2011 Cruze 1.4T older SL Mobil1 5w30 @6619 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbm

Vehicle 2011 Chevy Cruze 1.4 Turbo
Miles on unit 30924
Miles on oil 6619
Oil Added - NONE
This UOA was done by ALS Labs from a $14 NAPA UOA kit.

The OLM read 36% when changed but the early Cruzen had the optimistic OLM and this was 10 year old oil so I didn't want to go past 6 months just in case.

I ran this oil from 12/22/13 until 6/15/14 with a decent mix of highway and in town driving. Not too many trips less than 10 miles.

IRON 11
CHROMIUM < 1
LEAD < 1
COPPER 1
TIN < 1
ALUMNIUM 8
NICKEL < 1
SILVER < 1
TITANIUM < 1
VANADIUM < 1

SILICON 8
SODIUM 19
POTASSIUM 6

MAGNESIUM 15
CALCIUM 3129
BARIUM < 1
PHOSPHORUS 938
ZINC 1016
MOLYBDNUM 91
BORON 156

WATER < 0.05
COOLANT NO

Visc. 10.6

Base# mgKo/g 4.7

I'm assuming the Base# correlates to TBN and that I could have run this a bit further?
The numbers seem to be in line with other UOAs of the 1.4T and it doesn't look like the
10 years in my stash did any harm....Comments...Thanks.

SL eh? Dude, go stand in the corner. A 2011 needs dexos1 mandatory. Still, that old SL Mobil1 is probably better than many current dexos1 oils. It did qualify for GM's 4718M anyway.

Am I correct in assuming that Base# 4.7 is the same as a TBN of 4.7?

I probably wouldn't have ran this SL oil if the car used oil but it goes the whole OCI without adding any oil so I wasn't worried about poisoning the cat converter with the higher phosphorous in the SL version.

I also think this UOA shows that oil doesn't go 'bad'...it just gets out of specification...

Originally Posted By: pbm

I probably wouldn't have ran this SL oil if the car used oil but it goes the whole OCI without adding any oil so I wasn't worried about poisoning the cat converter with the higher phosphorous in the SL version.

I also think this UOA shows that oil doesn't go 'bad'...it just gets out of specification...

I'm glad to see that! I've been building my stock pile of PennZoil Ultra since they've been offering the gas discount deal. I've been getting it at Walmart for about $1.00 per quart! I have 14 5qt jugs now for my Cruze LT, should last me 5 or so years.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: pbm

Yes.

So I probably could have taken this oil to at least 8K it seems.
The Cruze really turns the oil dark fast which had concerned me even though I know it really doesn't indicate a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back