2024 KTM 790 ADV - first ride

I believe the US version of the transalp is de-tuned. It makes 90HP in the rest of the world. Here in the USA it makes 83HP.

For me it was KTM > Suzuki > Honda > Tenere.

The Suzuki doesn’t really feel 507lbs heavy when riding it, But it definitely doesn’t have as balanced of a feel as the KTM.

I admittedly didn’t ride a transalp, but I didn’t like the low hanging sump, the tubed tires, and the lackluster electronics package. I really feel like Honda needs to add cruise, and some sort of belly protection as standard. They then should increase the price to match the others IMO. I suppose one could spend a grand on it a get all that aftermarket, but seems they could include most of it as standard.

For me I keep my bikes stock and ride so I don’t want to spend a bunch on them to customize. I may add heated grips to the KTM in the future as it can be controlled via the existing TFT which is nice.

I don’t think the KTM is 100% perfect or ideal, but it offers a heck of a good package for under $11k. I paid right at 10k plus $700 for a tech pack and I felt like it was a lot of bike for the money.
Ive yet to see the perfect motorcycle (which is why you need a bunch right! ) but I think today the KTM is the one to beat.

I havent seen much about the new BMW with the non german mill.

Ive yet to see the perfect motorcycle (which is why you need a bunch right! ) but I think today the KTM is the one to beat.

I havent seen much about the new BMW with the non german mill.

I looked at an F800GS. Sweet bike, but for $14k with similar options I couldn’t justify it.

What oil are you using in KTMs? Im not convinced Motorex 10w50 is worth $23 a QT…

I looked at an F800GS. Sweet bike, but for $14k with similar options I couldn’t justify it.

What oil are you using in KTMs? Im not convinced Motorex 10w50 is worth $23 a QT…

I dont have a KTM at the moment.

My motorcycle type devices currently are-

A Suzuki 1200 I run motul, AMSOIL, or Redline in.
Yamaha 700 quad, a Kaw 450 quad both use Yamalube.
A highly modded polaris RZR 1000 with an aftermarket turbo I run off the shelf mobil 1 in.
The quads and RZR are set up for sand duning.

I need another street bike so when friends visit I can host a ride. Well....thats the story I tell my wife.

Last edited:
I'm still looking at Dual-sport and lighter ADV bikes, as I want to explore more dirt roads and trails. I can't decide what to go with.
If price is no object ($13K +), this is big displacement, light weight and good suspension. Fuel capacity is only ~ 2 gallons. Since the bike is relatively light, don't know why Husqvarna didn't put a cherry on top and go with at least a 3 gallon tank.

If price is no object ($13K +), this is big displacement, light weight and good suspension. Fuel capacity is only ~ 2 gallons. Since the bike is relatively light, don't know why Husqvarna didn't put a cherry on top and go with at least a 3 gallon tank.

If I were 80/20 dirt, this would be awesome, but Im closer to 80/20 road.

The small tank is an issue for the riding I'd like to do. I wonder if there are any aftermarket larger capacity tanks available?

The small tank is an issue for the riding I'd like to do. I wonder if there are any aftermarket larger capacity tanks available?
There are larger tanks out there for the 2020-2023 FE, so there'll be some for the 2024 I'm sure.

Yes, The honda dealer had one on the lot when I brought my suzuki in for service.
I gave it a casual round the block, and though it seemed like a really nice bike with upper middle end componentry.

I dint experience the top end " clipping" thats described on fort nine, Not sure if thats the euro or us version - but it seems to be a thing.

Dont like the tube tires, or the big sump bulge,
I also dont like that cruise is eliminated from a package that has all the hardware needed.

I also dont like KTM charging me extra for code, but good on them for at least allowing it.

I would really like the Honda, but Im pretty sure Id LOVE the KTM. For me it goes.

in the 700-800 class for me its KTM> Honda> Suzuki> Tenere

I cat get local service on a APrilia, ducati, or trumpet, but probably wouldnt get one if I could, but I know they are great machines.

View attachment 219840
For sure. The low sump and the lack of cruise certainly is a low spot. People have been cracking the CB500 pans for years and It would be nice if Honda would be better about at least including a stirdy skid plate.

Back