Cleaning the rear wheel

This weekend I was getting the bikes ready for riding season and discovered that Marvel Mystery Oil works really well for cleaning the chain lube that gets thrown into the rear wheel.

I always used to use brake clean but it flashes off too quickly and takes paint off certain places. I dare say, MMO works better. I’m sure others have their favorite techniques but a rag soaked in MMO is my new go-to.

Using SAE 90 oil to lube your chain results in phenomenal economy on lubricant , the best chain life , minimum drag and a perfectly clean rim just wiping with a cloth or paper. I am done with aerosols for all the above reasons many years ago and never looked back.

Using SAE 90 oil to lube your chain results in phenomenal economy on lubricant , the best chain life , minimum drag and a perfectly clean rim just wiping with a cloth or paper. I am done with aerosols for all the above reasons many years ago and never looked back.
Do you use GL-4? GL-5 seems stinky at best and risky at worse.

Edit: I have some of this Red Line MT-LV laying around. Suitable?

Last edited:
Both of my BMW's have chains.
Did not know they made some with chains. In the 70s all had shaft drive....I know that they started using them back in 1923...Way ahead of everybody else...

Last edited:
Many current BMW's have chain drive. S1000XR, F800GS, many others in those same series of bikes, etc.

How long ago did you have that BMW, lol?

I apply a little gasoline to a soft rag and degrease chain and magnesium wheels...
I finish with Meguiars polish and buff to a nice luster...
Lube chain with Motul Chain Paste...

MotulChainPaste4.JPG

MarchesiniMagnesiumRim.JPG

MotulChainPaste1.JPG

Last edited:
Motul chain paste is good stuff.

BLS, what's the life expectancy of your magnesium wheels? Is the talk that magnesium wheels have a life expectancy, like tires have a realistic life expectancy, legit?

Last edited:
Many current BMW's have chain drive. S1000XR, F800GS, many others in those same series of bikes, etc.

How long ago did you have that BMW, lol?
All of the touring have shaft drive...

Same. Done with gummy, waxy aerosols. A thin amount of gear oil in the end is a lot less clean-up, and it doesn't pack into the front sprocket area

GL-4, GL-5, and that MT-LV will work. Yes, GL-5 is stinky, but not risky.

Any oil is fine. I have used SAE 90 and 140 gear oil, even used engine oil and the results are equally the same for over 100.000kms combined in 3 motorcycle. Never had a chain fail since today. Probably the thickest oil last longer but used engine oil is basically a zero cost solution.
Also, the time wasted is vastly minimized as there is no need to clean anything except the rim now and then literally in seconds with anything but wiping.

No, not all the BMW "touring" bikes have shaft drive. BMW has many two cylinder and in-line four cylinder models that are chain drive that are considered touring bikes. By saying you had a BMW "so no issue with a chain", that implies BMWs don't have chains, and I wasn't the only one that read it that way.

Reactions: hrv
BLS, what's the life expectancy of your magnesium wheels? Is the talk that magnesium wheels have a life expectancy, like tires have a realistic life expectancy, legit?

Bonz...
I've been running Dymags and Marchesini magnesium wheels on the street since 1982... that's 40 years of
worth of success with no problems noted... and I don't ride in moderation either...

1981 GPz550 and my 3 spoke Dymags bought from Harris brothers in person at their
Performance on shop in England thanks to the USAF...

265314032_ed2c82b432.jpg

1984 VF500F Interceptor that I modified into the famous Belt-0-Ceptor... I racked up
98,000 trouble free miles running the same Dymag magnesium wheels...

BeltCloseUp_zpss6gg3lyc.jpg

gallery_3131_51_14630.jpg

1998 RC45's 3 spoke Marchesini magnesium wheels... the rear is
from Freddie Spencer's RC30 and the front was owned by Wayne Rainey
when he sponsored Jimmy Felice YZ250R...

315048023_c2710a3b99_o.jpg

3193188896_9d34585b46_o.jpg

Thanks BLS, always wondered/felt the "warning" about using magnesium wheels that are older was not so much of an issue.

Zee, I have been using kerosene for years as well. Wipe with a damp rag and don't soak the chain. Moderation on things seems to work out well.

Back