Fram seems to be in favor now

I haven't paid much attention to filters for a while. Maybe because I have just been buying the OEM oil filters. I've noticed that now days Fram oil filters are many times suggested for use when someone askes about what oil and filter to use. A while back (10 or 15 years, I guess), Fram was the red headed step child around here. It was to be avoided. So has Fram's quality gotten that much better, or has the general quality of the other aftermarket filters gotten worse to the point that Fram looks good now? I just installed a Walmart Fram (whatever the middle tier of the lineup is) on my wife's Seltos. Supposedly good for 15,000 miles.

Fram filters are pretty much the best bang for your buck these days. The XG line recently lost the wire backing but still has about the best filtration available under $10. However, the tough guard is probably the best value, as noted by @Bellavita in his spreadsheet; it filters well, has silicone ADBV, and is very solid construction. The only other filters I still consider are Premium Guard/Ecogard, ACDelco/Supertech, or OEM if the net cost is significantly less than Fram.

Fram are ok but you have to check for metal shavings, and if it has louvers you have to cross your fingers they are open enough or are most open at all?.. ... The Champ XL synthetic has far superior QC, metal end caps (compared to EG and TG) and wide open ecore, and you can get it at Walmart in a blue can labeled Supertech MP for around $6 , plus I have never seen a wavy or collapsed pleat on these anywhere.

That Fram is now accepted here is a good verification that BITOG will be honest with our views and update same as needed.

I'm using Fram on stuff at the part-time job.

That's true for about any oil filter, and they all should be looked at for possible manufacturing defects before buying or installing.

Fwir.. metal shavings seem to be more prevalent on Fram.. but comparing Fram QC to Champ.. no contest . plus the other stuff I mentioned.

No not really.. metal shavings seem to be more prevalent on Fram.. but comparing Fram QC to Champ.. no contest . plus the other stuff I mentioned.
I've found contaminated threads and closed louvers, torn media, excessive sloppy glue jobs, etc on many other brand of oil filters too. Any brand of oil filter can have manufacturing QA issues, so people need to look before buying or installing. Ignoring that based on brand only will bite you at some point.

I've found contaminated threads and closed louvers, etc on many other brand of oil filters too. Any brand of oil filter can have manufacturing QA issues, so people need to look before buying or installing. Ignoring that based on brand only will bite you at some point.

I just haven't seen a thread dedicated to any one brand except Fram on metal shavings like this one for example: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/fram-filter-metal-flakes-from-forming-thread.359067/

I just haven't seen a thread dedicated to any one brand except Fram on metal shavings like this one for example: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/fram-filter-metal-flakes-from-forming-thread.359067/
Just because someone posted a thread doesn't mean every Fram has the issue, or that any other filters might not have the same issue. I've seen lots of issues with other brands of filters too. My standard practice it to inspect and base plate and threads on every oil filter I use, regardless of brand, and they all need some cleaning. I have never found one oil filter where I feel good just slapping it on without first cleaning up the base plate of paint over spray and the threads of contamination.

Just because someone posted a thread doesn't mean every Fram or any other filters might not have the same issue. I've seen lots of issues with other brands of filters too. My standard practice it to inspect and clean the threads on every oil filter I use, regardless of brand, and they all need some cleaning. I have never found one oil filter where I feel good just slapping it on without first cleaning up the base plate of paint overspray and the threads of contamination.

I would wager a large percentage of people don't really do anything to their filter , although I do exactly as you do.. But even so, if Fram put metal end caps and a little better QC, and for some the ecore.. that would be an upgrade , at minimum.. and you already get all that in the Champ product.

But even so, if Fram put metal end caps ...
Plenty of oil filters don't have metal end caps. No real proof that non-metal end caps are bad or inferior. It's just something people "perceive" to be "bad" with no real proof. Everyone has their "ideal" oil filter(s) ... so they buy those, which is all fine and dandy, but they also try to bash other filter designs not really based on any provable technical reasoning.

Plenty of oil filters don't have metal end caps. No real proof that non-metal end caps are bad or inferior. It's just something people "perceive" to be "bad" with no real proof.

Yeah I hear you but I think most people prefer them.. Why put them on Fram Ultra, Titanium or Endurance ??

Yeah I hear you but I think most people prefer them.. Why put them on Fram Ultra, Titanium or Endurance ??
That's been discussed many times. It was mainly because the metal end caps provide a better base in order to attach/glue the wire backed media to the end caps. Some of it may also have been because of the long OCI rating, but the Fram TG has fiber end caps and is rated for 15K miles.

That's been discussed many times. It was mainly because the metal end caps provide a better base in order to attach/glue the wire backed media to the end caps.

But they also put them on the non-wire backed Ultra which I would guess is for the flimsy material.

But they also put them on the non-wire backed Ultra which I would guess is for the flimsy material.
Probably easier to just leave that design feature in place when the media lost it's wire backing, but don't be surprised if some day the Ultra goes to fiber end caps. Only "grip" I have about Fram's fiber end caps is they could make them a bit thicker, but what they have seems to work for the intended use.

Back