CV Boots leaking, what course of action?

There is a leak in the CV Boots of my new to me 2007 Toyota Sequoia with 214,000 miles on it. It was mainly driven on the highway in Texas, if that makes any difference to the possibility of contamination of the axles.

I have already read on here about the idea that OEM axles and boots are superior and will be the only thing I use. But Redline CV grease looks appealing if buying separately.

I cannot see or feel any tears or cracks in the boots themselves. I do not hear any obvious signs of wear in the axles. When moving the axles by hand there is no obvious play.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What, if anything, should I do about this?

1. Leave it alone?

2. Buy some new hose clamps and just slip them on?

3. New hose clamps plus squirt in new grease? Should I try to clean out the old grease and pack in all new with the axles still on the car?

4. Replace the boots as they are about 15 years old with 214,000 miles on them? I have never done this before, but I have loosened the one of the axles so I know it isn't stuck to the hub.

Any advice and opinions are greatly appreciated, thank you!

IMG_2142.jpg

If there are no boot compromises, I would just tighten the band and motor on. If you don't have the tool, they are fairly inexpensive.
Looks like there is easy access as well.

There is a leak in the CV Boots of my new to me 2007 Toyota Sequoia with 214,000 miles on it. It was mainly driven on the highway in Texas, if that makes any difference to the possibility of contamination of the axles.

I have already read on here about the idea that OEM axles and boots are superior and will be the only thing I use. But Redline CV grease looks appealing if buying separately.

I cannot see or feel any tears or cracks in the boots themselves. I do not hear any obvious signs of wear in the axles. When moving the axles by hand there is no obvious play.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Leave it alone?

3. New hose clamps plus squirt in new grease? Should I try to clean out the old grease and pack in all new with the axles still on the car?

4. Replace the boots as they are about 15 years old with 214,000 miles on them? I have never done this before, but I have loosened the one of the axles so I know it isn't stuck to the hub.

View attachment 63913
I would reboot them, not a difficult job. Two of these sets with a couple of axle nuts and its good to go.

Doing it right is dissecting 214K mile shafts? He's never done it before. It's not a customers vehicle (in which case I would recommend boot replacement). Nothing wrong with tightening the clamp if the existing boot is fine and see if it stops seeping.
He would have to buy the tool anyway.

I would reboot them, not a difficult job. Two of these sets with a couple of axle nuts and its good to go.

I disagree with you on this one man. All said and done and he's looking at $130/$140 for new boots/nuts on both sides. He can get both complete shafts for $165 from 1A.

It depends on how much his time is worth to him.

I disagree with you on this one man. All said and done and he's looking at $130/$140 for new boots/nuts on both sides. He can get both complete shafts for $165 from 1A.

aftermarket axles have neoprene boots and often poor fitment. Torn boots are virtually the only cause of CV failure, so you definitely don't want something inferior like neoprene. OE boots are usually thermoplastic.

aftermarket axles have neoprene boots and often poor fitment.
No they don't. I owned a shop and had accounts with Advance, NAPA, and O'Reilly's. The only time we had fitment issues was when my guy ordered the wrong part. Most Indy shops use locally sourced components to operate their business.

Is it me or is that an odd place to fail? Loose band or is the joint getting hot and pushing the grease out there?

Why would you install cheap Chinese made trash instead of keeping the still salvageable much better OE with new OE boots? That is shoddy practice IMO.

If it was my vehicle and I was going to keep it for time measured in years, I'd reboot the axles you have. It's a crap shoot what you get with a parts store axle. You may get a great one that lasts for another 14 years, or you may get one that lasts for 14 weeks.

If the current axles are mechanically sound, repack with new grease and reboot with Toyota sourced boots et al.

1. Leave it alone?

View attachment 63913
I'd replace them, they are consumable alas! If you don't you'll have much more expensive repairs and even if you sell the truck it won't pass PPI and you'll have to reduce the price and the buyer will take into account the possibility of having UJ compromised and offer a lot less.

Thank you to everyone who commented.

I thought that there would be something more obviously wrong with the boots, and was unsure what to do.

I now see that the boots are not as defect free as I had first thought, as Audiman pointed out.

I think that replacing the boots with new OEM boots should last a long time.

This is an intimidating job as I have never done anything like this before. But I will give it a shot.

Thank you to everyone who commented.

I thought that there would be something more obviously wrong with the boots, and was unsure what to do.

I now see that the boots are not as defect free as I had first thought, as Audiman pointed out.

I think that replacing the boots with new OEM boots should last a long time.

This is an intimidating job as I have never done anything like this before. But I will give it a shot.
I don’t think it is too bad. Just really messy!

I would reboot OEM axles every time.

The junk that he would get for $165 will last months, perhaps a year or two before they fail, and vibrate under load. A complete waste of money.

I would go the extra mile and do a complete job.

This is a Sequoia, renowned for mega durability.

Clean out the grease.
Put in the Red Line.
Install an OEM boot.
Done.

I have the Toyota CV Boot kit (I forgot the part number buts its all OEM stuff).

It comes with grease in the kit from Toyota.

Do you think that the grease from Toyota is Ok, or should I try to get the Redline CV-2?

For sure it is okay, OE boots come with spec grease that has proven to last 14 years in the originals. I would have no problems using it, Redline CV is good stuff and if using aftermarket boots where the grease may or not be OE spec then sure use it.

Edit: These tools with help you get the axle out and crimp the new clamp.

Back