2010 Nissan Altima 2.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Spector
Using Amsoil 0W30 in sons 2.5 2006 Altima with 10000 mile OCI. This engine is easy on oil

Thats good to know!

Hello Critic, The cat is a problem and a recall that Nissan will not honor nor the intake screws in Canada.

There are a lot of engines piling up due to this intake screw issue world wide, many off warrantee and on warrantee, that does not make much difference anyway. My anger is the fact that in 2002 Nissan knew of the loose intake screws, in 2002 Nissan could have recalled those engines (in my research a home DIY can do the job in 3 hours, 1 hour in a full equipted garage and credible mechanic along with 8 dabs of locktite and one gasket can correct the problem).

Nissan even refused to address this issue at at extreme low cost and effort the factory in late/early 2002/2003 and for subsequent years and years in knowingling selling this flawed design of intake screw fastening. I am still asking anyone as to whether or not they know if Nissan actually resolved this now in 2010? I personally doubt it.

This is what angers me and has caused me to loose 3 decades of loyalty and future patronage in Nissan since new ownership by Renault.

On Topic:
My take on Nissans and the oil in 33 years, in my 05 Xtrail I have used nothing but 0-30 XD3 Group 1V POA (sister to GC). My X-trail called for SL and lower ratings conv oil. I took XD3 specs to my Nissan Service Manager and asked him if I could use this HDEO CI-4/SL, after seeing the specs he stated to effect that he could not imagine a better oil for my QR.

Now, if I had a 2010 QR calling for SM oil then I would go with the XD3 CJ-4/SM which would have slight bit less ZDDP for the cat but ample zinc content for a gasser, only about 200-300 more zddp than the old SL oils. Thing about these Nissans in my experience of 30 years is they like a heavy oil, so does the big timing steel timing chain which is rated for 200k miles. Also a good add packed syn oil helps deal with the counter balance in the QR, oil in these engines get a good workout, I change every 5k. I am working on my son to use CJ-4/SM XD3 in his new QR in his 2010 Rogue.

I do start up my QR in -45F with heat pad and block heater, (this is where -55F pour point syn oil comes in handy) they are a great winter vehicle with the right oil and methods. For all it is worth.

Cyprs

I have an '08 Altima 2.5SL that I have been doing 10K OCI on with no noticable oil consumption. I am using PP 5W-30 or M1 5W-30 depending on which is cheaper, and either an ST or Purolator filter.

I have not done any oil tests, but I am comfortable that there are no issues with doing the 10K OCI.

I drive about 95% highway miles and now have about 60K on the car. If you do a lot of city driving I would probably reduce the OCI down to 5-7K. (Since you are still under warranty...you should probably stick to the mfg recommended OCI in case you do end up having an issue)

The QR in my SpecV works very well on 5W-30 synthetic - earlier Kendall GT-1 Full Synthetic, now on a dealer fill of Mobil1. My manual recommends "mineral oil," but says nothing of using conventional oil only. If the car was off-warranty, I would use some sort of OW-30, either GC, PC or XD-3.

I've heard the stories of the loose intake butterfly screws and disintegrating pre-cats even before I bought the car new in 2006. Until now, mine has run flawlessly and economically. While I'll probably change brands once my lease is up, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. YMMV.

Gary

Yes, I have used 0-30 XD3 since 2005, had it okayed with my Nissan Dealership back then.

But, it still seems to me that there is no clear cut line drawn as to when or even IF Nissan fixed these problems of intake screws and cat converters to this date? I hear of new generations of this motor but are these problems fixed or does Nissan still continue this neglegence to this day 8 years later?

Cyprs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back