2009 Maxima Sludged 3.5l

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: donz26
I had some old man cuss me out (in a rest area) for driving "J *p Cr*p".

I`d love to run into someone like that! Probably just some piece of common uneducated white trash. He`d definitely think twice before making a comment like that to someone again.

I probably would say something along the lines of "thanks for the tip. Have a great day." Then I'd walk away and wait for him to start something for real.

Small-minded people come in all flavors. My '66 Dodge has a "Built when cars were made to LAST" sticker in the back window. I don't take it particularly seriously- I got it with an order of parts from Kanter years ago and put it there just for grins. But then I had a guy get OUT of his car and come up to my window in the parking lot at my daughter's school a few years ago and start telling me how he had 180k miles on his Honda and that no old car could ever last like that, blah blah blah blah. I politely listened, and then said "keep taking care of that Accord the way you are. Then maybe in another 30 years and an additional 150,000 miles it can match what this car has done... so far."

Exactly. Just the other day I was driving my 1976 Chevette and some guy in an Accord comes up to me and tells me no American car from that era would ever last as long as his 200k mile Accord. Oh, wait, it did not actually happen that way as there are essentially zero Chevettes on the road from that era at this point.

The American car industry produced plenty of garbage from 1960 until, I don't know, today. While there are plenty of cool muscle cars around, and props to your collection, I am going to have to side with this "small-minded" fellow and suggest that he has called it correctly and on balance, a modern Accord has more ability to cover tha miles than Mopar stuff from the sixties. I don't mean to be harsh, but let's be realistic.

Originally Posted By: crinkles
i wonder if nissan dealerships use the ester oil? or cheapest bulk drum bidder?

We have Ester Oil in bottles and our bulk oil is a 5w30 semi-synth product (a valvoline no-name brand).

Originally Posted By: Johnny248
Originally Posted By: addyguy
Originally Posted By: Robenstein
That is terrible indeed. If the records are right there has to be some sort of issue with the motor like a totally worthless PCV.

That or this person just threw whatever oil in it like the Acell oil from WalMart or some other SA or SB rated bargain bin brand in the correct viscosity range for operating temperatures.

the records are bogus. The person just didn't change their oil. 21 yr old girl.

So is Nissan 'good willling' this to keep a customer; or telling them to pound sand?

No good will on that. Customer is on their own.

"Pound Sand"

Originally Posted By: SpAzZ

We have Ester Oil in bottles and our bulk oil is a 5w30 semi-synth product (a valvoline no-name brand).

Thought you guys used Cam II?

No good will on that. Customer is on their own.

What's the estimate for the reman engine? $7k?

What did the customer decided to do?

I checked and you are correct...our bulk oil is:

CAM2 Super Pro Plus Synthetic Blend 5W-30

Originally Posted By: SpAzZ

Thought you guys used Cam II?

Originally Posted By: TomYoung
Originally Posted By: Troy_Built
If the owner was to stupid to follow Nissan's instructions as to OCI's, nissan should tell them to pound sand.

Yes, the owner was "to stupid" whatever that means.

Maybe they were too stupid as well.

Originally Posted By: TomYoung

The American car industry produced plenty of garbage from 1960 until, I don't know, today. While there are plenty of cool muscle cars around, and props to your collection, I am going to have to side with this "small-minded" fellow and suggest that he has called it correctly and on balance, a modern Accord has more ability to cover tha miles than Mopar stuff from the sixties. I don't mean to be harsh, but let's be realistic.

Here's my take on the reality: ASSUMING that you can dump 300,000 miles onto a modern car (be it an Accord, Charger, Taurus, Sonata, or Camry) within 5 years or so then it can do it just fine. Most of the time.

What no modern car will ever do is last 40 years and still be able to be in daily use. The plastic interior and exterior parts just won't hold up the way metal, older vinyls, and glass did. The software and processors that run it won't be supported by then, and repairs will be impossible. Those are some of the reasons why I still have my 60s cars, but DON'T have the 80s and 90s cars that I once owned. I've seen them become un-maintainable while the old iron just kept going.

Even with those caveats, I'm not entirely certain that the Accord drivetrain really has what it takes to win the contest. 60's car drivetrains were essentially built like heavy truck drivetrains. Big under-stressed engines, big under-stressed transmissions, no CV joints anywhere, big solid rear axles. I've taken 3 of them to the high side of 300k, and one to almost 1/2 million miles without much grief. The farthest I've ever taken a front-drive driveline is 260,000, and while the engine was good as ever, the entire rest of the driveline and front suspension was getting decidedly tired. Could I have rebuilt it all? Probably, but with CV shafts and transaxles it gets expensive really fast. Even today, 60s cars are CHEAP to maintain and parts are much more available than you'd think. By contrast, it was getting hard to get certain parts for my '93 car when we sold it in 2008!

The great thing about modern cars is they'll go a lot further right off the dealer lot without any kind of maintenance than older cars, but when they start needing work they need a LOT and its very expensive. The great thing about older cars is you can maintain them indefinitely but the maintenance is more of a routine, ongoing thing. And of course they're less efficient.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

The great thing about modern cars is they'll go a lot further right off the dealer lot without any kind of maintenance than older cars, but when they start needing work they need a LOT and its very expensive. The great thing about older cars is you can maintain them indefinitely but the maintenance is more of a routine, ongoing thing. And of course they're less efficient.

Bad choice of words on my part. All cars need "maintenance." What modern cars do well is not require routine repair/replacement of minor components the way older cars did (and do).

I`d love to run into someone like that! Probably just some piece of common uneducated white trash. He`d definitely think twice before making a comment like that to someone again.
He could've just been a disgruntled ex-[censored] car owner. Who knows? Who cares?

I guess I have an exception to the story here - we got a sparkling clean VG30E with 240K on the clock. And it has seen all kinds of oil, but I pushed it real hard on Red Line with 7-9K OCIs with Wix filters.

And just when I thought my beloved Toyota was known to be hard on oil, putting even Detroit Diesel and Cummins engines to shame...

Last edited:
I have worked on Nissan's for 15 years and can tell you that car never had it's oil changed period. It was changed before it came in but never before. I have run as long as 10k of miles with a quality Synthetic like PP on my 07 NISMO 350Z and did a few track events with that oil. It came out dark, but ran fine and you look inside the cover it was clean.

Nissan's can run extended intervals without a issue. Just run the correct oil and don't run it for 20k.

I wonder if running Amsoil SSO would have made a difference. For some folks spending the $$ on it makes tons of sense. I guess this would fall into that category...

Originally Posted By: sciphi
I wonder if running Amsoil SSO would have made a difference. For some folks spending the $$ on it makes tons of sense. I guess this would fall into that category...

Johnny also showed me some pictures of an '09 Murano with only 15k that was completely sludged. I'll have to ask him for permission to post them on here, as you guys will certainly be interested in seeing them.

Originally Posted By: pavelow

He could've just been a disgruntled ex-[censored] car owner. Who knows? Who cares?

I'd like to meet a guy like that while I'm driving the Hyundai. You see it came from my mother and father in-law. They bought it new in 2001. He passed away a few years later and she gave it to us last year. What makes this relevant is he was in WW II and fought in Normandy. So if someone want's to make an argument over it, then I'll just say that if it's good enough for a WW II vet then it's good enough for me.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: sciphi

Johnny also showed me some pictures of an '09 Murano with only 15k that was completely sludged. I'll have to ask him for permission to post them on here, as you guys will certainly be interested in seeing them.

Yes, please do.

I'd love to see those if Johnny says we can!

Sounds like these engines are murder on oil, and SSO would last maybe 10k miles. The first part is very informed speculation, the second part is a WAG.

I'm curious what the customer decided to do with this car - might not have been too late - good clean up, and see how it goes......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back