Fram seems to be in favor now

Probably easier to just leave that design feature in place when the media lost it's wire backing, but don't be surprised if some day the Ultra goes to fiber end caps. Only "grip" I have about Fram's fiber end caps is they could make them a bit thicker, but what they have seems to work for the intended use.

Yeah I don't really despise or hate them like some people but if Fram gave me the option of a fully covered end cap in fiber or metal.. I would just take the metal.. but otherwise if it is a fairly stout media, then I prefer a small glue disc in the center that is covering much less area like the old A01's, some current Full brand and a few others.

Why wouldn't a really really good filter be one of the more in favor filters?

OCoD was a loooonggg time ago.

They’re good filters that meet or exceed manufacturers specifications. Only downfall is the recent jump in price there’s alternative options that cost less.

Fram has been fairly consistent with its product for over a decade, sans the recent "cheapening" of the ultras. Cant say the same for Wix and others. I have no qualms buying a fram, but recently found that Supertech MPs (Champion XL) are a better value.

I think another reason they use the metal caps on other versions is for customer perception, not necessarily because it's better.
Agreed. People don't like the "cardboard" so they use metal endcaps in filters to be able to advertise (and charge for) metal.

Fiber end caps never bothered me. In fact I was used to fiber and plastic endcaps before ever cutting open my first filter can. My cars mostly had cartridge filtration so I just assumed that's what was inside the cans too.

I think Fram has really upped their game as of late, they didn't have anywhere else to go but up. I'm currently running the Ultra on my 04 GMC w/ 5.3 and went to Walmart today picked up an Endurance for that and another for my Civic. I don't know if I'd run their basic orange can but IMO anything Tough Guard and up are just fine.

I've just recently started using Fram, mostly been using Purolator Pure One and AC Delco filters.

Never worried about shavings but if its that big of a deal maybe just hit it with the shop Vac before mounting?

Fram are ok but you have to check for metal shavings, and if it has louvers you have to cross your fingers they are open enough or are most open at all?.. ... The Champ XL synthetic has far superior QC, metal end caps (compared to EG and TG) and wide open ecore, and you can get it at Walmart in a blue can labeled Supertech MP for around $6 , plus I have never seen a wavy or collapsed pleat on these anywhere.
When did Fram start using louvers?

A few models have been posted in the past, but I don't recal, l which ones. Photos were shown.
Hmm, missed that.
Have not been paying much attention lately to filters.
I have a stash of older Frams, some EcoGuard, NAPA Platinums and OE Hyundai cartridges that I have to go through before buying more (and truthfully was just planning on Supertech for my Hyundai/Kia and Scion/Toyota needs).
Only other filters I am limited with (few filter options for my BMW K1600 motorcycle, and I can find 4 packs of OEM cartridges from my Santa Fe off e-bay for less than any other (reputable) cartridge filter.

I remember those days when people at other forums would religiously warn about Fram orange cans, I sorta miss the boat about the Ultra when it had full synthetic media and metal screen backing. Sucks that I have to pay a bit more now to stock up on the newer Titanium and Endurance filters.

I use to use whatever I would get bundled in an oil deal at AutoZone which were mostly STP branded Premium Guard filters. I recently decided to step away from Toyota Denso filters due to discovering a defective batch on the newer YZZN1 filters from incomplete pleat gluing and cracked resin seals on the ends of the media.

I think it is a combination of both.

I used to buy into the "card board end caps" thing until I cut one open, and saw how difficult it was to separate the media from the fiber end caps, while other filters I cut open the metal end caps fell off as soon as I cut the filter.

OEM filters usually aren't anything special, with the exception of a few different brands. Mopar filters are not worth the premium. My local Jeep dealer wants $13 for what is a Purolator classic with a nitrile ADBV and Mopar paint.

There are better constructed filters than the Fram TG and extra guard, but for the money they are a great value for most OCIs.

There are better constructed filters than the Fram TG and extra guard, but for the money they are a great value for most OCIs.
That was my only gripe about Fram. When I came on the board, I did not use them because there were many other filters that were decent filters but were $1 or so cheaper on a regular basis.
The ironic thing is, Fram price has stayed almost the same for their orange can for decades (it was ~$3.50 in 2010 at Walmart) and only just recently did some of the orange cans start getting closer to $5.

I also think it's a combination of Fram stepping up their game in response to the ongoing bad press, while other oil filter brands suffer from a real or perceived cheapening of materials and/or design (e.g. Wix). Generally, I would not hesitate to use any recognized name-brand filter for the recommended mileage interval... although I do prefer some designs over others.
My standard practice it to inspect the base plate and threads on every oil filter I use, regardless of brand, and they all need some cleaning. I have never found one oil filter where I feel good just slapping it on without first cleaning up the base plate of paint over spray and the threads of contamination.
Very good... this is an excellent practice for installing any part, oil filter or other :) (y)

Dunno about that, Fram nerfing their Ultra line of filters to cellulose blend media with a synthetic layer coat doesn't leave good impressions to many . It just make them no longer special to other aftermarket offerings. Maybe they realized they over-engineered the Ultra and decided to bring it inline with the other competing filters at the same price range while introducing the new Endurance line of filters. Even the newer 2023 batches of Titanium filters is no longer wire backed which I wouldn't pay the asking price unless you can find older stock that has them.

I've yet to examine the XG3600 when its due for a change to see how the new media holds up but on a Yaris I expect it to be barely broken in if not at all when it reaches 5K miles, comparing it to the small N1 Thai Denso filter that was on my engine for 4500 miles that still look fairly clean when wicked dry.

I think the Fram Endurance is a very good filter, for 13 dollars is still a hard beat price compared to a Amsoil or TRD filter that usually cost around 20 dollars or more for the same filtering media. Having the option to oversize is a nice bonus and extra insurance, specially on a dirty engine.

That was my only gripe about Fram. When I came on the board, I did not use them because there were many other filters that were decent filters but were $1 or so cheaper on a regular basis.
The ironic thing is, Fram price has stayed almost the same for their orange can for decades (it was ~$3.50 in 2010 at Walmart) and only just recently did some of the orange cans start getting closer to $5.
I used to be a big Wix filter user, but their quality has suffered greatly since Mann/Hummel bought them. Fram has remained relatively consistent while the quality of other filters has dipped but their prices have gone way up. I'd take an orange can over a Purolator Classic, and the orange can is cheaper, less likely to tear, and rated for a longer oci. Not to mention the orange can has a silicone ADBV, and many of the Purolator Classics I see on the shelves still have nitrile, although many have switched to silicone it doesn't seem to be across the whole range.

Never had any issues with FRAM... Been using them since 1968...so there NEVER was an issue for me...

Back