Ravenol WIV 0w-30 approx. 12k miles Chevy Volt

Hello folks. I did not bother to do any UOA on this car while taking a break from BITOG and oil hoarding.
Got this car back in 2017 as a lease return with close to 40k miles on it. First oil change I stripped the drain bolt, that some gorilla must have tightened. (In reality weak spot on those and Cruzes with the same engine). It has Fumoto valve since then. Oil was changed every 1-2 years (2 years max per manual).
This sample has about 12k miles(forgot to write down, but have odo picture around that time showing 88k miles) on it and 15 months. OLM was showing 10% left.
This is what long OCIs do to you, you forget what and when you have done unless written down or pictures taken :)
High fuel could be explained by force starting the engine before draining oil for about 10 min to idle. Did not want to drain stone-cold oil(the engine did not start for couple of weeks prior too). Next time I can try not starting it before draining. High Moly is probably from LM MoS2, I have 1 more can staring at me from the shelf, that will go into Mitsu in my sig during next summer oil change.

The oil that was used is pictured here, long-life Euro oil (snagged on some good sale years ago). The filter used was Fram TG(sale, otherwise I would use XG/Ultra).
The same oil and filter went in, can of LM Ceratec was added.

IMG_0558.JPG

Q17956.jpg

Worth nothing that Fram does not list the TG3387A as a filter for the 2012-2015 Chevy Volt, only the XG3387A.

And Advance Auto does not list any Fram Titanium filter for the 2012-2015 Chevy Volt, even though the Fram Titanium is supposed to be the same as or better than the XG filters.

And pretty much every other filter company either lists a special filter for the 2012-2015 Chevy Volt or a long-life filter (like the Mobil 1 filter).

Worth nothing that Fram does not list the TG3387A as a filter for the 2012-2015 Chevy Volt, only the XG3387A.

And Advance Auto does not list any Fram Titanium filter for the 2012-2015 Chevy Volt, even though the Fram Titanium is supposed to be the same as or better than the XG filters.

And pretty much every other filter company either lists a special filter for the 2012-2015 Chevy Volt or a long-life filter (like the Mobil 1 filter).
But don’t we trust their marketing hype about TG able to handle 15k miles?! :) not worried about this, since engine maybe worked 50% or those miles at most.

Op, you didn’t get 2%+ fuel dilution at Blackstone and a sub-350* flashpoint from warming the engine before draining. That oil is barely as thick as a thin 20wt!
I suspect this is why GM recommends 5w-30 oil, since it eventually dilutes into 20. Outlander in my sig calls for 0w-20, but they also call for twice shorter oci of 7500miles (and 6 months vs 24). Newer hybrids call for 16 and maybe some already made one that call for 8 weight oils…

Last edited:
Is it even genuine Ravenol or >10 years sitting on your shelf?
643 ppm Boron just like 425 ppm Moly certainly isn't belong to any current Ravenol.

Is there a way for you to know how many miles the engine actually ran? Otherwise this is kind of a crap shoot looking at wear numbers. Not really a 12k oci on a PHEV.

Is it even genuine Ravenol or >10 years sitting on your shelf?
643 ppm Boron just like 425 ppm Moly certainly isn't belong to any current Ravenol.
Yeap, that is a 10y.o. oil, one canister had year washed off but starts from 1, another one has 10.5.2012 stamp

Is there a way for you to know how many miles the engine actually ran? Otherwise this is kind of a crap shoot looking at wear numbers. Not really a 12k oci on a PHEV.
I used to be able to see it, but lost access a couple of years ago to the app, and I'm not going to pay $ 15 per month just to see that and be able to start AC when remote does not reach. If it is even possible. Older Volts have old 3G tech and it is being phased out, if not already.

There was a good website collecting stats, the last time It was able to talk to my car was in 2020. 71% in EV mode at that time. Since then I switched back to fully working from home, so it is probably even more than 71% EV now. Heh, looks like my record up until that time was:
Miles Per Tank of Gas2477.44 Miles

Wow, that's an ancient Ravenol bottle, I've never even seen those before!

Lots of fuel (2% is wrong, it's probably like 7%+) for sure, otherwise, nothing unusual.

Back