2008 Accord Pricing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dealer in SF, CA quoted me $800 over MSRP for a 08 Accord EX 4-yl!

On the other hand, a ealer in Southern California quoted me $900 over invoice on a 08 Accord EX V6.

Does anyone know when prices on new models drop to invoice, or within $500?

Thanks.

Pretty much as soon as you offer it. Seriously, when I sold cars the only time we stuck to our guns was when it was a hard to get car. So maybe like after a month after they come out. Even then, I had someone offer me 1% over invoice two weeks after we started getting the new G35x's (which were selling hot and we didn't have a lot) and my manager took it. Just make the offer firm and so long as they have one on the lot, they will take it.

ref

Quote:

There really isn't a specific time. Some dealers you really have to push to get that. If the demand is strong, and customers are buying, might be hard to get that close to invoice. They know it's a Honda and when you leave, someone will walk in and want one as well.
cheers.gif

When is Honda ever going to produce a V6 with a decent amount of torque? That is what I'd like to know.

When is Honda ever going to produce a V6 with a decent amount of torque? That is what I'd like to know.

When you see the devil ice skating, as he watches the pigs flying by.
Or, when you see Honda's all new 90 degree pushrod 3.8 liter v-6.

Has Honda fixed their A/T gremlins on the 08' Accord?
also
I wouldn't give any dealer a dime over MSRP for any car.

Quote:

Dealer in SF, CA quoted me $800 over MSRP for a 08 Accord EX 4-yl!

On the other hand, a ealer in Southern California quoted me $900 over invoice on a 08 Accord EX V6.

Thanks.

When demand or perceived demand by dealer falls short of suppply. I have a feeling an offer around or after Dec 25 you may find you'll pay what you want.

I have to say the back at least of the 2008 Accord in black looks nice for a appliance type family car. Its not a car anyone will buy for looks but definitely is much pleasant to look at vs previous generations.

Black looks great in the older model too. Inventory is high on 07 and 08s. Check in at driveaccord.net for info.

I've read that Nov and Dec are good months to bargain on new cars.
People that 'have to' have a new car have bought theirs, and most other folks are thinking 'CHRISTMAS IS COMING' and not thinking about cars.
It's an old chestnut that late in the month(20th on) is also the best time of the month. Maybe true, maybe not.
If your not in a real big hurry, bid your time and check back with those dealers. You can also check prices and get quotes from:
http://www.edmunds.com/

I wouldn't pay anything over msrp. heck, I have been buying at invoice with GM card rebate on top of that.
grin.gif

I love overpriced, tacky dealer add ons on a 25k car. At least GM has forced dealers to stop undercoating.

Quote:

I love overpriced, tacky dealer add ons on a 25k car. At least GM has forced dealers to stop undercoating.

Yeah, none seem worse than what is put on at the honda and toyota dealers, from what Ive seen... Those super-high pressure, have to sell dealerships just annoy me. Yet another reason I wont buy their product.

$300 over invoice is the most Ill ever pay for a vehicle. There is always going to be a better one out there, a newer one, a prettier one. An appliance accord is not a special car. The only one Id ever consider paying a premium for (i.e. more than $300 over invoice) is if they came out with a diesel/MT version...

JMH

I don't pay over MSRP for anything ... but then I'm a patient consumer that doesn't need the latest and greatest right away.

But, if you want to be the first to have something when it's brand-spanking-new, be prepared to pay top dollar ... and that includes $ over MSRP for cars. This has happened to Honda before ... and Mazda when the Miata was brand new ... and plenty of other automotive examples, I'm sure.

Still, the Accord is too large for me (it's now classified as a full-size sedan) and fully loaded with all the options I don't want, it exceeds $30,000.
shocked.gif

I sat in one this past week and it's nice (what Honda isn't?) but I'm happier in a Civic.
grin.gif

I agree with you completely on the dealer experience.
I have to disagree with you WRT the car. The Accord, like any other Honda, is a very special car. There is no other car that I know of that will give you 150K+ with no more than very inexpensive maintenance. In the the last couple of generations, even T-belt replacement has been made unecessary with the chain.
IMHO, current Hondas are what Mercedes used to be. Great bread and butter cars that will last far longer than their owners are likely to want to drive them. I've owned a decent number of both. I'd buy a new Accord. I wouldn't seriously consider any of the current lower end Mercedes offerings. Even the delightfully retro, and strongly traditional hood star, a tie to the very first (1901) Mercedes, is gone.

Gedcruise: If you do a google search you will find that many late model Hondas (and Acuras) are plagued with inferior Automatic transmissions. Honda has replaced thousands under warranty. Many Honda owners are changing ATF every 10K to try and make them last (it doesn't always).

If I were in the market for a new car I'd consider the new Malibu or Saturn Aura.

never buy a first year model let alone pay msrp for it. Let some other guinea pig work out the first year gremlins that affect most first year productions. To answer your question, the prices usually drop after 8 months or so when they are forced to clean house for the 2nd years to populate their parking lots.

Since we avoid automatics, I guess we don't quite understand all the fuss. Hondas are at their best with a stick, in any event. For those who can't drive one, oh well.

Quote:

There is no other car that I know of that will give you 150K+ with no more than very inexpensive maintenance.

Comon man. Hondas are the ONLY vehicles that will pull this off???

I know you love your Hondas but there are lots of Toyotas and Buicks that can also get 150K with minimal maintenance hassles. In fact, if you want to talk the last couple generations, reliability has improved so much across the board that most cars will now outlast the owners' willingness to keep them.

Hondas ARE great cars, but let's not get carried away.

I agree with VeeDubb. Quality is good across the board. I've had great success with Toyota. 87 Corolla that had 300k on it and a 2001 with 180k on it. 2001 Ran like new when I sold it. I think many cars today will go 150k miles and hot have much maintenance issues. 5-10 years ago, I would have still given the edge to Japan, but not anymore.

Quote:

There is no other car that I know of that will give you 150K+ with no more than very inexpensive maintenance. In the the last couple of generations, even T-belt replacement has been made unecessary with the chain.

Last couple of generations
dunno.gif
The civic 4 cylinders changed from the dinosaur belt to a chain in 2006 and the V6s in the Accord and minivans were still a rubber belt as of 2007. For 2008 I haven't seen if there was anything done to the V6.

People here have been quoted over $1,000 for the V6 timing belt/water pump change and I've seen a question in the auto section of the Chicago Tribune if someone should do the belt change on their civic because they wondered if the Honda dealer quote of $930 for the service was necessary. The answer was it's better to get it changed than risk a possible busted engine. And sure it can be done for less than that but most reputable independents have high hourly rates that aren't a whole lot less than dealerships.

Anyway, when it comes to the rediculous costs of what is essentially mandatory maintenance for Hondas, it looks like you're trying to be a spokes person that's glossing over the real facts.

Well, I'm not actually a spokesman. We have, however, had six of the beasts, and they have been by far the most satisfactory cars we have ever owned.
We have had, aside from the Hondas, three GM cars, one Ford, one Toyota, four Benzes and a BMW. If I had to choose one car as a daily driver, also reliable enough that you can take it on long trips with no anxiety, it would be a Honda. It's not that nobody else offers a good product, rather it is based upon my experience.
Perhaps Lonnie, who has access to a huge fleet system, can shed some light on the reliability of Honda's products vs other makers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back