2005 Pontiac Vibe, 120k, $3600

A little family lot has a 2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD with 120k for $3600. I haven’t seen it in person nor seen a Carfax. The Vibe is basically a Toyota Matrix made by their joint venture with GM. Any reason buying one would be a bad idea, assuming everything checks out OK? I’ve been wanting to buy something with an automatic transmission because of my increasingly bothersome arthritis in my left knee. Both of my cars are manuals.

I would jump on that all day long. I paid 3k for this one:

A little family lot has a 2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD with 120k for $3600. I haven’t seen it in person nor seen a Carfax. The Vibe is basically a Toyota Matrix made by their joint venture with GM. Any reason buying one would be a bad idea, assuming everything checks out OK? I’ve been wanting to buy something with an automatic transmission because of my increasingly bothersome arthritis in my left knee. Both of my cars are manuals.
Guaranteed durability upon proper inspection, compression check, etc.

Have a maintenance plan with prevention of oil consumption in mind.

Those early NUMMI vehicles were of highest quality.

I am a Silicon Valley resident and previous owner (750k miles accrued) of a 2005 Tacoma, also built there.

I’d be careful with the AWD version.
The rear subframes are known to rot out pretty bad - probably something to inspect closely.

Outside of that, not much else to them. They’re solid vehicles as long as they weren’t abused too hard. Good luck!

Edit: I see you’re in Northern KY, so odds of rusted out rear subframe should be lower.

Mechanically, they're a Corolla wagon. My best friend has and '03, bought in 2010 with 120k at the time. it's had a fair amount of issues* over the past 12 yrs, but he's also put another 120k on it. with bare minimum maintenance, but it just keeps ticking.

*likes to eat starters, blower has been stuck on high the whole time, replaced everything but the switch panel with no luck. also has the classic blend door motor tick (stripped teeth on the plastic gears inside the actuator.)

fun facts:
the blend door problem i mentioned is b/c of a GM part. the Carolla/Matrix uses a different system that's not prone to that particular breakage.

The odometers on these cars stop at 299,999.9, they will NEVER roll over to 300k.

His was also a front end wreck thrown back together in a very "That'll Do" manner, and then flipped for $5k. (had I been able to see it before he bought it, i'd have told him to keep walking, but here it is still trucking along 12 years and another 120k mi later... I think he got his money's worth...)

You say you want an automatic transmission but I would say be careful about that particular one. My dad had a Matrix, lived on a hill, and used manual 2nd gear to get down the hill, blew his trans. Turns out there was a design defect and this problem is common.

Worser, the stick shifts in these cars are bad too, and the 1.8L engines burn oil. And the rockers rust out as well as, I guess, the subframes mentioned.

Run a history report. N. KY is close enough to the rust belt that I'd wan't to make sure it wasn't an auction car from Chicago. It's a good deal if it's in good shape, but if you don't need AWD, why buy one? Those are slow in FWD so the added weight of AWD make them feel anemic.

Few months back I bought lady friend 2007 toyota matrix FWD for 2500$with 180k so far running good.She bought 21 Corolla Hatchback.But I changed front rotor/pads,spark plugs,MAF,coolant,serpentine belt,ATF filter and fluids WS,cabin,air filter done.One year old battery,tires good,son using it for school.Bought set of steel wheels/winter tires to go on by December.Another son still driving 06 corolla with 131k for the last 9 years when we bought it used at 43k miles.

Had an '03 Matrix close to 3 years . Do thorough inspection . Look down into oil fill hole with a flashlight to see if clean ( sludge , etc. ) . Also , check engine air filter and cabin blower . These are a magnet for critters . Good luck and keep us up to date .

Last edited:
I called and talked to the guy. It’s still on the lot so I’m going to go look at it tomorrow. He said there’s no rust so that’s a good sign. Said the brakes pull a bit but would knock off a few bucks for new pads or rotors. I’m cautiously optimistic.

Back