2006 K6 Suzuki GSX-R 600cc Oil Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have read.. and read... and read some more. I mean, I've heard every oil used in people's bikes now.

I'm just going to go ahead and say, I don't want to run Rotella in my bike. I ran it in my Honda Shadow 750 and after a few months of riding, it started smoking. To be fair, I will say it was the 15W-40 and not the T6 5W-40, but still... I love it in my truck, in any car... but that turned me away from it for motorcycles. And for all I know, it may actually be the best fit for my bike.

But, my riding style is... not wide open all the time, but I want something to withstand a little beating here and there. 16K RPM redline, and it does go there any day I ride it at least a few times. I don't get out and go for high speed, but I like to feel the power now and then.

I'm sure I don't need some kind of FULL OUT racing out, because I don't track the bike and I don't drive it on the streets like I'm at the track, but I'd rather have more than less protection.

What do you guys recommend for this bike in east Tennessee weather for this summer 90-100+ Fahrenheit highs at times. When I ride, I ride a lot. Actually, it's about all I will be riding once it gets warm enough. I get a lot better MPG than in my 86 F150 5.0 EFI that gets 14mpg... 16mpg on the best of circumstances. I'll take my 35-40mph bike instead.

I'd "like" something I can go into a store and get.
How do you guys feel about Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40? Viscosity specs and more are here: http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil1_Racing_4T_10W-40.aspx#

I'm open to all suggestions. Also, if anyone happens to know, what filter would you say I should run on it? Anyone have anything I can cross reference for the original? Or maybe I should stick with a stock Suzuki filter. Thanks guys, I'm just super hyped because it's about that time to be able to ride any day (warm weather) and I want something really tough for my bike that maybe "could" stand up to some short track riding.. something robust, stout, reliable.

Thanks for the links. I ended up ordering a K&N 138 oil filter and 4 quarts (I should only need 2.8 quarts) of Mobil 1 4T 10W-40 last night. Also ordered a new rear tire, a Michelin Pilot Power 3. I have a Michelin Pilot Power on the front that looks great, I just got too happy with a power brake one day and squared my rear tire then the wires started showing. I am pretty hyped for this warm weather to hurry and come in lol.

Last edited:
We raced / tracked 3 of that gen Suzuki, 2, 08 600's and one 08 750.

Most of the time we used Amsoil 20W-50 and OEM filter.

On the 750 we also ran maxima ultra and K&N filters.

After 3 years of track use and a few engine overheats we pulled the top ends for inspection and valve adjustment all 3 bikes looked incredible and were super clean and showed almost no signs of wear.

Since it worked so well we used the same combination on our 09 gsx-r1000 and 2012 1000 track bikes.

The reason we went this route over Rotella was shifting quality, though I am sure Rotella would prove the same protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back