dennis

Last edited:
I'd use Subaru oil filters with what ever you choose as your oil of choice. They have a very unusual bypass pressure and many aftermarket manufacturers don't match it.

With such short trips I'd caution on going to 7500 OCIs with ANY oil.

The Subaru motor is easy on any oil so I'd pick whatever you'd like and prob stay around 4000 mile OCIs (at least till you are out of warranty) and any good filter. I've used Supertech, WIX, Purones, and Purolators on my 2007 Subaru Outback NA with no problems. The only OEM was the factory that was changed @ 1200 miles.

My last UOA (okay all of them
grin2.gif
) have been great. Good luck with the new rig. I've got 50k on mine and its doing good.

I'm using 5w-30 conventional and 10w-30 in mine. MPG average over 50k miles is a little under 27.

I don't think they have gone to chains on yours yet? Forestor has for 2011.

Take care, Bill

Change it according to manual especially with the short trips you described.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/maintenance2.html

I wouldn't bother changing until 3000 miles as suggested, there are no metal shavings, there never was nor ever will be.

Bill is also correct about the Outback not having the timing chain engine. So use any flavor of 5w30 you like.

Last edited:
I think the Pennzoil Platinum and Mobil 1 you can find would be very good choices, just use the Subaru stated viscosity for now.

I agree the OE oil filter would be a smart/safe choice, otherwise, just use one you find to be high quality.

You might want to start out with shorter change intervals and build them up, if things look good.

Originally Posted By: Tribeca
I plan to drive this car for the rest of my life, so want a clean, well protected engine.

Are you 95 years old?
grin2.gif

Kidding aside, PP and M1 are good choices. If you go with M1 I'd choose their HM version. Seems like an excellent oil.

If you stick with 4-5k OCIs, conventional oil is your ticket. The lube choice in this engine isn't a big factor with respect to how long the car will last you. Typically something else dies on the H4 before any lube related part. Following the maintenance schedule on your car is the most important thing you can do for it.

Tribeca (did you own a Tribeca before this Outback? :D)

for the oil filter, just go OEM filter b/c it meets the OEM bypass valve specs.

for the oil, run either Pennzoil Platinum, or Subaru's own synthetic oil (pennzoil platinum is cheaper than mobilone)

if you're wondering where to get the OEM stuff from, try your local dealer or get it from Jamie at Subarugenuineparts.com

(OT:Dennis does the subaru 3.6 have a 23psi bypass valve spec as well?)

For the first few months, conventional 5w30, and then synthetic 5w30 every 7000 miles.

After the car passes 200k miles you should switch it to 5w40 synthetic and it will run forever..

Less than 5 miles is severe service. Anything less than a 20 minute drive does not get the oil up to temperature.

I run Rotella T5 10W-30 at 3750 mile intervals in my Legacy GT. With your short trips, this oil and interval would be better for your engine than a synthetic at 7500 miles, IMHO.

Ed

Originally Posted By: agam

(OT:Dennis does the subaru 3.6 have a 23psi bypass valve spec as well?)

I'm not 100% certain but I believe so.

-Dennis

Thanks for the great feedback, I appreciate it. No, I am not really old, just feel like it some days. 2) In between two Outbacks, I did own a Tribeca, but never really cared for it and it and sold it after about a year. I just don't know how to change my forum name.

I plan to stick with the Subaru oil filter, and will go with PP. Fr some reason, our local walmart discontinued carrying Ultra, which if I can can find, I'll use.

Thanks again!

These answers are too easy. The Subaru is one of the last engines to allow a wide range of oil viscosities and so warrants some more homework. First, your OCI. I’m in the camp that given your less than 5 mile trips that 7500 miles is too long. The buildup of moisture and fuel dilution won’t be offset by the properties of a synthetic, IMHO. Only if at least once a week you gave it a good long run, would other than a 3750 OCI be appropriate for a long life. Additionally, you only have a 4.5 qt sump which really doesn’t lend itself to extended OCI’s either. I don’t know your local climate, but the Pacific NW is not extreme hot or cold, but I’m sure there are days. So what oil would I run if in your situation? Well, I would consider strongly a straight 30wt. Specifically Chevron Supreme since it is about the thinnest 30wt I’ve seen and should be readily available on the left coast. Why a monograde? Higher levels of ZDDP, less volatile, my belief that it would better handle moisture and fuel dilution (but, I have no scientific facts to substantiate that) and could be cheaper in 5 gal pails. I would say that it would also be a good grade for the VW and the ’49 in your signature so now you’ve got 1 oil in the inventory for 3 vehicles. My next choices would be Pennzoil HD or Castrol HD in 30 wt. If you really want a unique oil then maybe Brad Penn Penn Grade 1 30 wt (its green, any color match?) or Schaeffer Moly Bond X200 30 wt. For any temperatures below 40F switch to a 5w-30. Of course none of these have the starburst symbol so I’m cheating the manual recommendations some. Just living on the wild side.

There is one aftermarket filter spec’d to the Subaru PSID and that is the Purolator 14460. I run them with no problem. I think they are a better value, in performance and cost, than the factory filter, but have no problem with the OEM other than overpriced.

Otherwise, what every body else said.

Wow. That might be overthinking it.
grin2.gif

The correct puro filter is 14612, unless there's a new one out that I'm not aware of.

Originally Posted By: webfors
grin2.gif

The correct puro filter is 14612, unless there's a new one out that I'm not aware of.

Yes, correct from the filter lookup chart, but it doesn't meet the bypass spec. The 14460 is what you got when Purolator made Suby filters. I back spec'd it.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: WagonBoss
grin2.gif

Yes, correct from the filter lookup chart, but it doesn't meet the bypass spec. The 14460 is what you got when Purolator made Suby filters. I back spec'd it.
lol.gif

Hmmm.. the diameter of the 14460 is 3.15 versus 2.69 for the 14612, and the 14460 doesn't have an ADBV! Two issues I have with that. The first, does it actually fit in that small opening between the exhaust headers? I assume it does if you're using it. Theoretically the larger diameter should have deeper pleats in the media.

However, my biggest concern is no ADBV? All filters spec'd for the H4 that I have researched have one, including the Subaru OEM filter.

Originally Posted By: WagonBoss
grin2.gif

lol.gif

Hmmm.. the diameter of the 14460 is 3.15 versus 2.69 for the 14612, and the 14460 doesn't have an ADBV! Two issues I have with that. The first, does it actually fit in that small opening between the exhaust headers? I assume it does if you're using it. Theoretically the larger diameter should have deeper pleats in the media.

However, my biggest concern is no ADBV? All filters spec'd for the H4 that I have researched have one, including the Subaru OEM filter.

Some say ADBV doesn't matter due to the upward horizontal mount of the filter.

I think the fit varies by model and MY. I know it doesn't fit WRX's (and maybe other turbos) after 2006 because of the exhaust.

-Dennis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back