2006 Audi A8 4.2 0W40 OR 5W40 OIL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by andreigbs
Also, "meets or exceeds" does not equal "approved for use in..."

Just a thought, if that matters.

Thanks to the goofy way Castrol lists their approvals. It appears on the VW approved oil list from erWin, why it doesn't appear on the publicly available Audi list I will never understand.

Castrol is about the only company I know that obfuscates actual held approvals rather than the other way around.

Originally Posted by boostedtsiawd
Originally Posted by edyvw
I hope 5w40 gonna be ok i was told to change the oil every 10k miles and i know i wont put 10k miles until probably the middle of summer or end of it so that is why i rather have 5w40 because 5w is good in warmer weather.

5W is not better in warmer weather. That does not have anything to do with warmer weather.
In practical application, 5W40 is product step below 0W40. 0W40 carries MB229.5 approval and 5W40 does not (yet at least). MB229.5 is more stringent approval than VW 502.00 that you car calls for.
xW or XXW are designations that determine cold performance. They do not indicate under any circumstances performance in warm weather.
Actually, premier Castrol product is Edge 0W30, which is suitable for your car but it is $62 for 6qt on Amazon.

MEETS OR EXCEEDS INDUSTRY STANDARDS:

API CF / SN
ACEA A3/B4
BMW Longlife-01
MB-Approval 229.3
Porsche A40
VW 502 00 / 505 00

I know very well what is says on Castrol 5W40 and Castrol 0W40.
Difference is, 0W40 is approved for MB229.5, 5W40 is not.

Use what you got then buy Castrol 0w-40 Euro thereafter, heck stock up on it. For filters, if you can get the OEM ones on Amazon for cheaper, then go for it. Might save you a couple of bucks there.

I hope 5w40 gonna be ok i was told to change the oil every 10k miles and i know i wont put 10k miles until probably the middle of summer or end of it so that is why i rather have 5w40 because 5w is good in warmer weather.

5W is not better in warmer weather. That does not have anything to do with warmer weather.
In practical application, 5W40 is product step below 0W40. 0W40 carries MB229.5 approval and 5W40 does not (yet at least). MB229.5 is more stringent approval than VW 502.00 that you car calls for.
xW or XXW are designations that determine cold performance. They do not indicate under any circumstances performance in warm weather.
Actually, premier Castrol product is Edge 0W30, which is suitable for your car but it is $62 for 6qt on Amazon.

MEETS OR EXCEEDS INDUSTRY STANDARDS:

API CF / SN
ACEA A3/B4
BMW Longlife-01
MB-Approval 229.3
Porsche A40
VW 502 00 / 505 00

I know very well what is says on Castrol 5W40 and Castrol 0W40.
Difference is, 0W40 is approved for MB229.5, 5W40 is not.

what does MercebdesBenz have to do with AUDI? lol 5w40 castrol edge fully synthetic is approved for VW 502 00 / 505 00 which is for my car.

what does MercebdesBenz have to do with AUDI? lol 5w40 castrol edge fully synthetic is approved for VW 502 00 / 505 00 which is for my car.

Mercedes MB229.5 certification is more stringent than VW 502. That's the only point the user was making. Basically the Mercedes cert calls for higher quality and tougher testing than VW 502. So you're getting oil that meets and exceeds VW 502, and not just getting oil that is just good enough to get the VW 502 cert.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back