Where is this oil leaking from?

2015 Ford Explorer P.I. with 3.7 V6. Oil leaking from the front of the engine but not the main seal. You can see oil just on the front 2 bolts but back from there everything is dry. Oil pan gasket RTV going bad?

IMG_8479.JPG

IMG_8481.JPG

not familiar with the P.I. but is that an actual portion of gasket jutting out above the two oiled bolt heads in image#1? or shadow from flash? fwiw.

No that's the block. Checked those bolts and they were quite loose. Tightened them and a few others that were loose to specs. Not leaking after a half hour.
You might have to drive it to see if it’s fixed. Thermal cycling will be the true test. You may get some residual oil for a while.

Just my $0.02

Those look like markings from the local auto recycler
I have seen some fleets mark mileage for when services were done like that.

Timing cover, valve cover, oil pan are all common leak points. Timing cover and oil pan seal with TA-357 silicone. If you are in there with teh timing cover off you might as well change the water pump and chain tensioner, maybe chains and guides too.

I think when a car comes in the yard gives it a number (210092 = 92nd car of 2021) then they mark that number on each part as they take them off, so they can look back at the list of cars and know what kind of car it was.

Back