2010 Ford Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the subject suggests, I will be looking at a 2010 Explorer with about 157K on it. Very good condition, hwy miles, 4x4 with a 4.0L V-6.

I did an extensive search and was not able to find much info on defects or shortcomings of the truck other than something about the transmission. I am kind of thinking that at these miles, there either hasn't been an event to force a sale or the owner got it fixed under the 5yr/50,000 drivetrain warranty.

Can anyone with one of these offer any insight or suggestions? I am going to look at it again on Monday and possibly make an offer.

Thanks in advance, Dave.

I helped my son buy a 2010 Mountaineer last year. We had an expensive repair to replace the front hub bearings. Also keep a close eye on brake wear. By the time they made any telltale noise, the rotors were chewed up.

Also, you're probably aware but 2010 was the last year of body-on-frame (truck) construction, which we wanted. You may or may not prefer the unibody "crossover" type which began with MY 2011.

I also bought a 2007 Tahoe I found with only 55,000 miles. I prefer the Chevy.

i have an '06 4x2 v6 with 60k miles on it, and a '10 4x4 v6 with 93k. here's what i have found in terms of deficiencies.

leaking radiator- both
poor fitting front passenger door weather seal- noise
wheel bearings
transmission harsh downshift when slowing
rear diff leak- both
timing chain noise- TSB

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
Also keep a close eye on brake wear. By the time they made any telltale noise, the rotors were chewed up.

i find the rears wear more than the fronts, likely due to traction control.

Those miles bring the value down in your favor. If the price is right and the inspection looks good, go for it.

Since it brought up by Indydriver and pb, I also had both front hub assembly replaced in 2005 by Hiller Ford when I used to live in Hales Corners, WI. Been fine ever since.

I have an 04 with 157k. In the last year I replaced all the wheel bearings and the trans. Up until that point its only had routine maintenance. When I bought it with 13k it was rated very poorly for reliability but its been perfect. The trans shifting problems are caused by a rod that gouges the aluminium case, the fix it to sleeve that area with steel during the rebuild. Mine has the 4.6 not the 4.0. I'm trading it in for $3k next month when my wife's new car arrives, we both are a little sad to see it go but its time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RedOakRanch
I have an 04 with 157k. In the last year I replaced all the wheel bearings and the trans. Up until that point its only had routine maintenance. When I bought it with 13k it was rated very poorly for reliability but its been perfect. The trans shifting problems are caused by a rod that gouges the aluminium case, the fix it to sleeve that area with steel during the rebuild. Mine has the 4.6 not the 4.0. I'm trading it in for $3k next month when my wife's new car arrives, we both are a little sad to see it go but its time.
A transmission at 157k miles? That's sad.

I don't have any experience with these but have looked at used ones occasionally. There was a thread on this site recently about the ohc 4.0 and it's crazy front and rear timing chains. After a little research I've kind of taken the vehicle off of my list of cars to keep an eye out for.

also worth a look to make sure the coil springs are completely intact. had an '03 with both rears cracked. never noticed (ride/ noise/ etc) till inspected.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

Honestly... sounds like any car made in the last 10 years. It's become much more common to basically have replaced your car by 150k miles (if you keep it that long) than to be running mostly original parts

Originally Posted By: horse123

Honestly... sounds like any car made in the last 10 years. It's become much more common to basically have replaced your car by 150k miles (if you keep it that long) than to be running mostly original parts
My car has a trouble-prone DSG tranny and it hasn't died yet after 11 years and 175k miles of hard driving and lots of traffic. Also only had the fluid changed twice. It shifts weird but it still goes. I still think only 157k miles out of a transmission is bad.

My car has a trouble-prone DSG tranny and it hasn't died yet after 11 years and 175k miles of hard driving and lots of traffic. Also only had the fluid changed twice. It shifts weird but it still goes. I still think only 157k miles out of a transmission is bad.

180,000 miles on the Expedition's 4R100 and it shifts like new. That includes plenty of towing, a fair chunk of it approaching the capacity of the truck (8,800lbs).

Not sure what tranny the Explorer has but it appears to be a step down from the 4R75W and other quality RWD gearboxes Ford has used
21.gif

Modern transmissions just don't seem to be durable. My parents had a 2001 TL that was on it's third transmission when totaled at 109k, and an '04 Maxima that it's original transmission died at 75k. I've been lucky...knock on wood.

Transmission behind the 4.0 is a variant of the 5R55, used behind the 4.0 SOHC since 1997 or so, in several variations. Not the best transmission ever used by Ford. That was part of why when I bought our '07, I got the 4.6. The 4.6's of this generation got the 6R60/80, which is the current transmission found in F150's.

As far as weak points for this generation:
-Wheel Bearings: 80k is normal for replacements, anything more is a bonus. Done both drivers side bearings on my '07 with 105,000 miles. Will make a noticeble roar.
-Axle seals: Check all the axle seals, front and rear. Every one I looked at had either a seal leaking or had just replaced one. Front Driers on mine needed attention.
-Radiator: Prone to cracking. You'll find white deposits on two oval like things as seen from underneath (These are the actual mounting pegs for the unit), if not actual dripping. 80-100k is normal on these.
-Rear Wiper: Check to make sure it works.
-Third Row Seats: if motorized, make sure they still work. A gear tends to strip out of those, and the replacement is a full motor unit.
-Make sure you get the hitch you want. If it only has the 1 1/4 inch hitch, you can get a 2" hitch, but it will look goofy because it is added on underneath the small hitch that is welded into the frame.
-3.55 gears are normal, and the trailer tow package would get 3.73's behind the 4.0. (3.55's trailer tow or not on the V8 - the deep first gear in the 6R80 makes up for it).

We like ours, just need to pay attention to the normal stuff.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Is this also the generation where the plastic garnish on the lift gate is vertically cracked on just about every one of them out there?

4d8fe588-b810-102d-8f1f-678b82e8086b.jpg

No, that was the 3rd generation Explorer (2002-2005). 4th generation Explorers (2006-2010) had this liftgate:
2007-ford-explorer-2wd-4-door-v6-xlt-rear-exterior-view_100277407_m.jpg

OK, you guys talked me out of it.

I bought a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 55,000 miles. Looks like new, drives very nice and lots of bells and whistles. They extended the warranty because it was "certified" used car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back