2005 Pontiac Vibe, 120k, $3600

that cel will probably be an o2 sensor issue p0136 voltage issue...not a biggie...sounds a little on the rough side (car cond) and awd is a pass..
How difficult is it to just crawl up under there and disconnect the rear drive components?

Same in NY/NJ
Many a serviceable vehicle was disposed of due to an incompetent mechanic unable to fix a P0420/P0440
Check engine light on is a fail 😔
Sounds a lot like CA as well - minus the check for approved/OEM emissions parts.

I’d pass too - unless they’re willing to let the car go for less than $2700. I haven’t heard too many things about Toyota’s AWD system, more than likely it shares RAV4 parts.

Sounds a lot like CA as well - minus the check for approved/OEM emissions parts.

I’d pass too - unless they’re willing to let the car go for less than $2700. I haven’t heard too many things about Toyota’s AWD system, more than likely it shares RAV4 parts.
My wife has a 2009 RAV4 and it’s switchable. This Pontiac is full-time. I really wish it had an off switch.

Drove it today. CEL is on, recirc door is clicking under the dash, has been in a front end collision and the hood panel gaps are at least 3/8” different. It has a clean title so the wreck wasn’t bad enough to total it. Will need a muffler soon, and the oil was dark and about halfway between the marks. Transmission and drive train seemed solid and I didn’t notice any problem with the brakes. Needs a good interior scrubbing. I didn’t crawl under it but the car has Pennsylvania parking stickers so it’s probably seen some salt. It was supposedly purchased at a PA dealer auction and then driven six hours.

I could probably get it for $3k even but the CEL gives me pause. Wish I had remembered to take my code reader with me.

I‘m leaning toward passing but I‘m going to spring for a VIN report to see how many owners it has had.
Clean title doesn't mean anything. That just means insurance didn't pay out for the accident. It'll stay clean for an at fault accident with liability only insurance coverage.

Some dude in his backyard probably fixed it for cheap.

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
Oh look, Stellantis just issued a do-not-drive warning over those old Takata airbags... https://www.cnbc.com/2022/11/03/stellantis-park-older-models-after-3-takata-air-bag-deaths.html 3 deaths from them.
Like I said, if that Vibe hasn't had the airbag replaced yet I'd be making darn sure the recall replacement is at least available at your nearest GM dealership. Now you say it has a CEL on? Don't you take a OBD scanner with you when you buy a car? Rookie. (lol)
Don't waste your $$ on a VIN check just move on. It's obvious current owners didn't take care of that car and appreciate it. Sounds like a turd probably had 3-4 owners by now.

Oh look, Stellantis just issued a do-not-drive warning over those old Takata airbags... https://www.cnbc.com/2022/11/03/stellantis-park-older-models-after-3-takata-air-bag-deaths.html 3 deaths from them.
Like I said, if that Vibe hasn't had the airbag replaced yet I'd be making darn sure the recall replacement is at least available at your nearest GM dealership. Now you say it has a CEL on? Don't you take a OBD scanner with you when you buy a car? Rookie. (lol)
Don't waste your $$ on a VIN check just move on. It's obvious current owners didn't take care of that car and appreciate it. Sounds like a turd probably had 3-4 owners by now.
I forgot to take my scanner. It’s still there a week later.

The thing that gives me the most pause is the out of state title. I‘m guessing the dealer hasn’t transferred the title to KY and is still holding the PA title. KY requires a sheriff‘s inspection before titling an out of state car and I don’t know how rigorous those inspections are because the only out of state cars I’ve bought were either brand new or mechanically perfect used. I don’t mind driving a hooptie but I would hate for the poor body work or CEL to cause me to have to immediately spend money fixing cosmetic issues just to get it titled, and I don’t know what my recourse would be should it fail.

The fact nobody else has bought it says a lot I think. FWIW Toyota is handling the airbag recalls for these cars.

Few months back I bought lady friend 2007 toyota matrix FWD for 2500$with 180k so far running good.She bought 21 Corolla Hatchback.But I changed front rotor/pads,spark plugs,MAF,coolant,serpentine belt,ATF filter and fluids WS,cabin,air filter done.One year old battery,tires good,son using it for school.Bought set of steel wheels/winter tires to go on by December.Another son still driving 06 corolla with 131k for the last 9 years when we bought it used at 43k miles.
Fyi , that year specs T-IV.

Back