2010 Buick LaCrosse - Penz Platinum 5w30 - 10,569m

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again why would anyone use an oil filter for more than the manufacturers warranty. P-1 is only warranted for 3000 miles. Lets spend the money for a high mileage filter. Each company spends considerable amount of time and money performing R&D on the filters. If the P-1 could last 10,000 miles it would be rated to that amount. He bought an expensive car and expensive oil and then takes a chance on a $5.00 filter to last 7,500-15,000 miles? A M-1 is 10 bucks and rated for 15,000 miles. Bosch,and Mobil 1 are over 99% efficient. I'm with you, change the filter! Filters are not that reliable and have had a few failures from them in my past. Try collecting on claim if we go past your warranty on the filter. The doubters will need a good lawyer and lots of money.

You need to go by the written warranty, not what some bone head person on the phone says. Those tech support people know nothing except how to answer a phone. The filter rated maximum is 3000 OR OEM intervals, which ever is LONGER.

What part of the following written warranty do you not understand?

Purolator PureONE oil filters should be replaced every 3,000 miles or 3 months depending on the driving conditions - or unless otherwise specified by the vehicle's manufacturer.

Purolator filters are warranted to be free from manufacturer's defects in material, workmanship or design in accordance with the terms and conditions described below.
Purolator filters meet or exceed OEM (original equipment manufacturers) requirements and are tested in accordance with the Society of Automotive Engineers' test procedures. -

New car warranties remain in effect when Purolator filters are used in accordance to the engine manufacturer's change intervals.

In the event of an engine failure directly caused by a defective Purolator filter, which was properly installed and changed following the engine manufacturer's recommended service intervals and was in accord with current Purolator catalog recommendations, Purolator warrants that it will pay for the repair or, if necessary, replacement of an engine or other parts damaged as a result of any defect in any of our filters.

Claims for engine repairs provided under this warranty must be submitted within 30 days after discovery of damage. Purolator Technical Services Department reserves the right to examine the engine and filter to determine the amount of damage and whether it was caused by a defective Purolator filter.

This warranty DOES NOT COVER any product that has been subjected to misuse, neglect, negligence or accident, or that has been improperly maintained, operated or installed. The warranty DOES NOT APPLY to any damage to the product that is the result of rust or corrosion.

Also extended interval oil filters are usually rated at a higher micron rating. For example:
Mobil 1 and Purolator synthetic are 99% at 25 microns
Fram ultra is 99% at 20 microns
P1 is 99.9% at 20 microns

If you want a "high mileage" oil filter, look at fram.

P1 micron size is variable for the 99.9% depending on filter number, but I think they sanitized(whitewashed) their records in the past year or two.

Originally Posted By: Coprolite
P1 micron size is variable for the 99.9% depending on filter number, but I think they sanitized(whitewashed) their records in the past year or two.

For spin-on filters, all the PureOnes are rated at 99.9% @ 20 microns except for the 4 smallest spin-ons, which are rated at 99.9% @ 40 microns. It's printed on the filter box.

Originally Posted By: Markzip
Again why would anyone use an oil filter for more than the manufacturers warranty. P-1 is only warranted for 3000 miles. Lets spend the money for a high mileage filter. Each company spends considerable amount of time and money performing R&D on the filters. If the P-1 could last 10,000 miles it would be rated to that amount. He bought an expensive car and expensive oil and then takes a chance on a $5.00 filter to last 7,500-15,000 miles? A M-1 is 10 bucks and rated for 15,000 miles. Bosch,and Mobil 1 are over 99% efficient. I'm with you, change the filter! Filters are not that reliable and have had a few failures from them in my past. Try collecting on claim if we go past your warranty on the filter. The doubters will need a good lawyer and lots of money.

I think the OP here is referring to the heated replies I did in the UOA Forum. Where he says "I'm with you, change the filter!" The OP in the UOA thread was stating how he was using the oil filter for more than (1) OCI. Seems I am not the only one that thinks like this. Interesting!
28.gif

I've always left my filters on for 2 oci or 10000kms and have yet to have any oil related issues or failures. Heck the filters become more efficient as they trap contaminants so as long as there isn't a media failure I'm trapping more and smaller particles as the I put miles on.
Just my experience with older used vehicles.

I mentioned that as I have previously, used one of the small ones but didn't know how many were rated at 40 microns. Thanks, Z06 for the back up.
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: Coprolite

For spin-on filters, all the PureOnes are rated at 99.9% @ 20 microns except for the 4 smallest spin-ons, which are rated at 99.9% @ 40 microns. It's printed on the filter box.

Blue, go back and read the OP on the UOA thread. Nowhere does it say that he used it for two OCI, only that he performed the last UOA halfway through this OCI. He was using the PureOne completely within the bounds of the OEM and PureOne warranties.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

I think the OP here is referring to the heated replies I did in the UOA Forum. Where he says "I'm with you, change the filter!" The OP in the UOA thread was stating how he was using the oil filter for more than (1) OCI. Seems I am not the only one that thinks like this. Interesting!
28.gif

Use the oil filter for the manufacturer specified OCI and you will be fine.

Motorcraft filters are rebadged Purolators, and even Ford recommends 7,500 and 10K OCIs on many new cars. I am very confident that a PureOne will last to 10K miles.

Ok so the filter is rated at 99.9% @ 20 microns. Wonderful! 1)What happens to a filter medium which is more efficient and is used longer for collecting impurities. Rhetorical question,it may clog sooner. 2) The person on the other end of the line was a Purolator company technical representative and stated the filter is rated for 3000 miles. That is what he does for a living unlike us who talk with limited knowledge. My opinion does not matter how long I think the filter lasts or how long I think I wish it would last. If the car manufacturer lets you run the oil and filter longer then you have justification for what you are saying. Do you have any evidence of Purolator paying or not paying a claim for an engine that had 10,000 miles or more on it without changing the filter. The point I made was switch your filter sooner and check results of FE. in the oil. I worked at Mobil oil through high school and changed a lot of oil and filters and have seen some strange scenarios. I also service large expensive diesel engine driven pumps and most including Amsoil filters have a limit for time, hours, and/or miles. Don't go over or the warranty is void with Clark, Detroits , or Cummins engines. Hire a good lawyer for $5.00 bucks and see how far you get.

Originally Posted By: Markzip
Do you have any evidence of Purolator paying or not paying a claim for an engine that had 10,000 miles or more on it without changing the filter.

Would you happen to have any evidence tucked in your pocket? I don't. Given the written evidence, I have no concerns running any purolator filter according to the filter change requirements in my owner's manual. If I am under warranty, I will let the dealer/manufacturer/Purolator figure it out. It no longer under warranty, I would expect Purolator to pony up.

If I felt the need to do an extended drain, I would pick a filter that explicitly warranties the length of OCI planned. My front runner right now would be Fram Ultra out of that category.

Purolator Pure 1 brochure:

Replace oil filters when you change your oil every 3 months or 3,000 miles, or as recommended by your vehicle manufacturer.

Purolator PureONE oil filters are engineered to trap up to 13 grams of contaminants based on ISO tests. (ISO 4548-12 at 20 microns on PL30001)

13 grams = 31 paper clips.

Honda recommends changing filter on second oil change, the OCI can be as much as 10k miles. So the P1 filter can lasted up to 20k miles.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Purolator Pure 1 brochure:

Replace oil filters when you change your oil every 3 months or 3,000 miles, or as recommended by your vehicle manufacturer.

Purolator PureONE oil filters are engineered to trap up to 13 grams of contaminants based on ISO tests. (ISO 4548-12 at 20 microns on PL30001)

13 grams = 31 paper clips.

Honda recommends changing filter on second oil change, the OCI can be as much as 10k miles. So the P1 filter can lasted up to 20k miles.

Would you feel safe running a P1 20K miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back