2011 Accord LX-P

Status
Not open for further replies.
The new Toyota 2.5L I4 in the Camry is definitely miles ahead of the Honda 2.4s in the areas of NVH, refinement, smoothness and fuel economy. Unfortunately, the Accord is still the more practical choice due to the larger interior volume.

I have been looking at Hondacare plans for this Accord and they are surprisingly inexpensive compared to the ones for the Altima. Saccucci's Hondacare website is the only one that sells to CA residents and charges $1020 for an 8/120k policy with $0 deductible-- which is a darn good price. That's almost 1/3 cheaper than the one for the Nissan! Since my friend does not always have the most stable income and dislikes having to pay out-of-pocket for repairs, I think she might be a good candidate for an extended warranty.

If somebody buys a Honda/Toyota/Acura/Lexus, (s)he better not be expecting *any* out of pocket *repairs* for first 120K. If there happens to be a pattern failure (e.g. Honda transmissions etc), the manufacturer eventually provides the extended warranty once NHTSA pushes them enough.

Tell her to take that $1020 and put it in CD or safe deposit box And don't take it out until she gets zapped with multi thousand expense *within* the "theoretical" extended warranty period.

Don't use *your* inclination to fall for extended warranty on her.

Extended warranties are bad for consumers. The manufacturer's is "less bad" than the 3rd party which is useless.

- Vikas

I generally agree that extended warranties are not in the consumer's best interest, financially. We know this because they're offered in the first place. If the consumer always made money on the warranty, it either wouldn't be offered, or it'd be a higher price than it is. It's a losing battle going in.

That said, everything's negotiable. When I bought my 2007 Corolla from the dealer, it was a CPO car, but Toyota's CPO program brought the powertrain warranty out to 7 years or 100,000 miles; the rest of the car was still 3/36. They offered a "certified wrap" to bring the REST of the car out to 7/100 also, and it was something like 1200 bucks. I declined. He kept pursuing, and I talked him down to $550. I figured that for $550, it might have been worth the risk.

Of course, I never did use it, and I actually sold it back to Toyota when I traded the Corolla on my Camry, so I got some money back from it. But the point is, if they're offering it to you for $1,000, you know it only costs them $500 (or something substantially lower) to offer it. I've always heard that if you take a warranty or service plan price and half it, that's what you can figure spending on repairs. Because that's, on average, what it costs the manufacturer or retailer to administer the service. So anyway, talk them down. Tell them you'd give them $750 on it and see what they say. You might be able to talk them down much closer to what you can figure you'd spend anyway.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
If somebody buys a Honda/Toyota/Acura/Lexus, (s)he better not be expecting *any* out of pocket *repairs* for first 120K. If there happens to be a pattern failure (e.g. Honda transmissions etc), the manufacturer eventually provides the extended warranty once NHTSA pushes them enough.

Tell her to take that $1020 and put it in CD or safe deposit box And don't take it out until she gets zapped with multi thousand expense *within* the "theoretical" extended warranty period.

Don't use *your* inclination to fall for extended warranty on her.

Extended warranties are bad for consumers. The manufacturer's is "less bad" than the 3rd party which is useless.

- Vikas

Agree completely. My repair expenses on my 05 Civic to 120k miles were exactly $0. Out to 200k miles, approximately $150 for front brakes pads and rear drum adjustment. I doubt if either of those items would be covered anyway.

Last edited:
And if something does go wrong, the warranty guy will weasel out of fixing your vehicle. Some of the creative ways they will come up to deny you the warranty are priceless. I get a huge laugh when I hear about them :) Most warranties also have deductible.

But there are some folks who WILL buy $50 extended warranty on $200 gizmo and these are engineers!

- Vikas

At risk of sounding like a salesman for warranties...

- Vikas

Of course, extended warranties will be profitable to the issuer. Otherwise they would not be offered. However, if priced reasonably, they can be worthwhile to consumers who neither have the time or interest to shop around for repairs when they do experience issues. Also, many of us (yes, I am starting to become one of them due to the scarcity of time) are willing to pay a bit more for convenience. Most of these policies also include roadside assistance, which will save you from spending $90/yr on AAA. Since most people are going to spend 90/yr for AAA for 8 years, getting a policy priced at about $1000 that also covers the roadside assistance makes the real cost of the policy only a few hundred bucks. Lastly, it is important to understand that Honda usually does not pay for a rental for warranty repairs unless there is a Hondacare policy.

And if something does go wrong, the warranty guy will weasel out of fixing your vehicle. Some of the creative ways they will come up to deny you the warranty are priceless. I get a huge laugh when I hear about them :) Most warranties also have deductible.

But there are some folks who WILL buy $50 extended warranty on $200 gizmo and these are engineers!

- Vikas

You are forgetting that the authorization for manufactured-backed warranties is almost always done by the dealership. It is in their best interest to do the warranty work since they are being paid for it. If someone is taking a car in for a problem to be covered under an extended warranty, it isn't going to a minor squeak/trim problem (since those aren't covered), it is generally going to be a bigger issue such as a leak or an obvious failure of a component.

I do agree with you though that 3rd-party warranties have a tendency to have difficult authorization processes that can make claims difficult or near impossible. That is why I avoid most of those.

Originally Posted By: onebigunion
Agree completely. My repair expenses on my 05 Civic to 120k miles were exactly $0. Out to 200k miles, approximately $150 for front brakes pads and rear drum adjustment. I doubt if either of those items would be covered anyway.

I would not be so confident that all cars, even traditionally reliable ones, to be able to make it to 100k with no repairs. Though in the past, "simpler" cars (e.g. 4-cyl, few options) have a better chance. I was looking at a few late-model Hondas on a local dealer's website, which happens to list all reconditioning they do to their cars; a number of the higher mileage cars are requiring some smaller repairs such as A/C hoses, CV Boots and mounts well before the 100k mark. This seems to match what I am seeing on the various forums that I am on as well. These problems may seem minor to those of us who do our own repairs, but they can be costly to those who do not.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Of course, I never did use it, and I actually sold it back to Toyota when I traded the Corolla on my Camry, so I got some money back from it. But the point is, if they're offering it to you for $1,000, you know it only costs them $500 (or something substantially lower) to offer it. I've always heard that if you take a warranty or service plan price and half it, that's what you can figure spending on repairs. Because that's, on average, what it costs the manufacturer or retailer to administer the service. So anyway, talk them down. Tell them you'd give them $750 on it and see what they say. You might be able to talk them down much closer to what you can figure you'd spend anyway.

I understand where you are coming from. Usually the dealer will offer you the warranty at a high price and it would be a wise to negotiate with them to arrive at a lower price. The selling dealership was asking $1500 for the warranty, claiming that it was already their "sale price"
lol.gif
, but at the time I had neither the time or interest to negotiate with them. Saccucci Honda is one of those online Hondacare sellers that have been heavily discussed and recommended by numerous Honda forums for purchasing policies at highly discounted prices and their pricing for the policies are quite reasonable.

As I have said before, each case is different. If I had purchased a bare bones 4-cyl Accord, I would skip it. Then again, I have no problem with shopping around for someone to do an out-of-warranty repair job or doing it myself. But this person is not-- they are one of those who will be in a major bind if they even had to deal with a repair, let alone cough up the money for it suddenly. For this person, the small premium paid for convenience is probably worth it, especially if it costs just a few hundred bucks more than what they would otherwise already be paying for AAA. So again, it depends...

You really do sound like you are selling them! j/k

The only reason I would even consider an extended warranty is if it was some kind of new design or model with untested technology.

Almost every consumer advice source I've ever heard comment on this specifically said these were a BAD deal.

May be my outlook is skewed but I can not name even a single vehicle which I expect to have major unscheduled expenses (e.g. $2K) in the first 8yrs/100K miles. I will be generous and even throw Hyundai/Kia in the mix, Fiat/Yugo need not apply :)

Most have manufacturer's warranty for at least 36K to 50K or more. Most of the latent failures will be found before that. With minimal regular maintenance there is nothing which routinely goes wrong between 50K through 100K. Even the items which used to regularly fail, such as mufflers etc are now thing of the past. At 200K, you might have to replace wearable items such as alternator / starter / fuel pump / CV joints / ball joints etc.

The extended warranty is not going to give you new struts or shocks or brakes or catalytic converter or tires.

Besides, if you are type of the person who buys $1000 extended warranty for the peace of mind, you are the person who also go to the dealership for her regular $250, $500, $750, $1000 "services" because otherwise she thinks she will be denied the extended warranty claim if the time comes to cash on it.

People need to learn about self-insurance concept. All big corporations use it too.

- Vikas

Originally Posted By: The Critic
As I have said before, each case is different. If I had purchased a bare bones 4-cyl Accord, I would skip it. Then again, I have no problem with shopping around for someone to do an out-of-warranty repair job or doing it myself. But this person is not-- they are one of those who will be in a major bind if they even had to deal with a repair, let alone cough up the money for it suddenly. For this person, the small premium paid for convenience is probably worth it, especially if it costs just a few hundred bucks more than what they would otherwise already be paying for AAA. So again, it depends...

I certainly understand this. Sometimes, you spend more money financially, but the piece of mind and/or safety net is worth it, if you're in a particular situation. Sometimes, it's hard for us car guys, for whom a blower motor replacement or valve cover seal replacement is an enjoyable afternoon, to come out of that mindset that anything is self-repairable.

I'd still highly recommend they consider putting the warranty money into an interest-bearing savings account, and then go on a cruise when the warranty coverage is up and the policy wasn't used. That does require a bit of financial planning, and they may not be able or have the desire to do that.

The Malibu has a 5y/100k mile warranty and free 24hr nationwide roadside assistance for the first 3 years I think. That would've been something to consider.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
The Malibu has a 5y/100k mile warranty and free 24hr nationwide roadside assistance for the first 3 years I think. That would've been something to consider.

5/100 is powertrain only, sorta a marketing gimmick. Bumper to bumper is still 3/36 like most other non-luxury brands.

I wouldn't call it a gimmick as it cover the most major/expensive items with no deductible. Also for them to offer the warranty and be as price competitive as they are says something about the faith they have in their powertrains. The roadside assistant is actually 5y/100k miles and courtesy transportation for warranty repairs.

[ Most of these policies also include roadside assistance, which will save you from spending $90/yr on AAA. Since most people are going to spend 90/yr for AAA for 8 years, getting a policy priced at about $1000 that also covers the roadside assistance makes the real cost of the policy only a few hundred bucks. Lastly, it is important to understand that Honda usually does not pay for a rental for warranty repairs unless there is a Hondacare policy.]

I would sure hope that NOBODY is paying 90$ / per year to AAA for roadside assistance. There are so many ways to get roadside assistance coverage for very little, if any, money that it would make no sense to do that. Personally, I do have AAA ($43 per year), mainly for the discounts that a lot of places offer for AAA. It sounds hokey - but I save a couple hundred a year on hotel, restaurant, and other costs. The roadside assistance is almost an afterthought - I guess not so much the past year when I locked my keys in twice. Just for curiosity sake, does the Honda package cover stupid things like this or is it only for breakdowns?

At least in my area, the Honda dealer always provides a loaner for warranty repairs or recalls (even if you didn't buy the car there) or for any service work that takes longer than 4 hours. I realize lots of places don't though.

The main thing that I hate about these things is that so many things are considered "wear items". Like a clutch or brakes at 50k miles, belts, hoses - they'd never cover those, but they sure shouldn't wear out that fast. If the warranty was bumper to bumper including that stuff, I'd maybe consider it (probably still not), but with all the loopholes - no way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back