2008 Toyota Highlander Rear Struts.

Sorry for the delayed responses on my part, work and life got me tied up. I had a chance to crawl underneath the car and look around, tug on stuff, etc. there is zero play in the sway bar, it’s bushings and the links. They look to be in surprisingly good condition. I went back and looked thru all the receipts I had from the previous owner who took it to the dealer for EVERYTHING and these have never been replaced. I’ll call the dealer to see in case I’m just missing a receipt. Aside from taking it to the mechanic to see if the can diagnose the issue, I’m not sure what else I can do on my end. If it is the struts, it’s very expensive to have it done by a mechanic so I’ll just have to do it myself. If I use the coil/strut combo parts, it looks doable. Thank you very much for everyone’s help and suggestions.

Sorry for the delayed responses on my part, work and life got me tied up. I had a chance to crawl underneath the car and look around, tug on stuff, etc. there is zero play in the sway bar, it’s bushings and the links. They look to be in surprisingly good condition. I went back and looked thru all the receipts I had from the previous owner who took it to the dealer for EVERYTHING and these have never been replaced. I’ll call the dealer to see in case I’m just missing a receipt. Aside from taking it to the mechanic to see if the can diagnose the issue, I’m not sure what else I can do on my end. If it is the struts, it’s very expensive to have it done by a mechanic so I’ll just have to do it myself. If I use the coil/strut combo parts, it looks doable. Thank you very much for everyone’s help and suggestions.
Have someone rock it side to side by holding an open door or roof rail or something. You may be able to feel slop or play or see excessive movement in a link or bushing if you lay under there while they’re doing that.

I replaced my rears a log time with KYB and it lasted less than 15K miles - replaced with originals and it’s been fine 80K miles. Now there are a lot of bushings that could be worn out as well check them - my rear is not pretty as well but I am not inclined to fix anything on my Highlander especially from a ride standpoint

Back