Where is this leak coming from?

Owen Lucas

$100 Site Donor 2023
I have an odd dusting / accumulation of oil on my passenger side front CV axle.

2021 Honda Pilot 40k miles. 3.5L V6 J35Y6

Could this be engine oil or can the CV axle grease be leaking somehow?

I do not see any other evidence of oil leaks on the engine so I'm thinking of using UV dye and see if that lights up the axle boot after a few hundred miles. BTW, should I use a specific dye for Honda's 0w20? I have a feeling they are universal but just want to be sure for warranty purposes.

CV Boot Oil 1.jpg

CV Boot Oil 2.jpg

UV Dye.jpg

Reactions: hrv
Oil from the oil filter being removed getting on it and then dirt accumulating on what's left of the oil. Blast it off with a spray bottle filled with 70% alcohol that you get from the drugstore. That shouldn't harm the rubber but cut through the oil enough to help you be able to get it off. You'l probably have to take a rag to it that also has that alcohol on it.

It's a motor vehicle it's not a dinner plate. That amount of accumulation is nothing at all to worry about in the first place.

Looks like it could just be residual oil from oil changes since the oil filter is so close by. But since you are under warranty why not just take it in for them to fix?
I'm concerned they might charge me for a diagnostic plus I'm doing an oil change soon my self.

road dirt/mud/gunk accumulation.
Some "anti-corrosion" spray?
Oil from the oil filter being removed getting on it and then dirt accumulating on what's left of the oil. Blast it off with a spray bottle filled with 70% alcohol that you get from the drugstore. That shouldn't harm the rubber but cut through the oil enough to help you be able to get it off. You'l probably have to take a rag to it that also has that alcohol on it.

It's a motor vehicle it's not a dinner plate. That amount of accumulation is nothing at all to worry about in the first place.

I'll be changing the oil soon, make sure the boot is spotless, and monitor for any accumulation. Maybe no need to put dye in it just yet.

Back